Leinster v Cardiff

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Cardiff

Post by Mauler »

Don't RTE show the U20 games on the Friday prior to the Internationals? So perhaps thats why they have put on the game on Thursday?

Also, I cant see them ever moving a Pro12 game from the RDS / Lansdowne Road due to 13k+ season ticket holders. Regardless of the number of STH who would show up in say Athlone, Tallaght or Wexford, if the ground cant accommodate all of them, then its not going to happen. Wasn't that not one of the reasons sited about the warm up matches in Donnybrook not being included in Season Ticket package of games?
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I say this every August, but it's easy to fit the sths into d'brook for friendleys.
Make it free, but you have to apply for a ticket. First come first served. You could do the same with country games.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

ronk wrote:I'd say there's a TV element. RTE are covering that game but wouldn't have a whole lot of interest in showing even more rugby if they're already showing 3 6N games.

There may also be some advantages in terms of player availability, but I don't seem them.
They could put it on a digital channel maybe? I mean the cost of coverage will be the same. I suppose they won't have the numbers watching as you will have a few thousand regular attenders at the RDS who will now watch it at home if it's on Thursday.
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

The Leinster squad underwent their first on-field pitch session in UCD on Monday ahead of the visit of Cardiff Blues to the RDS on Friday night (KO: 8.05pm) in the RaboDirect PRO12...
The management report no fresh major injury concerns from Saturday’s victory over Benetton Treviso as the squad step up their preparations for the visit of Cardiff with a number of players who were rested at the weekend set to rejoin the panel this week.

Amongst them should be the likes of Isa Nacewa, who incidentally celebrated the birth of his third daughter, Lucy, last week, as well as Richardt Strauss and Heinke van der Merwe. Some of the Irish International contingent may also be available.

Fergus McFadden – who successfully came through 80 minutes after having been ruled out of the Round 2 Heineken Cup clash the previous week - completed a 100% kicking ratio and his 15-point haul in the 30-20 victory on Saturday brought his overall career tally to 190 points in 57 games.

Leo Auva’a’s first minute try, meanwhile, was his second five-pointer in Leinster colours since signing his first professional deal during the summer.

The team is expected to be announced on Thursday lunchtime.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

QBer wrote: Amongst them should be the likes of Isa Nacewa, who incidentally celebrated the birth of his third daughter, Lucy, last week, .
That's why he was skiving! Congratulations Isa.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

QBer wrote:The Leinster squad underwent their first on-field pitch session in UCD on Monday ahead of the visit of Cardiff Blues to the RDS on Friday night (KO: 8.05pm) in the RaboDirect PRO12...
Is this the first phase of Leinster's move to UCD?

Found this article from a week or so ago ...

Leinster Rugby CEO Michael Dawson and UCD President Hugh Brady have agreed that a training facility for Leinster Rugby will be built on UCD grounds.

Renovations are currently underway at the old Philips building on campus, with a number of first-class administrative offices being constructed there for use by Leinster Rugby.

The decision is expected to be implemented soon, says Breen, with dates as early as January 2012 being cited for the official move.

Peter Breen of Leinster Rugby told the University Observer that the agreement has been “on course, on budget, and it’s on time, so from that point of view it’s been first class.”

Leinster currently makes use of the UCD all-weather pitch facilities, but the plans include a new pitch which will be constructed specifically for use by Leinster Rugby.

Reasons being cited for the move include the plan to have all of Leinster Rugby’s training facilities in one central place. “It’s going to take Leinster into the future in terms of our administrative offices, as well as the team facility, the state-of-the-art gym and everything like that. It will be based up in the one centre so that will help Leinster organisationally and will provide them the best off-field preparation in terms of science.”

Breen says that advancements in facilities is part of a “natural progression” in rugby. He notes that the move marks a significant turning point in Leinster Rugby history and remarks that a long time has passed since the game first became professional and there were “players getting changed in the back of cars.”

Breen declined to comment on the cost of the move but said that it is being funded by private investors.
http://www.universityobserver.ie/2011/1 ... cd-campus/
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Actually just found this too ...
http://www.3rddimension.ie/news/leinster-rugby-gym/

Impressive facility!!!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Supposedly modelled on the Chelsea football training facilities and took into account other pro-sports such as American Football (sorry if this was mentioned in the article).

As good a facility as you will find in the world for a pro-team apperantly.

RE the game, if the league is to be taken seriously, then we need to be able to put out near to, if not full strength team for this. Cardiff are massive title contenders and we need to keep our nose in front of the pack.

I'm not overly worried about a once off Thursday game. Does seem bizzare though.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

[Jackass] wrote:
RE the game, if the league is to be taken seriously, then we need to be able to put out near to, if not full strength team for this. Cardiff are massive title contenders and we need to keep our nose in front of the pack.

I'm not overly worried about a once off Thursday game. Does seem bizzare though.
I agree with you on the full strength or as close as possible given who Cardiff are.

Didn't we have two Thursday games last year? Aironi comes to mind anyway - because it's not like the Italian teams won't draw a big crowd anyway :roll:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

fourthirtythree wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:

I agree with you on the full strength or as close as possible given who Cardiff are.

Didn't we have two Thursday games last year? Aironi comes to mind anyway - because it's not like the Italian teams won't draw a big crowd anyway :roll:
We had one against Aironi last season, and one against Glasgow (a rearranged fixture) the previous season.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

[Jackass] wrote: RE the game, if the league is to be taken seriously, then we need to be able to put out near to, if not full strength team for this. Cardiff are massive title contenders and we need to keep our nose in front of the pack.
Unfortunately, the Welsh Union have shown how seriously they take the league by withdrawing their internationals for a pointless game against Australia the next day. So the fixture is already damaged whatever Leinster do. In any case, we're not going to be at total full strength but we should be able to put out a decent enough team to get a win, which will be vital as our two biggest rivals, the Ospreys and Munster play the next day.

I'm going to go with

Isa
Dave K/ Conway (depending on injuries)
EOM
Ferg
Carr
Madigan
Boss

Leo A
Jenno
Locky
Dev
Leo C
White
Strauss
Heino
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Donny B. wrote: Unfortunately, the Welsh Union have shown how seriously they take the league by withdrawing their internationals for a pointless game against Australia the next day. So the fixture is already damaged whatever Leinster do. In any case, we're not going to be at total full strength but we should be able to put out a decent enough team to get a win, which will be vital as our two biggest rivals, the Ospreys and Munster play the next day.
The WRU don't make a lot of money from a RDP12 match in Dublin. They do for a match against Oz in the Millennium Stadium.

They have to be full strength for the match that sells tickets for them.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ronk wrote:
Donny B. wrote: Unfortunately, the Welsh Union have shown how seriously they take the league by withdrawing their internationals for a pointless game against Australia the next day. So the fixture is already damaged whatever Leinster do. In any case, we're not going to be at total full strength but we should be able to put out a decent enough team to get a win, which will be vital as our two biggest rivals, the Ospreys and Munster play the next day.
The WRU don't make a lot of money from a RDP12 match in Dublin. They do for a match against Oz in the Millennium Stadium.

Oh I know the reason is purely financial. Still a load of b*%&!cks though.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Most of the injury free frontliners will be back for Cardiff, in the 23 at least. Not going to go into our hardest HC pool games with them being 2 weeks without playing. Again for Cardiff away game before round 5 of HC. Know player management program individualised but most of the Ulster home games have seen both sides but especially Ulster having their Irish internationals rested, same for us with trips to Connacht, which are the 2 fixtures in between Bath home and Cardiff away.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Lar wrote:
cormac wrote:I simply don't understand the logic of how the Pro12 schedules games during the 6N. In the 2012 6N Ireland have home games against Wales (5th Feb), Italy (25th Feb) and Scotland (10th March). During this period Leinster play games against Welsh, Scottish and Italian opposition, yet none of the games are lined up to coincide with the relevant 6N game.
It can't be that straightforward to accommodate everyone in a 22 game series.....

Seeing as I am travelling to Paris for the France 6N game (on Friday) I for one am pleased the Leinster game is on the Thursday.

That said Thursday has to be a rubbish day for attracting the '12 County Army'. Can't see many fans coming from beyond metropolitan Dublin (or even some from within it) for Thursday evening kick offs.
Oh, most of us 'stick-dwellers' will travel all right- snow permitting! But it is a pain in the a**e: leaving directly from work and getting back home close to midnight. Not asking for any sympathy here; just let those who love to get in a "... and where all th ST holders?" whine to be a bit understanding. :(
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Donny B. wrote:
ronk wrote:

Oh I know the reason is purely financial. Still a load of b*%&!cks though.
Well... there's a definite debate there in terms of strategies towards developing the game. Focus on the club/ province or the national team. In our case it is undeniable that we more than punch our weight at provincial level; while the national team seems to b subdues by the "sum of its fears". The Welsh maybe the opposite (at least very recently) in getting it together with the national team, while their regions never really deliver on the talent. But while I do think the RDP12 has become more important to us than heretofore- I won't condemn a country for deciding its priority is its national team. There's definetly more of a feel-good factor about Wales than Ireland at the moment!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Don't get all this crying about the Welsh. We're going to be without a load of internationals too. We were without a load of internationals last weekend. Munster fielded an entirely 2nd string side against Embra. Ulster left out Best and Ferris, etc. We're no better than anyone else when it comes to taking the league seriously.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Danthefan wrote:Don't get all this crying about the Welsh. We're going to be without a load of internationals too. We were without a load of internationals last weekend. Munster fielded an entirely 2nd string side against Embra. Ulster left out Best and Ferris, etc. We're no better than anyone else when it comes to taking the league seriously.
Could not disagree more with you. Last season the top 3 ML teams in the regular season were Irish, and as we know two Irish teams made it into the Grand Final. In the prior season 2 of the top 4 teams in the regular season were Irish, while the Ospreys finished second they went on to beat us in the Grand Final. Going back to the 2008/09 season, Munster won it, Edinburgh were second and Leinster third. 2007/08 season Leinster won it, Cardiff second and Munster third. Even going back as far as the 2005/06 season the top three teams were all from Ireland, I could go on but I think you get my point. To say that the Irish teams don't take the league seriously is just plain wrong. Especially considering the success of them in the H Cup during this period. 4 wins, in 6 seasons.
Fair play to Munster for fielding a side with 13 changes to their H Cup team , with only one of Saturdays match day squad iNIQ and still they gained a 4 try bonus point win against Edinburgh.
As for the Wales v Australia game, like it or not, the International matches drive and fund the Provincial / club sides in all bar two countries, 50k plus will turn up for the game this weekend. If we want professional rugby in then 'fundraiser' Internationals will continue to be played. Think Philip Browne mentioned in a recent interview, that if 3 Irish Provinces got to the H Cup SF and two went on to contest the Final it would contribute less than 10% to IRFU coffers comparedto just one game in the 6N.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

artaneboy wrote: Well... there's a definite debate there in terms of strategies towards developing the game. Focus on the club/ province or the national team. In our case it is undeniable that we more than punch our weight at provincial level; while the national team seems to b subdues by the "sum of its fears". The Welsh maybe the opposite (at least very recently) in getting it together with the national team, while their regions never really deliver on the talent. But while I do think the RDP12 has become more important to us than heretofore- I won't condemn a country for deciding its priority is its national team. There's definetly more of a feel-good factor about Wales than Ireland at the moment!
There isn't really any debate. Wales and Ireland (and Scotland) come down strongly on the side of the international game. The provincial setup was and is subsidised as a way to develop, maintain and prepare players for the international game.

It doesn't really matter whether we, as fans, agree with that prioritisation. The Union owns and operates the provinces.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

GERRY THORNLEY

RUGBY NEWS ROUND-UP: ASSUREDLY, NO Irish player has ever done more to encourage young boys to take up rugby than Brian O’Driscoll, although at the same time, ironically, no position in the history of Irish rugby has seemed like more of a closed shop over the last 11 years than the green jersey with the number 13 on its back.

Now though, with Ireland resigned to facing their first Six Nations campaign without the great man since 1999, there is a posse of young pretenders jostling for a shot at replacing the seemingly irreplaceable. In the continuing absence of Keith Earls, the provincial midfields over the last few weeks have featured the inexperienced, uncapped quintet of Eoin O’Malley, Danny Barnes, Eoin Griffin, Darren Cave and Nevin Spence.

Luke Fitzgerald has also expressed his interest in having another run there, and Fergus McFadden, having had a couple of games there before injury ruled him out of the Heineken Cup game against Glasgow last Sunday week, yesterday made it clear he regards it as his favourite position.

“I’ve put my hand up of course,” he said with a smile as he acknowledged the stampede for the number 13 jersey. “I played there against Munster and Montpellier and felt I did well. I was injured for the Heineken home game against Glasgow and Eoin (O’Malley) played there and I thought he did great. He played well again against Treviso. That’s the competition and it’s at every position. It’s making everyone perform better and hopefully it’ll make me play better too.”

Judging by McFadden’s forays into Test rugby, the Irish management appear to regard him more as a winger, while under Joe Schmidt, more of his midfield game time has been at inside centre. He believes he can do a job at either 12 or 13, but admits to a preference for the latter.

“I can play both but 13 is probably my favourite. You probably get your hands on the ball in a bit more space, you’ve to make some good reads in defence. At 12, depending on the type of game, you might get your hands on the ball a bit more and be a bit more of a playmaker. Both have their pros and cons.”

Outside centre is widely regarded as the most difficult position on the pitch to defend and McFadden would agree. “It’s kind of the fulcrum because you’re a small bit vulnerable through set-piece, with the forwards tied up with lineouts and scrums, and you have to make good reads out there. As Brian has showed over the last 11 years for Ireland, it is key in defence.”

Last Saturday, necessity being the mother of invention, McFadden was obliged to return to the wing, which he regards as something worth having “in the locker”. Having made the cut for the World Cup squad, he does not regard himself as a victim of his versatility.

“No, as long as now that we are coming into a few of the bigger games I will get time in the centre. We’ll see how things pan out. At the moment in Leinster we have such a strong squad and the great thing is the lads who do come in do nearly equally as good a job as anyone else. It’s great.”

Leinster have no new injury concerns arising from their win in Treviso, and along with some of the international contingent who were rested for that game, it is anticipated Isa Nacewa, (who incidentally celebrated the birth of his third daughter, Lucy, last week), Richardt Strauss and Heinke van der Merwe will return.

Cian Healy also returned to training and scrum coach Greg Feek anticipated the Irish loose-head will be fit for consideration as Leinster seek to extend their eight-match unbeaten run.

McFadden believes Fionn Carr, having adapted to less game time than he’d have been accustomed to at Connacht, will become a better player under Schmidt. Regarding another of their Connacht recruits, Jamie Hagan probably has the furthest to travel, but similarly Feek has seen evidence of progress.

Feek particularly liked the way Hagan recovered from one or two bad scrums against Treviso. “As a coach, you look at that and see he got decked but he came back on the next one.

“As a tighthead you can never say ‘I never got caught in my whole rugby career, I won every scrum’. There are not too many tightheads in the world who can say that. With Jamie, I like the fact he came back and he hung in there and fought.

“For Jamie I think it is minute by minute,” added Feek. “Let’s not worry about next month, next week, next year. Every minute he gets on the field, let’s just make the most of it. A scrum goes for 15 seconds, get to the next one and we’re just trying to get him to do what he needs to do really. So, we’ll see.”

Already over 15,600 tickets have been sold for Friday’s game against Cardiff Blues at the RDS and tickets are on sale from www.leinsterrugby.ie, the Leinster Rugby Store (Donnybrook), Spar (Donnybrook) and Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.