New CEO - Shane Nolan

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

New CEO - Shane Nolan

Post by wixfjord »

Leinster Rugby and the IRFU have this morning announced the appointment of Shane Nolan as CEO of Leinster Rugby, in succession to Mick Dawson who is retiring after 21 years in the role.

Shane will join Leinster Rugby from Google where he is Managing Director, New Business Sales for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Shane has been a member of the Google Ireland Senior Leadership Team since 2017.

He will join Leinster Rugby as CEO in early November. Mick Dawson will continue in his current role until then to manage a seamless transition.

Shane has extensive experience in successfully leading diverse cross functional senior teams across operations, sales, marketing, public relations and legal.

His experience includes multi-stakeholder management including relationships with Government, regulatory, community and industry groups. He has also held non-executive roles in Plan Ireland, IAB Ireland and Buy4Now Ltd. Prior to joining Google in 2011, he held executive management roles in eircom, BT Plc and Fujitsu.

"We are delighted that Shane will be joining Leinster Rugby as our new CEO", said Debbie Carty, President of Leinster Rugby.

"A life-long sports enthusiast and active rugby supporter, Shane has an informed appreciation of the game across domestic and professional rugby in Leinster. He has a very strong track record as a senior leader of multi-disciplinary functions and teams, and we are excited to have him lead our outstanding team across the organisation through our next stage of development and growth.

"On behalf of all rugby people across the province, I’d like to thank Mick Dawson for his years of leadership and commitment to Leinster Rugby. He is a key architect of the successful development of Leinster Rugby in all its facets and he will leave an enduring legacy when he departs later this year."

IRFU CEO Kevin Potts said, "Shane was a stand-out candidate in a very strong field of applicants. Shane’s impressive senior leadership experience, rugby background and passion for the game will provide Leinster Rugby with another great leader following on from the departure of Mick Dawson.

"I look forward to working with Shane in the months and years ahead, and wish him every success as we thank Mick for all that he has done for Leinster and Irish rugby."

A native of Navan, Co. Meath, Shane was educated at Castleknock College and NUIG where he captained the 1st XV and represented Connacht Under 20s. He subsequently played for Navan RFC and is a decade long Leinster Rugby season ticket holder.

Shane Nolan said, "I am thrilled and honoured to be taking on the role of Leinster Rugby CEO.

"Leinster is a powerhouse in its field, both on and off the pitch, thanks to the brilliant leadership of Mick and all of the outstanding team at Leinster Rugby.

"I am excited to work with everyone in the organisation as we look to embark on the next stage of development and success."
D4surfer
Mullet

Re: New CEO - Shane Nolan

Post by D4surfer »

Nolan out.

Just getting in early. We don't want him to feel too comfortable.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

The lads tasked with coming up with the now standard guff about the new jersey must have been moved to producing this presser.

"Shane has extensive experience in successfully leading diverse cross functional senior teams across operations, sales, marketing, public relations and legal.

His experience includes multi-stakeholder management including relationships with Government, regulatory, community and industry groups. He has also held non-executive roles in Plan Ireland, IAB Ireland and Buy4Now Ltd. Prior to joining Google in 2011, he held executive management roles in eircom, BT Plc and Fujitsu."
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

"Plan Ireland"? I didn't know we had a plan and thought we just relied on "strokes"...
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

domhnallj wrote: July 28th, 2022, 4:46 pm The lads tasked with coming up with the now standard guff about the new jersey must have been moved to producing this presser.

"Shane has extensive experience in successfully leading diverse cross functional senior teams across operations, sales, marketing, public relations and legal.

His experience includes multi-stakeholder management including relationships with Government, regulatory, community and industry groups. He has also held non-executive roles in Plan Ireland, IAB Ireland and Buy4Now Ltd. Prior to joining Google in 2011, he held executive management roles in eircom, BT Plc and Fujitsu."
I don't think so, Domhnall. It seems to me that the press release probably uses some of the language that was formulated to describe all the various parts of the job that Mick did, i.e. everything.

For example, "multi-stakeholder management" sounds quite abstract ... my examples [in brackets below] would be who Mick dealt with:
- the government [various government departments, but mainly Sports/Tourism]
- regulatory [IRFU, World Rugby, URC/Celtic Rugby, EPCR]
- community [Leinster Branch – senior rugby, junior rugby, schools rugby, women's rugby, mixed ability rugby, mini rugby, CROs and outreach etc.]
- industry groups [Sky Sports, BT Sport, Super Sport, PRL, LNR]

Now, Nolan hasn't dealt with those exact bodies, because he wasn't doing Mick's job ... but the point that the release is trying to make is that he has experience in those sort of situations before, with equivalent or similar bodies or structures. He's not coming to the job solely from one of those backgrounds, i.e. regulatory or marketing.

All the best to the new man. He has to follow a master, and despite the fact that Mick has left him the job in a great position, it's always difficult to follow a guy who has set such a high standard.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Disappointed by this announcement which smells of "Committee Decision". The management speak accompanying this announcement give little real information about his suitability for the job.

Leinster Rugby needed a dramatic reorganisation after Mick Dawson, who grew the role as he grew into the role and discharged it magnificently.

The management task in Leinster Rugby requires expertise and familiarity with:

# Min & Youth Rugby up to under 17;
# Youth Rugby in urban & Rural Clubs and integration into Age-grade Reprexentative Rugby:
# Schools Rugby from u.90 to u.18 Rugby & integration to Age-grade Representative Rugby;
#The Leinster Academy & Sub Academy;
# The Leinster Professional Team Players, Pro Staff and Coaches;
# Leinster Club Rugby at every level;
# Leinster Clubs Administration & Governance;
# Development of female rugby at every level.

These responsibilities cannot be directly managed by one individual but the CEO must have an intimate knowledge of each aspect and its relevance to every other area, because they're all connected.

Leinster has never needed a HR management function. It will now. Leinster's financial management is headed by a highly competent, annually elected, volunteer. The role is closely aligned with the financial management and guidelines of the IRFU. This interface is critical and the CEO, or a direct report to him / her must be completely on top of all aspects.

Leinster should have announced how these various responsibilities and many others would be undertaken, post Mick Dawson. The machine is working well but it's about to lose it's central cog, not just the figurehead at the top. Not convinced that the replacement has the experience or background to keep all the spokes in order or can be the conduit between the Pro team and all of the support / development / club aspects.

It's a big, big responsibility.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:19 am Disappointed by this announcement which smells of "Committee Decision". The management speak accompanying this announcement give little real information about his suitability for the job.

As Hugo says above, the press release is literally written to showcase his to showcase the new guy's capability to take on key parts of Dawson's role.

You hadn't even heard of this fella yesterday morning, and you're now assuming you know better than all of the clearly very capable people who would've grilled him and signed off on this?!

It's foolish enough when someone says this about a player, even more foolish when someone says it about an exec who hasn't even landed in the job yet.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:19 am
Leinster has never needed a HR management function.
LR has two full time HR people, both of whom have been in place for 3+ years.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Well said wixfjord.

I for one am delighted to see that this appointment is one that technically is coming from outside Dublin and more representative of the 12 counties approach. Being part of Navan RFC he would have a great appreciation for the diversity that the game has with under age, womens rugby as well as special needs and the challenges it faces.

I’m happy to give him the benefit as he starts on this huge role filling very large shoes, but begin with hoping that he succeeds in filling if not overflowing those shoe sizes as opposed to straight away looking for his head
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Theleinsterlad wrote: July 29th, 2022, 10:55 am Well said wixfjord.

I for one am delighted to see that this appointment is one that technically is coming from outside Dublin and more representative of the 12 counties approach. Being part of Navan RFC he would have a great appreciation for the diversity that the game has with under age, womens rugby as well as special needs and the challenges it faces.

I’m happy to give him the benefit as he starts on this huge role filling very large shoes, but begin with hoping that he succeeds in filling if not overflowing those shoe sizes as opposed to straight away looking for his head
Me too!!! Good luck to him!!!
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Theleinsterlad wrote:Well said wixfjord.

I know a lot of people who are members of Navan RFC, none of them have heard of him.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

D4surfer wrote: July 28th, 2022, 4:22 pm Nolan out.

Just getting in early. We don't want him to feel too comfortable.
:D :D After Mick Dawson he has big boots to fill !! Hopefully he makes a huge success of it, good luck to him, a great role to get.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Theleinsterlad wrote: July 29th, 2022, 10:55 am Well said wixfjord.

It's the announcement, not the individual, that's my main beef.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Spotted someone on the social media saying, that if Shane Nolan as LR CEO was halfway as successful as his father, he'd be grand. Anyone know who his aul fella is?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Ruckedtobits wrote: July 29th, 2022, 6:10 pm
It's the announcement, not the individual, that's my main beef.
I only commented in order to deliver a burn of sun-surface proportions. In future I'll stick to zingers.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:19 am Disappointed by this announcement which smells of "Committee Decision". The management speak accompanying this announcement give little real information about his suitability for the job.

Leinster Rugby needed a dramatic reorganisation after Mick Dawson, who grew the role as he grew into the role and discharged it magnificently.

The management task in Leinster Rugby requires expertise and familiarity with:

# Min & Youth Rugby up to under 17;
# Youth Rugby in urban & Rural Clubs and integration into Age-grade Reprexentative Rugby:
# Schools Rugby from u.90 to u.18 Rugby & integration to Age-grade Representative Rugby;
#The Leinster Academy & Sub Academy;
# The Leinster Professional Team Players, Pro Staff and Coaches;
# Leinster Club Rugby at every level;
# Leinster Clubs Administration & Governance;
# Development of female rugby at every level.

These responsibilities cannot be directly managed by one individual but the CEO must have an intimate knowledge of each aspect and its relevance to every other area, because they're all connected.

Leinster has never needed a HR management function. It will now. Leinster's financial management is headed by a highly competent, annually elected, volunteer. The role is closely aligned with the financial management and guidelines of the IRFU. This interface is critical and the CEO, or a direct report to him / her must be completely on top of all aspects.

Leinster should have announced how these various responsibilities and many others would be undertaken, post Mick Dawson. The machine is working well but it's about to lose it's central cog, not just the figurehead at the top. Not convinced that the replacement has the experience or background to keep all the spokes in order or can be the conduit between the Pro team and all of the support / development / club aspects.

It's a big, big responsibility.
HR-ifying an organisation is the beginning of its demise.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I just don’t know how they allowed Dawson retire at all, short term planning if you ask me
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: August 5th, 2022, 10:17 pm I just don’t know how they allowed Dawson retire at all, short term planning if you ask me
He was only in his early 70s :mrgreen:
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

First glimpse of the new man -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9xoSgAPKU

On RDS:
'We're really working hard on hopefully having something positive to announce in early 2023'
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't know if this is anything to do with him but I believe we're leaving Adidas next summer. Think it's Castore taking over but can't remember for sure, it's one of the brands that's starting to get big in football and I think it's that one.