Tour to NZ 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

TMC
Knowledgeable

Re: Tour to NZ 2022

Post by TMC »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 15th, 2022, 4:35 pm
leinsterforever wrote: June 15th, 2022, 4:09 pm I can't get on board with your reading of it, Dave. I was looking at Regulation 8. A player has to be eligible to represent "the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team, the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team and the senior National Representative Sevens Team of the Union".

This team that's on tour is the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative team of the Irish Union. So to be selected to represent the team a player must be Irish eligible.
I know what you're saying, and you're 100% right, but the Maori all blacks are not a representative team - they're an invitational side, so you can choose to give the game as much weight or not as you like. Now, I would consider the Maori All Blacks to be an international side and I would cap players who play against them and as such I'd stick with Regulation 8. But thats a matter of choice. For example, MAB aren't covered by regulation 9 - player release (confirmed in 2016 when Eagles played them the day before we beat the All Blacks and the Eagles were unable to secure player release because exhibition games aren't covered by the regulation and ultimately thats what all games involving invitational sides are)
I was under the impression you had to have Maori ancestry to play for them, a minimum of one grandparent or something like that and their website says the following
Originally team selected was ‘loosely’ governed in terms of heritage, but now all players must have Māori whakapapa or genealogy confirmed in order to represent the side.

So they are limited in terms of who can play for them. Jagger for instance couldn't as far as I know he has no NZ ancestry
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TMC wrote: June 16th, 2022, 11:53 am
I was under the impression you had to have Maori ancestry to play for them, a minimum of one grandparent or something like that and their website says the following
Originally team selected was ‘loosely’ governed in terms of heritage, but now all players must have Māori whakapapa or genealogy confirmed in order to represent the side.

So they are limited in terms of who can play for them. Jagger for instance couldn't as far as I know he has no NZ ancestry
Yep, you have to have a certified Maori lineage to play for them now - thats a choice though that the MAB have made (and its the right choice), its not a World Rugby mandated thing.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/061 ... -up-rugby/

New Sweeper system to help speed up the game. Good, getting a bit sick of the TMO stoppages.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

paddyor wrote: June 16th, 2022, 4:10 pm https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/061 ... -up-rugby/

New Sweeper system to help speed up the game. Good, getting a bit sick of the TMO stoppages.
Very sick of them. There are just too many stoppages and long pauses in contemporary rugby.

We play a fast-paced game, but I think fans of practically every side [probably excluding South Africa, who tend to be particularly difficult] want to see

1] fewer referrals to the TMO - very difficult for referees, who use it as a crutch
2] quicker TMO decisions – tricky, but achievable; the NRL do it way better than union
3] less wasted time setting up scrums [which can best be achieved by referees verbally hurrying players up] - easy
4] less wasted time at lineouts [again, referees should hurry players up] - easy
5] water-carriers [non-medical staff] only allowed on the field once per half - easy

These are all aimed at spectators, particularly those attending the match. I don't think they're particularly pressing, but they'd all improve the game.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

American Football has a review system where a central broadcast unit does many of the reviews. Rather than sending people to 16 cities, they have 1 permanent unit covering multiple games. It's faster, more consistent, more correct and cheaper. Latency is fractions of a second. A head video ref explains the most complex decisions to TV audiences.

Some of the F1 teams do the same. The team of analysts and other stay at their office and review the telemetry. Saves millions, per team.

We're cutting back relatively by using local TMOs. But they can still only do one game each, and they need mobile facilities setup for each location. And it's slow slow slow.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote: June 16th, 2022, 10:19 pm American Football has a review system where a central broadcast unit does many of the reviews. Rather than sending people to 16 cities, they have 1 permanent unit covering multiple games. It's faster, more consistent, more correct and cheaper. Latency is fractions of a second. A head video ref explains the most complex decisions to TV audiences.

Some of the F1 teams do the same. The team of analysts and other stay at their office and review the telemetry. Saves millions, per team.

We're cutting back relatively by using local TMOs. But they can still only do one game each, and they need mobile facilities setup for each location. And it's slow slow slow.
Yeah the nfl is the gold standard imo. But, the game is less fluid and has lots of stoppages which I think lends itself to the review system. The average play time is less than the play clock. That’s a good point about the central system but most of their games are concurrent and there’s no national bias.

But thinking about it a bit more, maybe that’s what’s needed. If the TMO is checking an incident in real time then who is watching the game? Maybe some kind of central system is the way to go. If you can maintain a broadcast feed across borders then a central review system can’t be too hard.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The provocative TAB New Zealand advertising campaign around the Irish Rugby tour in NZ is typical of the Paddy Power-style marketing offensive to raise betting revenue and thus profitability. Perhaps the Irish Tour Party should respond by asking TAB New Zealand why they are considering selling their business, or part of it, to Australian betting companies.

TAB NZ is owned by the NZ Racing Board but is hardly able to offer decent prize money in racing events because it not been as successful as other industry-owned equivalent firms around the world.

Obviously, this campaign is targeted at the home audience but any provocative billboards will only serve to motivate the Irish Squad to try to beat NZ at home for the first time.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:52 am The provocative TAB New Zealand advertising campaign around the Irish Rugby tour in NZ is typical of the Paddy Power-style marketing offensive to raise betting revenue and thus profitability. Perhaps the Irish Tour Party should respond by asking TAB New Zealand why they are considering selling their business, or part of it, to Australian betting companies.

TAB NZ is owned by the NZ Racing Board but is hardly able to offer decent prize money in racing events because it not been as successful as other industry-owned equivalent firms around the world.

Obviously, this campaign is targeted at the home audience but any provocative billboards will only serve to motivate the Irish Squad to try to beat NZ at home for the first time.

Exactly. The Kiwis should be angry as they're clearly motivating ireland to drum up some free advertising which is working well.
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Given we as a country unleashed Paddy Power & their guerrilla marketing tactics in betting on the world we can hardly complain. Some of PPs stuff over the years has been very cheeky. TAB must be fecking ecstatic at the coverage. If their profile goes up arguably so does the price. Companies here have got cheap publicity in the past by offering win bonuses. All a sideshow. :roll:
Bring on the actual rugby.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

dropkick wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:59 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:52 am The provocative TAB New Zealand advertising campaign around the Irish Rugby tour in NZ is typical of the Paddy Power-style marketing offensive to raise betting revenue and thus profitability. Perhaps the Irish Tour Party should respond by asking TAB New Zealand why they are considering selling their business, or part of it, to Australian betting companies.

Exactly. The Kiwis should be angry as they're clearly motivating ireland to drum up some free advertising which is working well.
We did the exact same thing when PP put up anti English posters. Please keep that shite out of rugby.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

How can you "keep this out of rugby"? There's nothing scandalous about their advertising. Do WR bend down on a knee and beg various companies all over the world not to advertise some content that could be viewed as sledging? It is utterly pointless getting worked up about this.

I hadn't seen or heard of these adverts till I came here. Judging by the reaction I expecting some references to the famine or potatoes etc . One of the great features of not using any social media platforms is you're unaware that this exists and you're unaware that people find outrage in the smallest things.

0 wins in NZ. The 4 Kiwis in the team. The flight time to Auckland.

Ireland have never won in NZ. We beat them in November. It is 18 months from the next rwc. I'd hope we have all the motivation to win and don't need to rely on lame advertising to help us
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Are we looking at a 23 somewhat along the lines of:

Loughman, Herring, O'Toole, Beirne, McCarthy, Baird, Timoney, Coombes, Casey, Carbery, Lowe, Aki, Hume, Larmour, Lowry.
Heffernan, Porter, Bealham, Treadwell, Prendergast, Murray, Frawley, and Hansen.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I think he’ll go with injury/game time permitting strongest 15 for the NZ game with some of the bench double jobbing on the Māori bench. So for Wednesday

Loughman, Heffernqn O'Toole, Treadwell, McCarthy, Premdergast Timoney, Coombes, Casey, Carbery, Earls(c) Frawley Hume, Larmour, JOB .
Heerring, Healy, Bealham, Beirne Baird Murray, Lowry and Henshaw

Earls as captain for both Māori games, Don’t expect much change in the 23s bar injury or meltdown.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

The thoughts of Baird, Timoney and Coombes in the backrow is very nice, would love to see it.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Maori team...Image
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ngl, don’t know any of them bar Perenarra. Some of the names seem familiar.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

4 positive COVID cases in All Black camp - Ian Foster, John Plumtree, David Havili and Jack Goodhue.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

neill_m wrote: June 26th, 2022, 11:51 pm 4 positive COVID cases in All Black camp - Ian Foster, John Plumtree, David Havili and Jack Goodhue.
And now one in the Irish camp - Mack Hansen isolated from rest of team
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Scannell called up due to Herring injury. Henderson also injured but no replacement called up.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Would anyone know of a place that would be showing the Maori game in Dublin city centre on Wed morning?