Leinster v Munster, URC Final Round, Sat. 21st May, 7:15pm, Aviva

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Munster, URC Final Round, Sat. 21st May, 7:15pm, Aviva

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote: May 15th, 2022, 7:53 pm I'd start that headcase Martin Moloney on the openside. The lad is a kamikaze, doesn't know fear.
That's an upbringing in Athy for you.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote: May 15th, 2022, 7:53 pm
riocard911 wrote: May 15th, 2022, 6:34 pm This may be a dead-rubber fixture for us, but we need to at least give them impression of taking it seriously, otherwise we'll have our new pals in Safferland complaining, we let Munster win, in order to spare another Irish province a semi in the Southern Hemisphere.
I genuinely don't give a sh*t about noise like that. People whinging about Leinster being better than them are ten-a-penny.

This game is a free hit for us, and we should make it a hitting match. There's a lot of tickets sold, we're going to have a number of guys who have put their careers into the club for a long, long, time going out in front of a big crowd under lights ... so let's not waste the opportunity to tear into this crowd. Just sow it into them from gun to tape.

In the pack, I'd start the lads who are going to be heading off: Dirty Dev, Nugget, Pistol Pete Dooley, Black Jack Dunne and Dr. Josh Murphy. It's going to be a big day for them, they're going to want to get on the pitch and give it everything while they can. We won't have that many weapons in the backline, so our best option is to keep it grim and hand-to-hand. Keep the game tight and ugly, like a French semi-final. I'd start that headcase Martin Moloney on the openside. The lad is a kamikaze, doesn't know fear. All going to plan, the game will still be in the mixer in the 45-55 minute period and we can start bringing on lads to play some rugby football union, pass to Larmour for the first time in the game etc.

If I thought we could get away with a 7-1 split in this, I'd go for it. Would love to get Sean O'Brien or Alex Soroka involved. Would REALLY love to get Ferg out of retirement for it.

Forwards [1-8]: P. Dooley, S.Cronin, V. Abdeladze, D. Toner, J. Dunne, J. Murphy, M. Moloney, M. Deegan
Backs [9-15]: McCarthy, H. Byrne, R. Russell, J. Osborne, R. O'Loughlin, J. Larmour, M. O'Reilly
Subs [16-23]: E. Byrne, J. Tracy, T. Clarkson, R. Baird, J. McCarthy, S. Penny, C. Foley, D. Hawkshaw
Love it. The post, the reasoning and the squad.
Only thing I would change is starting Baird: give him a proper chance to put his hand up.

What's the situation with Dave? I saw him, Larmour and Tracey together on Saturday.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

hugonaut wrote: May 15th, 2022, 7:53 pm
riocard911 wrote: May 15th, 2022, 6:34 pm This may be a dead-rubber fixture for us, but we need to at least give them impression of taking it seriously, otherwise we'll have our new pals in Safferland complaining, we let Munster win, in order to spare another Irish province a semi in the Southern Hemisphere.
I genuinely don't give a sh*t about noise like that. People whinging about Leinster being better than them are ten-a-penny.

This game is a free hit for us, and we should make it a hitting match. There's a lot of tickets sold, we're going to have a number of guys who have put their careers into the club for a long, long, time going out in front of a big crowd under lights ... so let's not waste the opportunity to tear into this crowd. Just sow it into them from gun to tape.

In the pack, I'd start the lads who are going to be heading off: Dirty Dev, Nugget, Pistol Pete Dooley, Black Jack Dunne and Dr. Josh Murphy. It's going to be a big day for them, they're going to want to get on the pitch and give it everything while they can. We won't have that many weapons in the backline, so our best option is to keep it grim and hand-to-hand. Keep the game tight and ugly, like a French semi-final. I'd start that headcase Martin Moloney on the openside. The lad is a kamikaze, doesn't know fear. All going to plan, the game will still be in the mixer in the 45-55 minute period and we can start bringing on lads to play some rugby football union, pass to Larmour for the first time in the game etc.

If I thought we could get away with a 7-1 split in this, I'd go for it. Would love to get Sean O'Brien or Alex Soroka involved. Would REALLY love to get Ferg out of retirement for it.

Forwards [1-8]: P. Dooley, S.Cronin, V. Abdeladze, D. Toner, J. Dunne, J. Murphy, M. Moloney, M. Deegan
Backs [9-15]: McCarthy, H. Byrne, R. Russell, J. Osborne, R. O'Loughlin, J. Larmour, M. O'Reilly
Subs [16-23]: E. Byrne, J. Tracy, T. Clarkson, R. Baird, J. McCarthy, S. Penny, C. Foley, D. Hawkshaw
:happy clapper:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Dave is out.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 16th, 2022, 10:31 am Dave is out.
Thanks.

He still have a year left on his contract anyway, right?

Dev and Nugget definitely deserve to come off to a big round of applause at some point, and it seems like this is the most likely opportunity for both.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

curates_egg wrote: May 16th, 2022, 10:37 am
mildlyinterested wrote: May 16th, 2022, 10:31 am Dave is out.
Thanks.

He still have a year left on his contract anyway, right?

Dev and Nugget definitely deserve to come off to a big round of applause at some point, and it seems like this is the most likely opportunity for both.
Yeah one year left afaik.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster injury update:
Gavin Coombes (ankle), Chris Cloete (head) and Jack O’Sullivan (knee) will all return to training this week.
James French is reintegrating to rugby training this week as he finalises his return from a knee injury.
Mike Haley was removed from the game against Toulouse earlier this month after failing a HIA and is progressing through the return to play protocols. His availability will be determined later in the week.
Peter O’Mahony was removed from the game against Toulouse with a persistent stinger and will be managed through the week.
Simon Zebo is being managed for a chest/rib injury and will be unavailable for selection this week.
Damian de Allende is being treated for a chest injury and will be unavailable for selection this week.
Neil Cronin sustained an ankle injury in training last week and will go for a scan today.
Continuing to rehab: John Hodnett (knee), Dave Kilcoyne (neck), Tadhg Beirne (thigh), RG Snyman (knee).
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Coombes back in training already...and yet Munster fans are literally still going on about the malicious, career-ending tackle from Toner.
Given the libelous rabble-rousing from Munster bloggers, I have a slight concern that Toner's last home game might be marred by some booing.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote: May 16th, 2022, 12:50 pm Coombes back in training already...and yet Munster fans are literally still going on about the malicious, career-ending tackle from Toner.
Given the libelous rabble-rousing from Munster bloggers, I have a slight concern that Toner's last home game might be marred by some booing.
I was thinking this too. We’re mostly talking about the final, resting players, and giving guys a send off so I suspect they’ll be very fired up to spoil the party.

I don’t think DDA has been great for Munster but he’s still a big loss for them this weekend, they’ll be missing a focal point in that backline.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Make Toner captain
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

No Tracy for this one - out with a neck injury. Nugget certain to start.
Larmour is back training though.

Injury update from Leo - James Lowe (shin) and Furlong (ankle) will be further assessed.
https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/injury-upd ... rc-action/
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Possible Leinster side:

1. Ed Byrne
2. Sean Cronin
3. Vakh Abdaladze
4. Ryan Baird
5. Devin Toner
6. Josh Murphy
7. Scott Penny
8. Max Deegan
9. Cormac Foley
10. Harry Byrne
11. Adam Byrne
12. Rory O'Loughlin
13. Jamie Osborne
14. Jordan Larmour
15. Max O'Reilly
16. John McKee
17. Peter Dooley
18. Tom Clarkson
19. Jack Dunne
20. Alex Soroka
21. Ben Murphy
22. David Hawkshaw
23. Martin Moloney
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 16th, 2022, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

McCarthy would appear to be unavailable?
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 16th, 2022, 2:14 pm McCarthy would appear to be unavailable?
According to the update, he is: shoulder injury.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote: May 16th, 2022, 2:14 pm McCarthy would appear to be unavailable?
ah yes indeed.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Leaves us very light/inexperienced at scrum-half if we rest both JCB and McGrath.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

cormac wrote: May 16th, 2022, 2:24 pm Leaves us very light/inexperienced at scrum-half if we rest both JCB and McGrath.
ah well.. go well Foley and Ben Murphy.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Maybe Murphy was with the team in Leicester because they knew he might be needed this week?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ross Byrne and Ciaran Frawley training today so they could be set for a start in this.

Healy, McCarthy, McGrath and Ruddock also there from last weekends 23.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 16th, 2022, 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 16th, 2022, 3:22 pm Ross Byrne and Ciaran Frawley training today so they could be set for a start in this.

Healy and Ruddock also there from last weekends 23.
I think we might see Ross Byrne at 22 and Frawley at 23. I would also start Dooley at 1 with Ed Byrne at 17. I think we might see Rhys captaining the side at 6 with Dunne and Baird in the row and Josh Murphy and Dev to come on from a 6/2 bench split in the second half.