Women's Rugby World Cup

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Women's Rugby World Cup

Post by blockhead »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 25th, 2021, 11:23 pm Just watched this and the scenes at the end were truly awful, really feel for them.

No disrespect to McMahon (although I think she was lucky not to be sent off) but if Molloy had started I think they’d have won. There really needs to be some kind of investigation into that situation, it just seems off.

Djougang was unbelievable, not just the try, she had one handoff that knocked someone back about 5m. Moloney was great around the park too. I hadn’t really understood why Higgins was so highly rated but got it more today, could have seen her being top class by World Cup time.

One thing I really can’t get my head around is how little ball Parsons gets. It’s not like she needs space to do damage, just give her the ball as much as possible.
Higgins and I think one or two other players are the only ones to have played rugby from childhood. The rest are ex Basketball/Gaa players who decided to give rugby a crack and 3-6months later they're in the Ireland team.
Djougang is an exception, she never even heard of the sport about 4 years ago and now she's a world class front row off to ply her trade in France with Clermont.
She spent covid on the front line btw.
Girls don't play rugby in sufficient numbers to have a team, and if you manage to get enough to play for your club, who are you going to play against?
All your mates play Gaa, soccer or hockey at weekends why not give that a go instead.
You have to be really determined to hang around the local rugby club and play with the boys while all your pals are off together playing other sports.
You're going to get kicked off the team at 13 anyways. Why would ye bother?
Numbers, numbers, numbers! That's the only way it'll get better.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Desperately disappointing performance, I'm gutted for them. That yellow near the end proved decisive. As DC says above it's hard to face a post mortem right now.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Claire Molloy has retired. Absolutely top class player, she was genuinely brilliant every time I saw her play :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2021, 6:07 pm Claire Molloy has retired. Absolutely top class player, she was genuinely brilliant every time I saw her play :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
There was a point a couple of years ago when she was the best openside in Ireland. Not the best female openside, just the best openside. A legend of Irish rugby.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2021, 6:07 pm Claire Molloy has retired. Absolutely top class player, she was genuinely brilliant every time I saw her play :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
+1, +1. Five star performer every time.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

A good player and a very admirable role model. No doubt she will be a success in her next role.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There are a whole load of things that need doing with the womens game, but the structure at the top needs to change

There needs to be a Performance Director and Head of Elite Player Development. I'd put Philip Doyle in that role.

Anthony Eddy is currently Director of Womens and Sevens Rugby (m & f). I'd leave him in charge of the Sevens, and find a new Director of Womens Rugby - and I'd find it in the office of the South African High Performance Unit.
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Fiona Coughlan always seems very sensible and pragmatic when she is interviewed or commentating on rugby. Given her outstanding record as a captain, I think that she would have the skills, the personality and the credibility to work upwards and downwards as DoWR. An outstanding candidate for a role that should exist.

I understand that the union is cash-strapped and wants to move people who they are already paying around rather than taking on new staff, but Coughlan could be a long term plus for the union as an employee.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I should point out tha that the head of SA HPU is Lynne Cantwell
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote: September 28th, 2021, 2:43 pm Fiona Coughlan always seems very sensible and pragmatic when she is interviewed or commentating on rugby. Given her outstanding record as a captain, I think that she would have the skills, the personality and the credibility to work upwards and downwards as DoWR. An outstanding candidate for a role that should exist.

I understand that the union is cash-strapped and wants to move people who they are already paying around rather than taking on new staff, but Coughlan could be a long term plus for the union as an employee.
Wasn't she an agent too, or certainly worked with Niall Woods in some capacity, so would be used to dealing with the union in a non playing capacity and have commercial knowledge to go with everything else.

The more the merrier but I'm with Dave on Lynne Cantwell. It's hard not to notice that while we've f%~ked everything up SA announced an autumn tour today and I'm guessing Cantwell played a big role in that. Maybe someone like her could come in and come up with a credible plan that would convince the government to part with more money specifically for the women's game, not just running costs but something really trans-formative.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd have Fiona in as well As LRIP says, the more the merrier, especially when they are people of that stature.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

People should recognise that regardless of who is interviewed or contributes to this "fundamental review", that it will never be seen in public and controlled very tightly even within the IRFU.

On two previous occasions, post (men's) RWC 2007 and RWC 2015, no full Review Report was circulated to IRFU Committee members nor the Sports Council, nor (obviously) the media. No heads visibly rolled, no contracts were terminated and no specific future objectives were announced.

Unless this debate / Review has a public forum, it will be a waste of space and money. The only way to alter that is if a group of knowlegable women's rugby people publicly outlined 10 objectives for the future of Women's Rugby and the media lobby for those objectives to be publicly accepted by the IRFU.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 28th, 2021, 9:50 pm People should recognise that regardless of who is interviewed or contributes to this "fundamental review", that it will never be seen in public and controlled very tightly even within the IRFU.

On two previous occasions, post (men's) RWC 2007 and RWC 2015, no full Review Report was circulated to IRFU Committee members nor the Sports Council, nor (obviously) the media. No heads visibly rolled, no contracts were terminated and no specific future objectives were announced.

Unless this debate / Review has a public forum, it will be a waste of space and money. The only way to alter that is if a group of knowlegable women's rugby people publicly outlined 10 objectives for the future of Women's Rugby and the media lobby for those objectives to be publicly accepted by the IRFU.
I have no doubt whatsoever that you are 100% right. As I said after the last review...
The review, conducted by David Nucifora, cleared David Nucifora of any responsibility said David Nucifora. David Nucifora was said to be pleased with how David Nucifora conducted the review though he admitted that David Nucifora hadn't actually interviewed David Nucifora.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think this is a bit different, loads of clubs and former players who are speaking out and demanding answers and it’s far more wide ranging than a World Cup performance. I think there’s a feeling that something needed to be done after the 2017 World Cup and they’re not going to let it slide again. There’s been a push for a while now but things like the changing “room” disgrace and now the World Cup shambles means the IRFU can’t brush it under the carpet IMO.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

If only the IRFU could transform all this "outrage" into tickets sold for Women's internationals. Now that would be a start.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Outrage is more appealing than volunteering at a local club with the girls or womens section or going out of your way to spend your time or money solving the issue.

It's not just women's rugby people have to be 'seen' to be attacking a power structure and defending a seemingly less-privileged group.

At least 'rugby is brain damaging our kids' brigade are briefly occupied elsewhere.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Griggs gone. Had to happen.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Women's team matches against USA and Japan to be held at the RDS. A kick back to them for the first 2 Leinster games being at the Aviva do you think?
Anyone But New Zealand
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

FLIP wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 12:20 pm Women's team matches against USA and Japan to be held at the RDS. A kick back to them for the first 2 Leinster games being at the Aviva do you think?
First thing that popped into my head.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Going to be cavernous. At least in Donnybrook you can make it luck 1/2 full by letting people in for a fiver.
Start of a new era though, the only way is up, some good young players in that squad so here's hoping.

Parsons not on show at the World Cup is a real shame though.