Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by ronk »

All fair. But are Molony, Ryan, Dunne and Baird rising faster than Toner is falling and without Fardy.

There’s room there in the squad for a big tight head lock but there’s also a strong panel of 2nd rows. Especially if they can stay fit. I.e. improvable but solid.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 13th, 2021, 2:09 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 13th, 2021, 12:43 pm Bayonne relegated yesterday. Am sure there’ll be a few guys looking to get out of there.

One of them might be Mikitzadze. Ex Toulon, experienced, 20+st TH lock aged 29.

In the unlikely event we’re looking to take a punt on a guy to fill that spot we could do worse.
Gonna be 2 NIQ second-rows in Munster next season and at least one in Ulster and Connacht. Can't see use being allowed one to be honest (unless they decide everyone should have one).

Things change quickly in Rugby but on the face of it I just don't see our second row stocks being good enough to allow us to to wage an attack on Europe next season. Might need to go through a "Munster-like" building phase for a season or 2 (or 10)
Nail on the head here, unfortunately.

I agree with Wixfjord that Mikautadze has the size, strength and many other characteristics to be a really good fit for us, but the provinces are overladen with NIE second rows - Snyman and Jenkins in Munster, Carter in Ulster and Fifita in Connacht.

It's not a healthy situation and shouldn't have been allowed happen; I think Nucifora has taken his eye off the ball in this case, and events have gotten away from him ... particularly Quinn Roux departing.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

It's amazing how Jenkins counts as a back row from the point of view of Munster being allowed to sign him, but counts as a second row from the point of view of preventing us from singing one. One rule for Munster, another rule for everyone else.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

hugonaut wrote: June 14th, 2021, 10:11 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: June 13th, 2021, 2:09 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 13th, 2021, 12:43 pm Bayonne relegated yesterday. Am sure there’ll be a few guys looking to get out of there.

One of them might be Mikitzadze. Ex Toulon, experienced, 20+st TH lock aged 29.

In the unlikely event we’re looking to take a punt on a guy to fill that spot we could do worse.
Gonna be 2 NIQ second-rows in Munster next season and at least one in Ulster and Connacht. Can't see use being allowed one to be honest (unless they decide everyone should have one).

Things change quickly in Rugby but on the face of it I just don't see our second row stocks being good enough to allow us to to wage an attack on Europe next season. Might need to go through a "Munster-like" building phase for a season or 2 (or 10)
Nail on the head here, unfortunately.

I agree with Wixfjord that Mikautadze has the size, strength and many other characteristics to be a really good fit for us, but the provinces are overladen with NIE second rows - Snyman and Jenkins in Munster, Carter in Ulster and Fifita in Connacht.

It's not a healthy situation and shouldn't have been allowed happen; I think Nucifora has taken his eye off the ball in this case, and events have gotten away from him ... particularly Quinn Roux departing.
Mikautadze is a penalty machine, no thanks.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There are 3 proper tighthead locks in Ireland with the power for the international game. Roux and Kleyn, both were South African project players. Snyman is the elite all-action tighthead lock.

Roux is leaving because French sides want tighthead locks so much more than we do. Outbidding the French sides is highly unrealistic right now.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Connacht have added Leinster prop Greg McGrath to their squad ahead of next season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: June 17th, 2021, 2:08 pm Connacht have added Leinster prop Greg McGrath to their squad ahead of next season.
Nice to see him get a shot. Hope it works out for him.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Are we still waiting on Leinster to confirm some of the squad to be leaving or staying?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

haven't confirmed future of academy players in last year in academy. (Patterson, Silvester & O'Sullivan)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Cian Kelleher, Hugh O'Sullivan, Rowan Osborne and Greg McGrath all confirmed to be leaving.

Just waiting to hear on year 3 academy players: Paddy Patterson, Michael Silvester, Aaron O'Sullivan.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: July 1st, 2021, 2:15 pm Cian Kelleher, Hugh O'Sullivan, Rowan Osborne and Greg McGrath all confirmed to be leaving.

Just waiting to hear on year 3 academy players: Paddy Patterson, Michael Silvester, Aaron O'Sullivan.
Kelleher is doing a masters at Brunel University. That explains his move to Ealing.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Hughie O’Sullivan to NotNots
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Xanthippe wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 12:08 pm Hughie O’Sullivan to NotNots
They moved to Brentfor so AreNots and given no. of Irish probably AreAres
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

paddyor wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 3:24 pm
Xanthippe wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 12:08 pm Hughie O’Sullivan to NotNots
They moved to Brentfor so AreNots and given no. of Irish probably AreAres
Saw them retweeting England Rugby’s “Let’s go” tweet against Ireland. They are definitely nots
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The ishish's?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

London Ir-ish
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

The Brentford Somewhats
Anyone But New Zealand
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster player of the year: Robbie Henshaw
Leinster young player of the year: Ronan Kelleher
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: July 9th, 2021, 7:08 pm Leinster player of the year: Robbie Henshaw
Leinster young player of the year: Ronan Kelleher
No qualms about Robbie but would have had Scott penny for young player
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Two well justified selections. Kelleher has made enormous progress this Season and it has been recognised at national level.