Rainbow Cup Final

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

JohnB
Graduate

Rainbow Cup Final

Post by JohnB »

Treviso leading the Bulls by 20-8 at HT with the Bulls down to 14 men for the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half. The Bulls not covering themselves in glory this far.
JohnB
Graduate

Re: Rainbow Cup Final

Post by JohnB »

30-8 now to Treviso at 47 mins. Bulls have been cack so far.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

35-8 at 57 mins!
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

I wonder if the Bulls supporters will be fulminating on their forums after the game about Frank Murphy?!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Perhaps the Bulls need to sign a big south african second ro...oh, hang on...
I have Bumbleflex
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

The Bulls have been utterly cack. I know they are missing players to the Springboks squad and to their Currie Cup squad but they have been very, very poor. Well played Treviso who have used space very well in the tries they scored.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I think Treviso are better than we give give them credit for but the format of the normal Pro14 and HC demotivates them.

With a clear run at a pot they upped their game.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: June 19th, 2021, 8:18 pm I think Treviso are better than we give give them credit for but the format of the normal Pro14 and HC demotivates them.

With a clear run at a pot they upped their game.
Remember their Pro 14 & EPCR runs in 2018 / 2019 season (?). 3rd in the League and unlucky to be beaten by 3 points in Thomand Park in Q/F. The following season a number of their young players were lost for 4 months to the 6N Squad and they hadn't the depth to survive that. Given the new schedule of the Tournament next season, expect them to be competitive under a new Italian Coaching ticket.

This is a great result for European rugby and will give a boost to the new competition next Season. Treviso are losing good players to Sarries (THP) and Quins (Tommaso Allen) but should have new depth and be competitive enough.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

JohnB wrote: June 19th, 2021, 7:18 pm The Bulls have been utterly cack. I know they are missing players to the Springboks squad and to their Currie Cup squad but they have been very, very poor. Well played Treviso who have used space very well in the tries they scored.
Many of their big names played against Benetton instead of in the Currie Cup.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

None of the senior squad were available for selection for the Currie Cup - they had to dip into club rugby for players for the CC squad (including former Zebre hooker, Sidney Tobias, son of the great Errol)
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I am absolutely delighted for Treviso.

Having lived and worked near Treviso for over a year, I spent a fair few weekends cheering them on.

There is a strong chance that this may be the only bit of silverware that they will win for the foreseeable future, but I would love if this was to be be a catalyst to up their game and get more bums on seats.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

munster#1 wrote: June 19th, 2021, 11:27 pm I am absolutely delighted for Treviso.

Having lived and worked near Treviso for over a year, I spent a fair few weekends cheering them on.

There is a strong chance that this may be the only bit of silverware that they will win for the foreseeable future, but I would love if this was to be be a catalyst to up their game and get more bums on seats.
Agree - not sure I'd make too much of it but fair dues - am delighted for Treviso. Actually would have expected Saffers, albeit depleted, to front up more,
maybe a portent to their away expectations in the new league!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The era where Italy beat Ireland (pre 6N) coincided with Dominguez pulling the strings.

Early to say for certain but if Garbisi hits that level then Italy could have a renaissance.

In any case he's a 21 year old outhalf who just starred when winning a tournament involving 5 big rugby nations.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The opportunities haven't been so good for Italian rugby since the start of the 6N and joining the Pro14.

They have won a tournament and have a chance to try and expand their fanbase. The new pool format of the UC gives them a run at a conference and less games against the Irish powerhouses. That brings both playoff action and HC qualification. The new HC format has a much higher chance of knockout games and a guaranteed home knockout game if you make them.

UC teams that made big inroads usually suffered breakups of their coaching team and some key players. If the FIR can Carpe Diem they could really build the game.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

That’s a great result for Italian rugby and fair play to treviso. Great result and gives the SA sides a reality check on having to play their best players for the games next season
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

That was a brilliant result for Benetton and Italian Rugby. I know we slagged it off but for Benetton to win this one of Rainbow Cup is simply huge. For Italian Rugby to win something, anything is a massive boost.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

blockhead wrote: June 20th, 2021, 11:23 pm That was a brilliant result for Benetton and Italian Rugby. I know we slagged it off but for Benetton to win this one of Rainbow Cup is simply huge. For Italian Rugby to win something, anything is a massive boost.
Absolutely. For me, Benetton winning it in some way redeemed the tournament.
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dexter wrote: June 21st, 2021, 11:35 am
blockhead wrote: June 20th, 2021, 11:23 pm That was a brilliant result for Benetton and Italian Rugby. I know we slagged it off but for Benetton to win this one of Rainbow Cup is simply huge. For Italian Rugby to win something, anything is a massive boost.
Absolutely. For me, Benetton winning it in some way redeemed the tournament.
I'm with you on that.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The bulls looked shell-shocked which didnt help their performance. They were expecting a nice holiday and just turn up on the day for an easy win. I don't really blame them because the South African media were talking about winning the European Cup during the week. Not sure they rate northern hemisphere teams too highly so God knows what they thought of benetton.

Turns out things might not be as easy as they thought although I expect them to be much better next season. I think a full strength Benetton are a good side who should be challenging for a top 8 spot next season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There's more to the story but Italy looked a more competitive side before they joined the 6N than once they were in.