Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

tigerburnie
Enlightened

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by tigerburnie »

FLIP wrote: November 13th, 2020, 2:10 pm Geordan Murphy has been shown the door at Leicester.

We can't really say if he has any credentials as a coach or not going forward because Leicester were so structurally bad the last few years. They could have had a top coach there who wouldn't have been able to do more than paper over the cracks.

I guess we'll see.
Well it's early days in this odd world we are in, but I'd like to think we are slowly getting some of our old dog back in the side, last year we'd have rolled over at 14-0 down. Perhaps Borthwick is is an unknown as a coach, but along with the rest I think the cracks are being filled with something a bit more substantial than paper, Northampton away next week will be the next test.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Saracens lose 27-26 to Ealing Trailfinders in a warm-up game for the Championship. With Billy V and Koch playing too.
Anyone But New Zealand
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

FLIP wrote: January 16th, 2021, 6:34 pm Saracens lose 27-26 to Ealing Trailfinders in a warm-up game for the Championship. With Billy V and Koch playing too.
schadenfreude aside...I wouldn't read too much into this. the rest of their internationals are on "pre-season" training which I read as shorthand for 6N training. this was a warm up game for the championship which starts in march. McCall is no slouch. I reckon he will ensure salarycens get promoted and come back into the premiership and europe with a vengance..assuming they can find ways to bank roll their "stars" in the meantime..
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

correction. They have scrapped relegation this season in the premiership, which means Salarycens (or Ealing!!!) will have to wait until the 2022/23 season for promotion!!!!! That is a lot of time for a bunch of english internationals to be playing in the championship....
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Last I saw they would suspend relegation but still allow a single team to be promoted each year. So that’d be a 13 team division next season and 14 for year 2. That may have changed so happy to be corrected if so.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Fan with smartphone wrote: January 18th, 2021, 12:25 am Last I saw they would suspend relegation but still allow a single team to be promoted each year. So that’d be a 13 team division next season and 14 for year 2. That may have changed so happy to be corrected if so.
I think you're correct FwS. The Rugby paper reported https://twitter.com/TheRugbyPaper/statu ... 26/photo/1 no relegation...but one club comes up and then they ring fence the prem. neatly allowing salarycens to pop back up.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Aye that’s similar to what I saw, although getting a season played to get promotion isn’t guaranteed I guess. Presumably would be Saracens and then Ealing, but there’s a window of opportunity for a sugar daddy to sneak in and strike there!

My understanding is that once it went to a 14 team division, the team last in the premiership would have a relegation playoff with the top team from the championship, rather than automatic promotion/relegation. It’s as close to ring fencing as they can get I suppose, but maybe represents a compromise between prl and rfu. Never waste a good crisis.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Relegation scrapped for 20/21 season. 13 team league in 21/22 with winner of championship joining the current 12.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

neill_m wrote: February 12th, 2021, 3:25 pm ... with winner of championship joining the current 12.
I wonder how they'll decide that?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The Doc wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm
neill_m wrote: February 12th, 2021, 3:25 pm ... with winner of championship joining the current 12.
I wonder how they'll decide that?
I believe it is a 2 legged final between the top 2 after 10 league games (5 home / 5 away) for each side :wink:

London Scottish chose not to participate even with financial support being provided towards COVID testing etc, so 11 teams participating.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Saracens were beaten in their first game today in the championship

CORNISH PIRATES 25
Tries: Duncan, Frost, Davies. Cons: Scully (2) Pens: Scully (2)

SARACENS 17
Tries: Maitland, Lewington, Swinson. Cons: Vunipola (1)
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: March 6th, 2021, 6:10 pm Saracens were beaten in their first game today in the championship

CORNISH PIRATES 25

SARACENS 17

Going to bed with tears in my eyes.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Some decent players on the Saracens 23.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

blockhead wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:22 pm Some decent players on the Saracens 23.
15 Obatoyinbo
14 Lewington
13 Taylor
12 Socino
11 Maitland
10 Vunipola
9 Davies
1 Barrington
2 Pifeleti
3 Koch
4 Hunter-Hill
5 Swinson
6 Rhodes
7 Reffell
8 Wray

you're not wrong blockhead. seven internationals in there with 165 Test caps between them.
I guess every championship team will treat their clash with saracens with added zest. the few fans saracens have left have been going ballistic about the 10quid per game streaming charge....! BT sport pass for 1 month is 25quid...similar for sky.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: March 6th, 2021, 6:10 pm Saracens were beaten in their first game today in the championship

CORNISH PIRATES 25

SARACENS 17
Mods, can you you move this chat to the Greene King IPA Championship thread please?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:16 pm

CORNISH PIRATES 25

SARACENS 17
Mods, can you you move this chat to the Greene King IPA Championship thread please?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Watching Bristol v Gloucester. Bristol 25 - 7 to the good.

Gloucester are getting absolutely hammered but scoreline doesn't seem so bad as thegot a Real Red Card in the 15th minute.

Proof if ever proof was needed that scorelines can flatter to deceive. Bristol have had 9 tries disallowed. That is a massive 45 points without conversions.

Gloucester had a try disallowed too.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Just as I post Bristol get a 4th try.

32 - 7
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Anybody watching the end of the Leicester/Bristol game? :shock:

That......was ....Insane :D
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 5th, 2021, 4:56 pm Anybody watching the end of the Leicester/Bristol game? :shock:

That......was ....Insane :D

Pure theatre. There could be repercussions against Lam, Afoa, Wigglesworth, Hughes, Genge.............or nobody. I started to describe what had occurred a while ago to a mate but it was too complex. You've really got to see it to get the reality of how crazy it was when the final whistle went on 90 minutes.