European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Lock9541
Graduate

Re: European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

Post by Lock9541 »

Caliphi wrote: April 27th, 2021, 9:01 pm Am I imagining it, or are we the only club with an epidemic of hamstring issues?
It’s the most common sports injury to be fair
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If it comes down to kicking at the weekend, Ross should have the upper hand.
He's on 92% from the tee.

Meanwhile West is on sub 70% for La Rochlle.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Not sure why we're giving LAR 5 days notice that Sexton is out?
2.00 pm on Sunday would be fine.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Barry wrote: April 27th, 2021, 10:29 pm Not sure why we're giving LAR 5 days notice that Sexton is out?

That slot is reserved for Frawley
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

wixfjord wrote: April 27th, 2021, 10:04 pm If it comes down to kicking at the weekend, Ross should have the upper hand.
He's on 92% from the tee.

Meanwhile West is on sub 70% for La Rochlle.
Not in the H-Cup he isn’t - he’s on 78% (14/18)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Caliphi wrote: April 27th, 2021, 9:01 pm Am I imagining it, or are we the only club with an epidemic of hamstring issues?
A hamdemic even. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Barry wrote: April 27th, 2021, 10:29 pm Not sure why we're giving LAR 5 days notice that Sexton is out?

It's so at odds with our normal practice!

To be fair I think more people on here have complained about the constant teasing of the possibility of injured players returning that Leinster have done for years. I always appreciated the approach of Gatland over Schmidt: name your team early. Why not? It tells your squad that they are all trusted and the crucial part is that they are prepared.

Leo and Stu say that and that they only select players in the squad long enough to have prepared with the group. Go for it. Ross has the winning of the European cup in him and the experience to do it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

West and Kerr-Barlow both fit for the weekend according to Gibbes.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leo tells the players they are starting from the beginning of the week.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Ross was superb v Exeter, he will be fine.

The big risk factor for Leinster is early injuries to Luke or Ross, if they stay on the pitch for most of the game we will win. An early injury to either and it could be sketchy. Assuming of course no RPG or Harry B.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Could Ross and Luke maybe, just, like, skip the Captain's Run?...... Asking for a friend.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Blueberry wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:02 pm Ross was superb v Exeter, he will be fine.

The big risk factor for Leinster is early injuries to Luke or Ross, if they stay on the pitch for most of the game we will win. An early injury to either and it could be sketchy. Assuming of course no RPG or Harry B.
Is Harry Byrne our third choice out half? Woulda said Ciaran Frawley meself.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

outcast eddie wrote: April 28th, 2021, 4:15 pm
Blueberry wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:02 pm Ross was superb v Exeter, he will be fine.

The numbers for this year say otherwise: it's Harry. That said it's moot this weekend...
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

outcast eddie wrote: April 28th, 2021, 4:15 pm

Harry is clearly the 3rd choice 10.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I've been picking through various bits of LAR coverage from 2020-21 and they have certainly assembled a Squad of considerable size, strength and talent. I'm sure that Leo, Stuart, their fellow Coaches have had a fascinating time analysing how they play, where they play and what they play at different points.

When they're allowed play as they want, they're very difficult to stop. But clearly a good number of the opposition Coaches have given them plenty of study and the games against Toulouse, Stade Francais, Racing and Castres in particular show some of the ways of playing against them. Almost unanimously, they seem to agree that concentrating on defence is vital. Nobody in French Rugby believes that you can 'do a Kevin Keegan on them and just score more tries than them.

This is unlikely to be a try-fest, much more a grind. We'll possibly be looking to keep them in their half, on our left touchline and looking for penalties from pressure. They'll be looking to put big runners in half-gaps bang down the middle and plays lots of 4/5 phase plays from starter positions in our half.

Physical chess and very taut.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

First things first don't start like you did vs Exeter , you don't want this lot 14 nil up at home and with the sun on their backs

If you win the toss take the kick off kick it to them and get some field advantage and put early pressure on them

Keep the score board ticking over to, take all the shots at goal you get and don't be afraid to drop at goal

Their wingers are both really quick strong lads but not seen anyone cross kick to them, certainly worth a few of those and see how they cope, not that the leinster brains trust needs any help from me I'm sure they will have their game plan figured out

I'd say this game will come down to whose 8 9 and 10 dictate matters best, if it comes down to a tight game in the last quarter you'd back leinster will all that experience of knock out rugby if sexton was fit I'd have you handy faves to win. Without him I'd say it's a fair bit close but I think you'll sneak it by 1 score
BlockB
Bookworm

Post by BlockB »

Maybe it's just lockdown but the buildup to this game feels somewhat subdued.

Have been gradually getting more nervous as the week has gone on. SH is obviously a big worry and seeing JGP's name in the 23 would definitely help me sleep better on Saturday night. As JB mentioned above, it's crucial that we start well. Against both Exeter and Saracens (2020) we've been slow out of the blocks and seemed very nervous. If we can start well it should do our confidence a lot of good.

A number of times against Sale, especially in the first half, LR had real difficulty exiting their 22. Sale put them under big pressure at times and got great field position out of it. This is an area we can definitely exploit, even more so with Ross starting.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Be great to see an auld drop goal, can’t remember last time I seen us score a drop. I’m 09 we got a drop in the semi and a couple on the final.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

BlockB wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:24 pm Maybe it's just lockdown but the buildup to this game feels somewhat subdued.

Have been gradually getting more nervous as the week has gone on. SH is obviously a big worry and seeing JGP's name in the 23 would definitely help me sleep better on Saturday night. As JB mentioned above, it's crucial that we start well. Against both Exeter and Saracens (2020) we've been slow out of the blocks and seemed very nervous. If we can start well it should do our confidence a lot of good.

A number of times against Sale, especially in the first half, LR had real difficulty exiting their 22. Sale put them under big pressure at times and got great field position out of it. This is an area we can definitely exploit, even more so with Ross starting.
Nobody can go to it, we've no history with La Rochelle and you can't watch the Top14 in Ireland.
BlockB
Bookworm

Post by BlockB »

hugonaut wrote: April 29th, 2021, 2:14 pm
BlockB wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:24 pm Maybe it's just lockdown but the buildup to this game feels somewhat subdued.

Nobody can go to it, we've no history with La Rochelle and you can't watch the Top14 in Ireland.
Agree that the lack of crowds undoubtedly plays a part but not sure about the other part. Agree that we've far more history and links with Toulouse and Clermont but if anything the 'ROG's La Rochelle' angle has (predictably) been the main point of interest for many here in Ireland.