European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:20 pm Wow, big big focus on McGrath and Ross B now.

Sounds like JGP is touch and go to bench.

LR have clearly taken a new stance on head injuries in the last few months with Doris, JR and JS all training but not being risked for big games, which is commendable.
I was just wondering about this, is it happening elsewhere or specific to Leinster/Ireland players? Maybe we've just been particularly unlucky or maybe I just haven't noticed it happening elsewhere. I've also noticed that journalists are referring to "brain injuries" instead of concussion.

I really do worry about certain players when they reappear quickly after head knocks, must say I find this new approach very reassuring that things are heading in the right direction.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:35 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:20 pm Wow, big big focus on McGrath and Ross B now.

LR have clearly taken a new stance on head injuries in the last few months with Doris, JR and JS all training but not being risked for big games, which is commendable.
I was just wondering about this, is it happening elsewhere or specific to Leinster/Ireland players? Maybe we've just been particularly unlucky or maybe I just haven't noticed it happening elsewhere. I've also noticed that journalists are referring to "brain injuries" instead of concussion.

I really do worry about certain players when they reappear quickly after head knocks, must say I find this new approach very reassuring that things are heading in the right direction.
Didn't Kilcoyne return less than a week after failing a HIA?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember instances before where players have been training for weeks but still ruled out. It seems there's an 'extra careful' mentality over the last few months.

I'm sure that was tested with Sexton for an away SF (he's training today!).
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:32 pm
RoboProp wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:21 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:15 pm Not going to reveal my source but I believe Johnny may be out.
Is it Col Mustard in the library?
I think mustard is a condiment, not a source.
A sauce or a source :lol:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Depends on which part of Devon you're fron
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

RoboProp wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:47 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:32 pm
RoboProp wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Is it Col Mustard in the library?
I think mustard is a condiment, not a source.
A sauce or a source :lol:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:39 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Didn't Kilcoyne return less than a week after failing a HIA?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember instances before where players have been training for weeks but still ruled out. It seems there's an 'extra careful' mentality over the last few months.

I'm sure that was tested with Sexton for an away SF (he's training today!).
Knew there was a big one recently but couldn't think was it was, maybe it is just a Leinster thing then.

I appreciate that we don't have any real info on this but if this is a change in approach purely by Leinster then that's a really bold move that deserves a lot of respect.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

How fortunate are we to have a replacement 10 of the quality of Ross Byrne? It's not that long ago that Cathal Marsh played most of a Champions Cup game after Sexton went down injured early on (Castres away? Wilsooooooon!). No offence to Cathal, but he's no Ross Byrne.

As other posters have noted, the depth chart (after injury) is pretty shallow at present. We may have to choose between Ciarán Frawley and Harry Byrne for the 22 jersey, or it may be that neither is available, in which case David Hawkshaw will presumably be on the bench.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

joooooe wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:02 pm How fortunate are we to have a replacement 10 of the quality of Ross Byrne? It's not that long ago that Cathal Marsh played most of a Champions Cup game after Sexton went down injured early on (Castres away? Wilsooooooon!). No offence to Cathal, but he's no Ross Byrne.

As other posters have noted, the depth chart (after injury) is pretty shallow at present. We may have to choose between Ciarán Frawley and Harry Byrne for the 22 jersey, or it may be that neither is available, in which case David Hawkshaw will presumably be on the bench.
I think that was away to Wasps, where we proceeded to ship 50+ points.
Dont Panic!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Big blow this, sexton a top player and is usually excellent in the big pressure games

Byrne was really good vs Exeter though and will have a very good 9 and 12 to help him out

Leinster still favourites I'd guess even if the odds have shortened
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

joooooe wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:02 pm How fortunate are we to have a replacement 10 of the quality of Ross Byrne? It's not that long ago that Cathal Marsh played most of a Champions Cup game after Sexton went down injured early on (Castres away? Wilsooooooon!). No offence to Cathal, but he's no Ross Byrne.

Neither pictured at training as far as I can see (Likewise for Doris and JGP)

Edit: In fairness, now that I think about about it there's a whole load of players not showing up in the photos. So either take no notice....... or panic, it's up to you :D
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Bench will be interesting, if they do go with JGP and Frawley/Byrne I would hazard they will then do a 5/3 for fear that one of those could get injured when they go on. God every time Ross gets hit I’m going to have to look away.

In answer to another post I think we are very lucky to have Ross with J10 out. He has all the things we need in our 10 both with the ball and without. Dare I say if he does another Exeter performance is the jersey slowly finally changing hands...
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:44 pm Bench will be interesting, if they do go with JGP and Frawley/Byrne I would hazard they will then do a 5/3 for fear that one of those could get injured when they go on. God every time Ross gets hit I’m going to have to look away.

In answer to another post I think we are very lucky to have Ross with J10 out. He has all the things we need in our 10 both with the ball and without. Dare I say if he does another Exeter performance is the jersey slowly finally changing hands...
He's the Prince Charles of Leinster rugby. Sexton will probably play for another decade while Ross Byrne waits patiently for his turn, only to have to abdicate to a younger family member when the opportunity eventually arises.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Dexter wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:13 pm

It was. I was unfortunate enough to be there!! Lol! Wd actually went ahead through a Zane Kirchner try but that was as good as it got. We were awful after the first 5 mins. Think it was Leo's first season in Europe.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Probably pinning their hopes on frawley being fit. Harry obviously out. I'm slightly more concerned that jgp isnt going to make it. If luke goes down then we are truly in the ****.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Dexter wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:13 pm

Ah I think that's a bit unfair on the Ginger Prince. The only H-Cup game we won that season was the home game against Bath - the one game Sexton didn't actually start!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Also, isn't it about time we had the option to give a post a thumbs up? The Col. Mustard one from RoboProp deserved one as did the brilliant reply from LRIP
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Xanthippe wrote: April 27th, 2021, 6:40 pm Also, isn't it about time we had the option to give a post a thumbs up? The Col. Mustard one from RoboProp deserved one as did the brilliant reply from LRIP
👍👍👍
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

joooooe wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:15 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:44 pm Bench will be interesting, if they do go with JGP and Frawley/Byrne I would hazard they will then do a 5/3 for fear that one of those could get injured when they go on. God every time Ross gets hit I’m going to have to look away.

He's the Prince Charles of Leinster rugby. Sexton will probably play for another decade while Ross Byrne waits patiently for his turn, only to have to abdicate to a younger family member when the opportunity eventually arises.
:D Brilliant
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Caliphi
Learner

Post by Caliphi »

Am I imagining it, or are we the only club with an epidemic of hamstring issues?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Caliphi wrote: April 27th, 2021, 9:01 pm Am I imagining it, or are we the only club with an epidemic of hamstring issues?
seems to be an issue alright.