is the Rainbow Cup still going ahead?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Lock9541
Graduate

Re: is the Rainbow Cup still going ahead?

Post by Lock9541 »

So our last game of the season is against Ulster on the 14th of May?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Lock9541 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:16 pm So our last game of the season is against Ulster on the 14th of May?
No.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:35 pm
Lock9541 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:16 pm So our last game of the season is against Ulster on the 14th of May?
No.
What games are we playing after that if we can’t play the South African teams?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Lock9541 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:42 pm
No.
they haven't been announced yet.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Lock9541 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:42 pm
No.
We'll be playing three of the Welsh/Scottish/Italian sides.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Now that we’re in this situation there’s actually a window to come up with something new and better.

Appreciate I’m looking at this from a Leinster POV and I’m conscious of leaving the rest of the PRO14 behind but I’d love if we looked to play the Lions or played the SA clubs in SA for their warmup games, or it could even be the time to play a world club competition with the super rugby sides, just semis and a final for example. The logistics of the rainbow cup were always going to be impossible but small scale stuff like that could actually work.

I know Ireland have a tour pencilled in but I can’t see that happening. Something like I’ve suggested seems more plausible and I think it’s worth trying something different.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I don't see leinster heading to SA given the covid/vaccine situation as much as I like the idea.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 21st, 2021, 1:45 pm Now that we’re in this situation there’s actually a window to come up with something new and better.

Appreciate I’m looking at this from a Leinster POV and I’m conscious of leaving the rest of the PRO14 behind but I’d love if we looked to play the Lions or played the SA clubs in SA for their warmup games, or it could even be the time to play a world club competition with the super rugby sides, just semis and a final for example. The logistics of the rainbow cup were always going to be impossible but small scale stuff like that could actually work.

I know Ireland have a tour pencilled in but I can’t see that happening. Something like I’ve suggested seems more plausible and I think it’s worth trying something different.
Interesting thinking.
Mildly's point about the vaccine is relevant.
Is it time for L'einster to be talking to the government about special treatment given that the extra games helps the general mood of the nation.
Perhaps a standby arrangement.
Ulster players can't be too far off getting their jabs - A go figure perhaps.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I'd guess the games will be played against sides you only played once during the regular season

So that would mean we avoid you and ulster but could play ulster and Connacht

The rainbow cup was an excellent idea n principle, it's a shame that current events have curtailed it
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:08 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 21st, 2021, 1:45 pm Now that we’re in this situation there’s actually a window to come up with something new and better.

Interesting thinking.
Is it time for L'einster to be talking to the government about special treatment given that the extra games helps the general mood of the nation.
Leinster are already talking to the government; they presented the relevant department(s) with a detailed plan to reintroduce fan attendance at matches in the RDS, starting initially with 2000 supporters, about two weeks ago and AFAIK still haven't received a reply!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

JB1973 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:58 pm I'd guess the games will be played against sides you only played once during the regular season

So that would mean we avoid you and ulster but could play ulster and Connacht

The rainbow cup was an excellent idea n principle, it's a shame that current events have curtailed it
That's probably a fair shout. So, my guess would be that the rest of our fixtures in this competition would be Cardiff (a)*, Benetton (h) and Edinburgh (a). That would leave the Scarlets as the only team we won't have played twice this season.

* reason for thinking we'll play Cardiff rather than Scarlets is that we've two home games against the other provinces so will only have one home game remaining.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 3:49 pm
Oldschool wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:08 pm

Interesting thinking.
Leinster are already talking to the government; they presented the relevant department(s) with a detailed plan to reintroduce fan attendance at matches in the RDS, starting initially with 2000 supporters, about two weeks ago and AFAIK still haven't received a reply!
The Civil Service aka the HSE or DOH don't mind keeping people waiting.
The point is that we should have more than one iron in the fire.
I think the Ulster link is worth exploring even if it came to nothing.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool: "... we should have more than one iron in the fire."

100%. I with you!!!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

ronk wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:27 am South African teams will not be travelling to Europe according to reports - more details will apparently follow
Are we playing them on Zoom?
Couldn't we play online for the Rainbow Cup in Mario Kart?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Twist wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:09 am
ronk wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:27 am South African teams will not be travelling to Europe according to reports - more details will apparently follow
Are we playing them on Zoom?
Couldn't we play online for the Rainbow Cup in Mario Kart?
You could be on to something there.
The players from the respective teams play each other online using the 23 selected.
And as an added attraction the fans get to see the players in action (liove) at their consoles.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Bernard Jackman was on the42.ie Rugby Weekly podcast t'other day talking about how French clubs sack off the end of their seasons when they are safe from relegation but out of contention for the Bouclier. He said they send their SH players home early and get their front liners sorted out with any required operations or procedures in order for them to be back for a good pre-season. With nothing to play for this year now I wonder if it's time to take the French approach and play the kids in the Rainbow Cup. Start next season like a train.
Last edited by joooooe on May 4th, 2021, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I'm sure the guys who are in contention for a lions place would not appreciate that. Even when the squad is announced, they still have to play onto the team

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/fixtures-c ... inbow-cup/

So we play Glasgow away and Dragons at home after Ulster. We also got a bye week because we should have been playing a SA team but aren't. You would think that they are making this up as they go along.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The final is on Saturday June 19th between either the top 2 in the NH competition / top sides in each of the NH and SH competitions. If latter, Italy being suggested as a venue. The format is flexible!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

neill_m wrote: May 11th, 2021, 3:51 pm The final is on Saturday June 19th between either the top 2 in the NH competition / top sides in each of the NH and SH competitions. If latter, Italy being suggested as a venue. The format is flexible!
Are you serious?! What a shitshow :lol:

You'd think at this stage they'd finally call the format of the FINAL of the competition like!

Clearly it's difficult to plan during a pandemic, but everything about the communications and planning for this tournament has been a disaster start to finish. Real 'head in the sand' stuff all round.