Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

Post by Hippo »

MarkyDeSad wrote: April 10th, 2021, 8:08 pm One of our best European victories.
Definitely
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 10th, 2021, 8:22 pm
OTT wrote: April 10th, 2021, 8:19 pm Was absolutely shocked Josh didn’t get player of the match especially when it was getting picked by another backrower, thought he was flippin brilliant.
Very surprised too as josh kept us in it at one stage in the 1st half
That peno against Exeter for not releasing (if BOD is correct) mid 2nd half, where Josh just gave the oppo the ball after the refs call was filthy brilliance.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

What a win! Delighted for the team and so proud of my province. These matches are not good for my nerves!
I was worried beforehand, given our lack of games as a settled side, particularly the 3/4s and this was certainly evident in defence. In particular, we consistently presented dog legs and left props isolated in the wide channels which O’Flaherty ruthlessly exploited throughout. However, the mental strength and focus of the side to stick with it away from home against the reigning champs was remarkable. This was a good performance but a brilliant win. The backrow was phenomenal; Simmonds is talked up in England but Conan was streets ahead of home and both Josh and Rhys were fantastic. Luke threw a few loose passes but also controlled the game at critical points. Ross Byrne’s best performance for Leinster. I was thrilled for Lowe who was really good and showed mental strength to bounce back from being dropped by Ireland. We can and will play a lot better, we’ll need to against the French, but today is one to enjoy and celebrate as a victory for a team with mental fortitude, guts and an amazing culture. So happy!
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Agree with the poster who said they’d start RB over sexton.

I think Fardy is another one who shouldn’t be starting if Ryan is fit. He’s just too old at this point. Baird is great impact from the bench but if you put Fardy there we have no impact coming on.

Desperately need some players back in the next few weeks. Ryan and Ringrose most of all. Doris would mean we could have serious impact in back row in the bench

One of the all time great victories though for the boys!
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

That was an absolute belter of a game of rugby. Absolutely chuffed with that. It's great reading through the thread afterwards, knowing what I now know. I was saying stuff similar to ~page 12 of the thread at the time too. Oh me of little faith. Well done lads.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Semi final is three weeks from today.

I'd be very hopeful we'll get Ryan/Ringer back.

I also think having three weeks to prep for a team will massively benefit us. I honestly would back or brains trust out coach pretty much anyone.

Bordeaux at home would be best draw. Would take La Rochelle or Clermont at home too.

Worst would be Toulouse away, followed by Racing away imo.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Great to see Molony get on the pitch for such a big game. He's usually watching from the stands.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

blockhead wrote: April 10th, 2021, 8:52 pm Great to see Molony get on the pitch for such a big game. He's usually watching from the stands.
Agree completely. He is among a long list of really great squad players who would be starters anywhere else. It's just reward for staying in a winning environment.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I bet my left testicle that there won't be any pundits suggesting that the standard of the prem is just not good enough to prepare their teams for Europe.

Oh and Francis should be docked a weeks pay for being such a poor judge of a game.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

bluemagic wrote: April 10th, 2021, 8:41 pm Agree with the poster who said they’d start RB over sexton.

I think Fardy is another one who shouldn’t be starting if Ryan is fit. He’s just too old at this point. Baird is great impact from the bench but if you put Fardy there we have no impact coming on.

Desperately need some players back in the next few weeks. Ryan and Ringrose most of all. Doris would mean we could have serious impact in back row in the bench

I actually thought Fardy put in a good first half performance. Was a real nuisance around the ruck, which only he can be, which helped slow their ball down
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

blockhead wrote: April 10th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Oh and Francis should be docked a weeks pay for being such a poor judge of a game.
Franno gets paid? :shock:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

In words of Jed Bartlett in the West Wing, "Okay, What's next?
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Laighin Break wrote: April 10th, 2021, 9:08 pm
bluemagic wrote: April 10th, 2021, 8:41 pm Agree with the poster who said they’d start RB over sexton.

I actually thought Fardy put in a good first half performance. Was a real nuisance around the ruck, which only he can be, which helped slow their ball down
I’ll have to watch it back but I thought he lacked impact on some clearouts and didn’t offer much carrying. Baird streets ahead. A Baird Ryan second row is much more physical
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

I agree with starting Ryan with Baird on the bench but that's a bit harsh on Fardy, no? Thought he was brilliant against Munster in the final and he wasn't exactly terrible today.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Our best Euro win in 3 years. It's great now but jaysus i was nervous all week. What a coaching team! What a bunch of players!
Dont Panic!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Keith wrote: April 10th, 2021, 9:20 pm

I agree with starting Ryan with Baird on the bench but that's a bit harsh on Fardy, no? Thought he was brilliant against Munster in the final and he wasn't exactly terrible today.
For Leinster to come back from where they were after 8 mins I don’t think any player was poor. The speed of the game was such that neither side could carry anyone. I would also say that many of us need to watch the game again cause I for one was so hyped up I need to watch it to really see what happened in the game!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

BT put up a very interesting stat (well for me because I don’t remember seeing it in any of their games before) just after we had got it back to 7-14 (I think) that on Leinster’s possession we had cleared our rucks in under 2seconds 61% of the time, like that’s phenomenally quick. Comfortable in chaos to quote Mr Lancaster. Exeter just couldn’t live with that pace.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Fairness to Benetton I am guessing Montpellier haven’t their full strength out but they seem to be giving them a good go
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

So the week off was good, pro14 is tops, a hammering a team that can't fire a shot is the best prep for playing the best in Europe?
I'm delighted we have the rainbow cup now!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

don't understand how, after a performance like that, peoples immediate thoughts are who can/should be dropped in three weeks time.