Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:24 pm The mindless optimism is great and all, but it is mindless!

Someone mentioned above that we haven't had a serious game of rugby since the Saracens match and it's hard to argue with that. The Pro14 this year has been rubbish, complete garbage, utterly worthless. I would normally defend the Pro14, but it's simply not possible to defend the steaming turd of a competition it was this year. Sure, a lot of our players played in the six nations, but the benefits of playing for an average team with completely different systems are questionable.

Now, the premiership is no great shakes either, but it has one advantage this season for Exeter that the Pro14 doesn't for us. Another good team. They also have the biggest advantage that we haven't - they had a competitive match last week. If things had gone to plan I'd be a lot less worried about Saturday, nice loosener against Munster - check - step up against Toulon - check - on to the real business against Exeter. But Munster didn't really loosen us all that much and we didn't play Toulon. So we go into this game against the current European Champions untried and undercooked. We can win, theres no doubt about it, but to do so would be up there with Quins in '09 or ASMCA in '12
Bookies have us 2 point favourites.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Discipline will be really important. If we give away the same silly penalties we did against Munster then that could be two/three maul tries instead of the six points that Munster managed. It's a nightmare to defend their pick and go game at the best of times but we're also lacking turnover threats because of injuries so I hope the guys that do play are told to be bolder in that regard.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how we cope with their back three popping up around the 13 channel. Our centres are two of the best in Europe at getting great linespeed and reading where the danger is, and Luke is one of the best covering 9's around as well so if they do get through us I'd expect him to pop up when needed.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I’m worried that we’re undercooked. The Pro1X final felt like a training run, for which we rested key players, and I think that a physical game against Toulon would have really helped to sharpen our game.

Exeter are a really good side, although Baxter has a big mouth which won’t leave us short of motivation, who play a structured, relentless style but also have quality footballers in Slade and Hogg.

I think we’ll have to score three tries to win and will have to pose a threat in the 3/4s. To that end, Ringer is an enormous loss. I think we need to pick Lowe and Larmour to offer real attacking prowess and our kick chase must be aggressive and coordinated to close down Hogg and Nowell.

Needless to say, the set piece must function in attack (which it will) and I’d like to see us going after their scrum. The maul defense needs to be early and precise, we may have to contest less in the air, particularly in our 22.

I think this is one of the biggest games in Conan’s career and really want him to show his class whilst VdF and Rhys will bring balance in terms of work rate and grunt.

Luke and Johnny meet to kick well but more importantly, keep the opposition D guessing by attacking space with and putting players into gaps.

I’m expecting some precision starter plays from the coaching manual, to cut them open.

Overall, really hard to call, I think we’ll up our game but fear that the lack of tough matches together as a unit, coupled with some injuries to key players, might be too much of a drag.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Blue Man wrote: April 8th, 2021, 7:28 pm Exeter are a really good side, although Baxter has a big mouth which won’t leave us short of motivation, who play a structured, relentless style but also have quality footballers in Slade and Hogg.
baxter never came across to me as a gobby type Blue man? Where are ye getting that from?

yes, exeter are a very decent side and Baxter is a decent coach....this is why we love the heineken cup. Hill and Ewell looked quality to me last week against Lyon...on top of hogg & slade. woodburn and o'flaherty aren't too shabby either given some space.

I think we will miss ringers on saturday...here's hoping that whoever is in his place (o'loughlin maybe?) can step up.

Should be an epic game....a shame no fans can witness it in the stadium.

Toulouse v clermont on the sunday looks like it might be a belter too....
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Where's all this mindless optimism I've been hearing about? :lol:

Does anyone think we'll win?
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

LeinsterLeader wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:58 pm Where's all this mindless optimism I've been hearing about? :lol:

Yes :wink:
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:07 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:58 pm Where's all this mindless optimism I've been hearing about? :lol:

Yes :wink:
Fair play TheLeinsterLad. I shall give you a shout out on Saturday if you're right :happy clapper:

In fairness I had a quick look on the Exeter Forum and they're probably just as nervous as us.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I’m sure we’d both rather be playing anyone else at this stage. But this feeling is part of what makes HC rugby so exciting. Bring it on.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Me.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

the spoofer wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Me.
Me too, there are a lot of similarities to the teams and how they play. Whoever can manage their defensive alignment during a continual onslaught of multiple phases in their own 22 will be the one who comes out on top.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Peg Leg wrote: April 8th, 2021, 10:02 pm

Me.
Me too, there are a lot of similarities to the teams and how they play. Whoever can manage their defensive alignment during a continual onslaught of multiple phases in their own 22 will be the one who comes out on top.
Me three. Our int'ls have gotten the England/Sarries monkey off their backs. Furlong is back. It's time again for us to knock over a big English team in a k.o. match in Europe. Bring - it - on!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

riocard911 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 10:25 pm
Peg Leg wrote: April 8th, 2021, 10:02 pm

Me.
Me three. Our int'ls have gotten the England/Sarries monkey off their backs. Furlong is back. It's time again for us to knock over a big English team in a k.o. match in Europe. Bring - it - on!!!
Leinster haven't gotten that monkey off their back yet unfortunately.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Disagree. It was the same monkey for Ireland and England and we made them look good by being beaten before the match where other, often lesser, teams were not.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 91083.html

Leinster are expected to opt for experience over youth in the one major selection dilemma ahead of Saturday’s mouth-watering Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final clash against Exeter Chiefs.

Leo Cullen is set to stick with almost the same XV he named to face Toulon in last weekend’s postponed game, with Scott Fardy pushing to get the nod ahead of Ryan Baird.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I see JGP is still bracketed with HOS as well. Having him available would be a big boost to the bench, which looks a little big lighter than it normally does in big games.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:25 am https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 91083.html

Leinster are expected to opt for experience over youth in the one major selection dilemma ahead of Saturday’s mouth-watering Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final clash against Exeter Chiefs.

Leo Cullen is set to stick with almost the same XV he named to face Toulon in last weekend’s postponed game, with Scott Fardy pushing to get the nod ahead of Ryan Baird.
I think this makes sense, more from the perspective of having a strong bench to impact coming on. At least we'll have Baird and Porter providing some impact off the bench (not sure about the impact from Byrne, Tracey or Moloney...... would rather it was Dooley, Sheehan and Josh Murphy). JGP, RB and JL (whichever one it is!) would be good impact from the backs
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

bluemagic wrote: April 9th, 2021, 9:48 am
mildlyinterested wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:25 am https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 91083.html

I think this makes sense, more from the perspective of having a strong bench to impact coming on. At least we'll have Baird and Porter providing some impact off the bench (not sure about the impact from Byrne, Tracey or Moloney...... would rather it was Dooley, Sheehan and Josh Murphy). JGP, RB and JL (whichever one it is!) would be good impact from the backs
Man Tracey gets a doing on here, I don't get it. He's way ahead of Sheehan for me.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Peg Leg wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:01 am

Man Tracey gets a doing on here, I don't get it. He's way ahead of Sheehan for me.
I’m not giving Tracy a doing but think Sheehan offers more impact coming off the bench. That said if Kelleher went down early he might be a but if an unknown in such a big game over 80 mins.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jonny tight lips wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:05 am
Peg Leg wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:01 am

I’m not giving Tracy a doing but think Sheehan offers more impact coming off the bench. That said if Kelleher went down early he might be a but if an unknown in such a big game over 80 mins.
yeah if it was between Tracy and Sheehan to start i'd start tracy but if we need impact from the bench i'd go with Sheehan.

Still want a good 65 minutes from Kelleher either way.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Exeter are not Saracens but for some reason there seems to be some sort of transferrence going on that the facts don't back up.
Exeter are an efficient team but don't have the same ceiling as Leinster.
The bookies are giving us a very tight win "AWAY" from home which effectively means away advantage while still a factor isn't (as we all know) a huge one.
Exeter have lost five games in their own league this season which suggests that they must have vulnerabilities that can be exploited.
In summary.
Plus another one.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.