Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Re: Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

Post by Theleinsterlad »

LeinsterLeader wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:07 am
Theleinsterlad wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:03 am Think we should start doing a thread on the different emotional stages of the average Leinster fan

1st: Utter belief -we are great we are going to win
2nd: the shadows - oooh the opposition are world beaters I don’t know about this
3rd: darkness descends - omg Leinster are sh!t we play in a sh!t league and we are sh!t
4th: hell has come - our whole fing team is down injured and the players coming up haven’t a clue we’re done for
5th: match day - wow actually we ain’t that bad a team after all
Put me down for one of each :D
:lol:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Leinster Lout wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:02 am

I would be wary of starting Lowe - they also seem to like playing their backs well behind the gainline with a view to playing heads up, waiting for gaps to appear by players like Lowe shooting up.
I totally agree with this.

They use a lot of swing passes out the back to a centre/winger coming from deep. Lowe doesn't tend to do well in those defensive read situations.

DK's aerial threat would be a benefit also.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:12 am

I would be wary of starting Lowe - they also seem to like playing their backs well behind the gainline with a view to playing heads up, waiting for gaps to appear by players like Lowe shooting up.

They use a lot of swing passes out the back to a centre/winger coming from deep. Lowe doesn't tend to do well in those defensive read situations.

The more I think about the game and subject to his shoulder being good I’d love to see the following back line - McGrath sexton larmour Frawley henshaw DK and Keenan. I also think that even if all our backrow was fit our best 3 for this particular game would be JVF Rhys and conan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:16 am

The more I think about the game and subject to his shoulder being good I’d love to see the following back line - McGrath sexton larmour Frawley henshaw DK and Keenan. I also think that even if all our backrow was fit our best 3 for this particular game would be JVF Rhys and conan
Personally I think Rhys, Connors, Doris is our most powerful/physical backrow, which will be needed at the weekend.

We'll need a massive physical performance from Rhys again. Ewers is a very passable equivalent of him, and Vermuelen is a typical Saffer blindside playing openside too.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:23 am

Personally I think Rhys, Connors, Doris is our most powerful/physical backrow, which will be needed at the weekend.

We'll need a massive physical performance from Rhys again. Ewers is a very passable equivalent of him, and Vermuelen is a typical Saffer blindside playing openside too.
While I might concede on Connors I do think conan is our more physical performer v Doris, though Doris is a better poacher
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:51 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:48 am T'would seem aul Neil's not giving us much of a chance on Saturday. Can't read the article but I think the headline says it all...... :shock:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 86844.html`

"The pitiful standard of the PRO14 means Leinster need a miracle against Chiefs -
Neil Francis"
Leinster have not played a decent side since they lost to Saracens last September. They were caught cold that day and the limits of the PRO14 left them woefully ill-prepared to counter what Saracens threw at them. The same is going to happen on Saturday – and it will take somewhere between a fishes and the loaves up to a Lazarus-sized miracle to overcome these Exeter Chiefs.
If we were caught cold in September it was early season after the break. We played strong Irish opposition, not other Celtic nations. But we weren’t up to speed.

Now we have a different problem. We’re battle hardened but depleted.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:23 am

That depends on whether we want to select for their game plan or ours. I'd go with Josh, Rhys and Conan. Rhys to do the physical stuff, Conan to carry and Josh to make 20+ tackles. Lowe is one of the best attacking wingers in Europe who was used badly in the 6 Nations, it would be a shame to see that talent unused. If we have a distributing 12 I'm not sure they could live with our back 3 coming forward. That being said, I think Leo will likely pick ROL.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Why not just play Lowe and DK - we've done it before
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 8th, 2021, 12:04 pm Why not just play Lowe and DK - we've done it before
Also an option! Dave has clearly been on fire this season but it's so difficult to judge given that he's been playing Pro 14 rugby and not involved in the international set up. You look at some of the tries he scored in the Pro 14 where he waltzes past 3 or 4 defenders, there's no way he's doing that against Exeter. I'd be happy with either, more interested in who Leo picks at 13.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Flash Gordon wrote: April 8th, 2021, 12:16 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 8th, 2021, 12:04 pm Why not just play Lowe and DK - we've done it before
Also an option! Dave has clearly been on fire this season but it's so difficult to judge given that he's been playing Pro 14 rugby and not involved in the international set up. You look at some of the tries he scored in the Pro 14 where he waltzes past 3 or 4 defenders, there's no way he's doing that against Exeter. I'd be happy with either, more interested in who Leo picks at 13.
he doesn't have many options.. ROL is starting at 13
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

When are yis gonna get it into your heads ........ it doesn't matter who we play....... we need a MIRACLE!!!!!! :shock:

alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Just say No to ALL drugs
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

alanair wrote: April 8th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Just say No to ALL drugs
:shock:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The mindless optimism is great and all, but it is mindless!

Someone mentioned above that we haven't had a serious game of rugby since the Saracens match and it's hard to argue with that. The Pro14 this year has been rubbish, complete garbage, utterly worthless. I would normally defend the Pro14, but it's simply not possible to defend the steaming turd of a competition it was this year. Sure, a lot of our players played in the six nations, but the benefits of playing for an average team with completely different systems are questionable.

Now, the premiership is no great shakes either, but it has one advantage this season for Exeter that the Pro14 doesn't for us. Another good team. They also have the biggest advantage that we haven't - they had a competitive match last week. If things had gone to plan I'd be a lot less worried about Saturday, nice loosener against Munster - check - step up against Toulon - check - on to the real business against Exeter. But Munster didn't really loosen us all that much and we didn't play Toulon. So we go into this game against the current European Champions untried and undercooked. We can win, theres no doubt about it, but to do so would be up there with Quins in '09 or ASMCA in '12
I have Bumbleflex
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Perhaps we are overhyping Exeter somewhat from what I've seen of them this year. Don't think they are near the levels of last year and have lost some home games they normally wouldn't to Northampton and Bristol and two weeks ago away to Gloucester. Also wasn't really impressed last week against a very poor Lyon so really they are probably as undercooked as us. Yes we are missing some major players but still believe we have enough to win this one
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:24 pm The mindless optimism is great and all, but it is mindless!

Someone mentioned above that we haven't had a serious game of rugby since the Saracens match and it's hard to argue with that. The Pro14 this year has been rubbish, complete garbage, utterly worthless. I would normally defend the Pro14, but it's simply not possible to defend the steaming turd of a competition it was this year. Sure, a lot of our players played in the six nations, but the benefits of playing for an average team with completely different systems are questionable.

Now, the premiership is no great shakes either, but it has one advantage this season for Exeter that the Pro14 doesn't for us. Another good team. They also have the biggest advantage that we haven't - they had a competitive match last week. If things had gone to plan I'd be a lot less worried about Saturday, nice loosener against Munster - check - step up against Toulon - check - on to the real business against Exeter. But Munster didn't really loosen us all that much and we didn't play Toulon. So we go into this game against the current European Champions untried and undercooked. We can win, theres no doubt about it, but to do so would be up there with Quins in '09 or ASMCA in '12
Sorry at the same time I cringe at the mindless negativity there is around Leinster being able to get up for and win a game. I think too many put too much focus on the Saracens game last season - we got done in that game by a great 1st half scrummage performance that gave them a lead we couldn’t come back from (even though we did a good effort in the 2nd). The year before we beat teams like Toulouse in the knock out and yes lost to sarries but what could have been if ringrose had made that pass - this is all in the past.

Saturdays game in my eyes is the top two teams left in the comp this season and unfortunately one will lose. Exeter are really good and what they do but so are we, it’s all to play for and as I’ve said before game management and more importantly penalty count will decide this game

And PS we always have had players injured going into these tussles - it’s rugby
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:45 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:24 pm The mindless optimism is great and all, but it is mindless!

Sorry at the same time I cringe at the mindless negativity there is around Leinster being able to get up for and win a game. I think too many put too much focus on the Saracens game last season - we got done in that game by a great 1st half scrummage performance that gave them a lead we couldn’t come back from (even though we did a good effort in the 2nd). The year before we beat teams like Toulouse in the knock out and yes lost to sarries but what could have been if ringrose had made that pass - this is all in the past.

Saturdays game in my eyes is the top two teams left in the comp this season and unfortunately one will lose. Exeter are really good and what they do but so are we, it’s all to play for and as I’ve said before game management and more importantly penalty count will decide this game

How many big european games has James Ryan been missing for?
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:48 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:45 pm

How many big european games has James Ryan been missing for?
I’m putting my trust in his replacement to play the game of his life (ie Baird) - if he doesn’t well that’s the way it goes
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Don't forget that a lot of the Leinster players recently played Wales, followed by France, then Italy, Scotland and England, that was followed by a Final v Munster, then a week off.
Thats hardly bad prep.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: April 8th, 2021, 2:06 pm Don't forget that a lot of the Leinster players recently played Wales, followed by France, then Italy, Scotland and England, that was followed by a Final v Munster, then a week off.
Thats hardly bad prep.
I agree.

RO'G last night on OTB with Joe Molloy said this game would see the two best teams in the competition going head to head. He also said it was too close for him to call and that the result would come down to whichever team's players made the better decisions on the day. A fair assessment, IMO.