Leinster Squad 20-21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Re: Leinster Squad 20-21

Post by Theleinsterlad »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:07 pm Well done Scott! Well deserved :clap:

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/penny-name ... -gen-star/
Fully deserved just a pity he injured himself before the final and couldn’t run out with the team
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:07 pm Well done Scott! Well deserved :clap:

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/penny-name ... -gen-star/
Outstanding, a great advertisement for a young player staying with Leinster as opposed to “moving for game time”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

From Murray K:
"Leinster have a remarkable depth chart of back rows at the moment and Max Deegan was seen as someone who could potentially shift provinces and make an impact, but he is understood to be very keen to stay where he is. So Munster looked abroad, with van Graan's South African contacts the first port of call."
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:14 pm From Murray K:
"Leinster have a remarkable depth chart of back rows at the moment and Max Deegan was seen as someone who could potentially shift provinces and make an impact, but he is understood to be very keen to stay where he is. So Munster looked abroad, with van Graan's South African contacts the first port of call."
where'd he say that? I missed it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So they couldn’t sign a rangy number 8 on a long term deal at, presumably, a reasonable price so they tried to sign the world’s best six for one season at 600k, and ended up with a second row for one season.

Makes sense.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Injury list:

LH Prop(1)
Michael Milne - ???

TH Prop(2)
Vakh Abdaladze - back
Tom Clarkson - ???

Hooker(0)

Lock(3)
James Ryan - concussion
Charlie Ryan - ???
Brian Deeny - knee

Backrow(9)
Dan Leavy - knee
Josh Murphy - broken nose
Will Connors - knee
Max Deegan - knee
Caelan Doris - concussion
Scott Penny - hand
Martin Moloney - ???
Alex Soroka - shoulder
Sean O'Brien - ???

Scrumhalf(2)
Jamie Gibson Park - ???
Rowan Osborne - hand

Outhalf(2)
Ciaran Frawley - shoulder
David Hawkshaw - ???

Outside Backs(7)
Garry Ringrose - ankle
Conor O'Brien - knee
Jimmy O'Brien - hamstring
Tommy O'Brien - ankle
Adam Byrne - quad
Michael Silvester - ???
Aaron O'Sullivan - ???
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Hard to interpret this, but Toner possibly leaving to be confirmed soon?

https://youtu.be/KQTi53SqGnA?t=1184
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Is it possible that we will have no NIQ players next year. Would be a great achievement
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:53 pm Hard to interpret this, but Toner possibly leaving to be confirmed soon?

Wouldn’t be surprised if both Toner and Zebo pitched up at London Irish next season..
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 31st, 2021, 2:00 pm So they couldn’t sign a rangy number 8 on a long term deal at, presumably, a reasonable price so they tried to sign the world’s best six for one season at 600k, and ended up with a second row for one season.

Makes sense.
As I said before: "like a mule with a spinning wheel."
Show Spoiler:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Injury list:

LH Prop(1)
Michael Milne - ???

TH Prop(1)
Tom Clarkson - ???

Hooker(0)

Lock(4)
James Ryan - concussion
Jack Dunne - ankle
Charlie Ryan - ???
Brian Deeny - knee

Backrow(8)
Dan Leavy - knee
Will Connors - knee
Max Deegan - knee
Caelan Doris - concussion
Scott Penny - hand
Martin Moloney - ???
Alex Soroka - shoulder
Sean O'Brien - ???

Scrumhalf(2)
Jamie Gibson Park - hamstring
Rowan Osborne - hand

Outhalf(2)
Ciaran Frawley - shoulder
David Hawkshaw - ankle

Outside Backs(7)
Garry Ringrose - ankle
Conor O'Brien - knee
Jimmy O'Brien - hamstring
Tommy O'Brien - ankle
Adam Byrne - quad
Michael Silvester - ???
Aaron O'Sullivan - ???
Last edited by mildlyinterested on April 5th, 2021, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

26 players. 26. And that’s counting a guy who’s been injured for 18 months and will comeback soon as available.

It’s stunning.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

lummix wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:23 am Is it possible that we will have no NIQ players next year. Would be a great achievement
2 IQ projects though.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ronk wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:27 pm
lummix wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:23 am Is it possible that we will have no NIQ players next year. Would be a great achievement
2 IQ projects though.
Although overall it’ll be all Leinster developed players (academy or club) aside from Henshaw, PPJ and Lowe; as things look anyway. Probably a greater achievement.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Rotten timing for Jack Dunne with 6-7 games of Rainbow Cup left to build up steam for next year. But at least we can lean on older departing players and if you’re a squad player this is a relatively good time to ship a 16 week injury.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Unless they're planning to bring in a lock I just can't see how they can let Toner go.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:53 pm Hard to interpret this, but Toner possibly leaving to be confirmed soon?

I think it's a terrible call if we let Toner leave. I just don't believe we can't afford to keep him. The man is likely to have a couple of years left in the tank, given his role, position and injury free career. He's almost certainly going to be starting in our knock out matches until the end of the year, he's a superb team player to have in the squad, and he's an amazing lineout guru for others to learn from. I really think it would be a big mistake to let him go when he wants to stay.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

CiaranIrl wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:58 pm

I think it's a terrible call if we let Toner leave. I just don't believe we can't afford to keep him. The man is likely to have a couple of years left in the tank, given his role, position and injury free career. He's almost certainly going to be starting in our knock out matches until the end of the year, he's a superb team player to have in the squad, and he's an amazing lineout guru for others to learn from. I really think it would be a big mistake to let him go when he wants to stay.
Toner could have years left. Maybe another 50+ games. I think everyone wants him to stay. But if you look at the lads who left last year and the ones who are set to leave this year then you get a picture of how roughly we are cutting back.

The IRFU won’t let us cut players who will be on the international squad next season, only Munster can do that. A lot of money has been lost, is it 5 fullish Aviva’s we’ve missed so far. What else can we cut?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Looking at todays photos so far, a couple of interesting things:

Ciaran Frawleys back training

James Ryan actually taking part in training (as opposed to the light work he seems to have been doing for the last couple of weeks)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: April 5th, 2021, 3:23 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:58 pm

Toner could have years left. Maybe another 50+ games. I think everyone wants him to stay. But if you look at the lads who left last year and the ones who are set to leave this year then you get a picture of how roughly we are cutting back.

The IRFU won’t let us cut players who will be on the international squad next season, only Munster can do that. A lot of money has been lost, is it 5 fullish Aviva’s we’ve missed so far. What else can we cut?
Not asking for Toner to be retained because he's a ledge, or because he's still a very good player, he is both of those. Its because we have no bleedin locks left.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!