Pro 14 Final vs Munster, March 27th. 5pm. @ The RDS.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Re: Pro 14 Final vs Munster, March 27th. 5pm. @ The RDS.

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Just as this is the post on the pro14 final, did anyone note in the papers yesterday that the SA teams will now be able to compete in the euro cups. That should really boost the need to perform in the pro competition going forward otherwise Wales and Scotland may not have any representation?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

joooooe wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:23 am
hugonaut wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:04 am @mildlyinterested

Can you make a gif of the Keith Earls intercept off Hugo Keenan's break? I thought it was really weird at the time but I've since seen a very quick replay of it and have figured out what happens: he races out of the line and gets to the Leinster line [Locko, to be precise] quite a bit ahead of the ball, so he just shoves Locko out of the way and then waits there for the pass!

Should have been a penalty Leinster and probably a card for Earls for a professional foul. Pretty strange that not one of the four match officials saw what happened.
I disagree. Much as it pains me to say it, that was genius from Earls. If one of our lads did it we'd be swooning and quoting sections of mf.com about how they laughably think it's a penalty.
You can disagree all you want, I'm right!

Whatever about Dave's assertion that he's competing for the ball, he can't play Locko before the ball is passed, which is what he does. He gets away with it, so it is what it is ... i.e. an absolute disgrace and a miscarriage of justice that should be taken to the highest court in the land, Liveline.
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Super performance, take a bow Leo & all the coaching team. Perfect game plan, brilliantly executed. Suffocated them from the off. The Lunsters in the meeja like GNT can take that performance and insert it somewhere unholy. Even better watching it the second time, only quibble is that we should have beaten them by 30 points to be honest not 10 so lots of room for improvement. Hopefully no major concerns ahead of this weekend and that one of RB or J10 are fit to start.

No Pashun on display at the weekend because they’re not really Munster anymore, POM not even bothering his arse to scowl was a real sign. His acceptance of the hiding – and it was a hiding - in his post match interview was very surprising and one of the highlights of the day. He has resigned himself mentally to losing to Leinster at the business end of competitions, its all he knows. Munster have too many outsiders and they don’t know who they are anymore. They were beaten before the kick-off despite the hype train. The meeja won’t be honest and call it as it is but Munster choked on the big stage pure and simple and not for the first time. They have some really good players -Coombes is a cracker, Beirne & CJ have been excellent for the last month - but they are very poorly coached and looked clueless in the face of the onslaught at the weekend. The lack of a plan B is inexcusable after 3 years or whatever it is of a coaching ticket. Cant understand the criticism of Ross Byrne earlier on this thread, thought he was excellent and came back on to play through the pain barrier. Bravery and commitment, exactly what you want in a player.

I sincerely hope they retain Van Grann, he is Leinster’s biggest asset in Munster, short term loans notwithstanding. The biggest issue for Leinster over the summer is protecting the players who have been developed here and keeping them here. Lucifora needs to told he'll be gelded if he gets any smart ideas about shipping certain promising young backrows off to Shelbyville.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:57 am Just as this is the post on the pro14 final, did anyone note in the papers yesterday that the SA teams will now be able to compete in the euro cups. That should really boost the need to perform in the pro competition going forward otherwise Wales and Scotland may not have any representation?
I didn't see that. That's a huge development, you'd think it'd get more fanfare.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Twist wrote: March 29th, 2021, 11:01 am
Theleinsterlad wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:57 am Just as this is the post on the pro14 final, did anyone note in the papers yesterday that the SA teams will now be able to compete in the euro cups. That should really boost the need to perform in the pro competition going forward otherwise Wales and Scotland may not have any representation?
I didn't see that. That's a huge development, you'd think it'd get more fanfare.
Think the irish defeat to Luxembourg knocked it down the pages!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I can't have it that Ross Byrne was excellent, he was good but if he was sharper and more decisive the game wouldn't have been close going into half time. Same goes for ROL, who was good but his passing let him down.

Leinster's backline play is my biggest worry going forward, sometimes we struggle to execute the basics and our passing let's us down. Hopefully that's the an issue of lack of training time together and combinations needing time to bed in. But it's been an issue for awhile now IMO.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:34 am
mildlyinterested wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:32 am Ruddock 23 carries, Conan 20 carries... you love to see it.
I thought Conan was great on Saturday ....... but Rudock was a different level. I don't think they have a word for his performance :D
Some suggestions:

1. He did a Ruddock
2. He(Haley) was well and truly Ruddocked.
3. They (Munster) received a good Ruddocking.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

outcast eddie wrote: March 29th, 2021, 11:06 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:34 am
mildlyinterested wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:32 am Ruddock 23 carries, Conan 20 carries... you love to see it.
I thought Conan was great on Saturday ....... but Rudock was a different level. I don't think they have a word for his performance :D
Some suggestions:

1. He did a Ruddock
2. He(Haley) was well and truly Ruddocked.
3. They (Munster) received a good Ruddocking.
Chapeau :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

well played leinster, I was edging towards munster for this with all the emotional drivers they had going into the game

But Leinster were simply too good and your forwards too dominant for Munster, for me the back row were the key and all 3 outplayed their opposite numbers , throw into the mix a very savvy 9 and in henshaw the form centre in Europe right now and you won with something in hand

Ruddock and Mcgrath have been the stand out players in the lge this season and deserved to start on the weekend

Hate to be ultra critical but your 13 bombed two trys and bryne also ignored one over lap, that game should really have been over by half time and you may not be able to so lax in the big games in Europe

What is noticeable is how well Conan and McGrath both spoke afterwards stressing how it was a squad effort and there is a real sense of togetherness at your organisation
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Interestingly in light of all the giving out on the Munster fans forum about the myriad of Leinster high tackles, that Adamson, Neville et all supposedly missed or ignored, that I have seen no mention, either in the social media or the press, of the high tackling by Munster, which accompanied the disallowed first half try by Scott Fardy. The Leinster second row went to ground with one or other of CJ and Coombes, maybe even both of them hanging out of his neck, trying desperately to hold him up. Is there a clause in the laws of rugby, which dictates that it's only a high tackle, when the players involved are upright, and that when they're close to ground level, it's somehow no longer "high" and therefore legal? Asking for a friend.....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

riocard911 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 11:50 am Interestingly in light of all the giving out on the Munster fans forum about the myriad of Leinster high tackles, that Adamson, Neville et all supposedly missed or ignored, that I have seen no mention, either in the social media or the press, of the high tackling by Munster, which accompanied the disallowed first half try by Scott Fardy. The Leinster second row went to ground with one or other of CJ and Coombes, maybe even both of them hanging out of his neck, trying desperately to hold him up. Is there a clause in the laws of rugby, which dictates that it's only a high tackle, when the players involved are upright, and that when they're close to ground level, it's somehow no longer "high" and therefore legal? Asking for a friend.....
There was a bad one on Josh by Cronin just in front of the Munster posts early in the second half and then a phase or two later there was another one and Conan told the ref as it was happening but he didn't penalise it. We got away with a few as well though.

After watching it again Josh was even better than I thought. Aside from the pass to Earls and the penalty for obstruction (he might actually have been the better option to pass to anyway) he was outstanding. I'd say his last two performances have been helped by not playing in every 6N game but it'll be a big ask for him to back this up every week with no other 7.

I had thought Conan was a little quiet in the first half and then grew into the game but I was wrong, he had a brilliant first half as well.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

JVDF had some huge carries in 1st half, running onto ball with pace and winning the collisions against Beirne & Stander.

His ferocity in the past two games have been great to see, his reply to Connors form has been excellent.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

The odds are good but the goods are odd.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I thought Leinster were notably quiet and understated in the media last week. Brilliantly so. It allowed the media build the hype around Munster without challenge.

Our camp knew that we are losing stalwarts too, more in fact that Munster, and no doubt we used the fact that Munster's perspective on the final was getting wall-to-wall coverage to develop our own internal grudge around that commentary.

Then, with the dye cast, Leo let the veil slip a little on Thursday, deliberately in my view, when referencing the two 'good Blackrock lads'. It applied a bit of individual pressure for their respective homecomings.

The other driver was the need for momentum coming into the European Cup week. Getting the 5th Star has stalled in the last 2 seasons. There must be a sense of time slipping away as regards Europe.

Leocaster know that we have gaps in our armoury born out of injury and lack of squad time.

There have to be concerns in a few areas:

- Backline cohesion, especially in attack (injury related)

- Backline walking wounded (Johnny & Ross + centres) - if Munster had managed to go ahead early in the second half I would have been especially worried about our ability to play catch-up, because our backline appeared blunt and Johnny & Ross are both slow out-halves which makes running rugby harder again if you are putting most of your attack through one man. Even though he delivered to the Nth degree, we put too much through Robbie and I felt (wrongly as it turned out) that he might run out of steam (especially after the English match) or De Allende and Farrell might wake up and shut him down. With a view to greater attacking flair, I would like to see us play Harry-Frawley-Robbie in big games next season, we might even need to go there this week. I think this combo has real potential for Ireland.

- Ross was quite pedantic on Saturday, but maybe allowances should be made for the fact that he hadn't really played since the Ulster match 3 weeks prior.

- Larmour needs rebooting. Was playing for himself.

- ROL was out of character but is very unlikely to repeat that

- Healy (an outside bet for Lions due to his scrummaging proficiency) is playing with heavy minutes and has two big weeks to come. I though Archer gave Byrne trouble and I would be worried with him playing big French packs in particular. I think we should go with Dooley to start and Healy to bench this week and then reverse those roles if we get to the Quarters.

- Will Ja Ryan be back and will he be OK? 2 concussions in 4 weeks is concerning. We need him if we are to win a 5th Star

- While I am very excited by Baird, and believe he will achieve his potential, I am not ready to hail him until I see him grinding out 80 minute performances
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

backrower8 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 1:37 pm
- Will Ja Ryan be back
Him sit on him throne
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

RoboProp wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:29 am
blockhead wrote: March 28th, 2021, 11:55 pm Why does every review of the final have to be a post-mortem of Munster?
How about a celebration of the wonder that is Leinster?
Exactly this, they were beaten off the pitch and it's still about them. The narrative always seems to be about them.

You had Leinster players with massive points to prove and they more than proved them; take a well deserved bow Ruddock, Conan, Dave Kearney and Luke.

What struck me was that you had a guys who have been in the Irish camp for more time since we've returned to rugby than they've been with Leinster slot seamlessly back in. I heard Ferg say during the week that sometimes it takes a week or two to re-familiarise with the plays in the provincial systems, it was like these players were never away.

I never tire of seeing how any given player can on any part of the pitch "ball" (to use the vernacular of the youth) . Go be the days when Mike Ross would get the ball and you knew exactly what was going to happen next he'd go into contact and make flip all yards or he'd shovel a pass to his left. Never mastered the left to right myself. :oops: Not a slight on Rossy, I love Rossy and he's exactly the kind of prop I wanted to be when I was lad, but the game has moved on.
We were dynamic, aggressive and most importantly absolutely clinical. It was an absolute pleasure. I know a few things went wrong for us, but it's just a luxury to watch a final against one of your greatest rivals and after 20 minutes think to yourself "we've got this lot on toast"
Can't understand the media angle on Munster, if we lost so many finals and derbies they'd be wheeling out the ladyboy tag again. Personally, I think they have a coaching ticket problem there. For years they've had nothing going on in attack when we play them, they just seem to shovel the ball along the line meaninglessly. Their kicking game developed because they couldn't get anything out of ball in hand. De Allende didn't look particularly interested. I'd wonder about the quality of their coaching AND their culture. The great Munster team of the 2000's ran on culture and the sum was always greater than the parts, not sure that's the case anymore.

The reality is we butchered 3 or 4 chances that would have made that a 25-30 point game and that would have been a fair reflection of the game and it might have forced the coaching to have a long look at themselves down in Limerick. You look at what's happening up at Ulster and how their academy is starting to produce again and you'd think they will be our biggest Irish challenge in the near future.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

POM had 1 carry. His unseen work was great though.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Keith wrote: March 29th, 2021, 3:32 pm
POM had 1 carry. His unseen work was great though.
I would say Jack O'Donoghue is sick to death of unjustifiably playing 2nd fiddle to POM and particularly nauseous at the fact that POM's ongoing selection for Munster let alone Ireland, is secured by a 2 year central contract.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The ESPN stats would suggest that James Cronin didn't touch the ball once in open play. In fairness to him he did make 12 tackles and missed none.

https://www.espn.com/rugby/playerstats? ... gue=270557
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 29th, 2021, 3:19 pm
RoboProp wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:29 am
blockhead wrote: March 28th, 2021, 11:55 pm Why does every review of the final have to be a post-mortem of Munster?
How about a celebration of the wonder that is Leinster?
Exactly this, they were beaten off the pitch and it's still about them. The narrative always seems to be about them.

You had Leinster players with massive points to prove and they more than proved them; take a well deserved bow Ruddock, Conan, Dave Kearney and Luke.

What struck me was that you had a guys who have been in the Irish camp for more time since we've returned to rugby than they've been with Leinster slot seamlessly back in. I heard Ferg say during the week that sometimes it takes a week or two to re-familiarise with the plays in the provincial systems, it was like these players were never away.

I never tire of seeing how any given player can on any part of the pitch "ball" (to use the vernacular of the youth) . Go be the days when Mike Ross would get the ball and you knew exactly what was going to happen next he'd go into contact and make flip all yards or he'd shovel a pass to his left. Never mastered the left to right myself. :oops: Not a slight on Rossy, I love Rossy and he's exactly the kind of prop I wanted to be when I was lad, but the game has moved on.
We were dynamic, aggressive and most importantly absolutely clinical. It was an absolute pleasure. I know a few things went wrong for us, but it's just a luxury to watch a final against one of your greatest rivals and after 20 minutes think to yourself "we've got this lot on toast"
Can't understand the media angle on Munster, if we lost so many finals and derbies they'd be wheeling out the ladyboy tag again. Personally, I think they have a coaching ticket problem there. For years they've had nothing going on in attack when we play them, they just seem to shovel the ball along the line meaninglessly. Their kicking game developed because they couldn't get anything out of ball in hand. De Allende didn't look particularly interested. I'd wonder about the quality of their coaching AND their culture. The great Munster team of the 2000's ran on culture and the sum was always greater than the parts, not sure that's the case anymore.

The reality is we butchered 3 or 4 chances that would have made that a 25-30 point game and that would have been a fair reflection of the game and it might have forced the coaching to have a long look at themselves down in Limerick. You look at what's happening up at Ulster and how their academy is starting to produce again and you'd think they will be our biggest Irish challenge in the near future.
Quinne was saying today that he was frightened for Munster when he saw Leinster warming up. He also didn't stick the boot in post match on Premier Sports because he felt sorry for them.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!