CJ Stander retires at end of the season

Post by Twist »

Didn't see this coming, I must admit.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 02227.html
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: CJ Stander retires at end of the season

Post by OTT »

We will miss him greatly, changed his game and filled the role of Heaslip seamlessly which was no mean feat ie being on hand to take copious amounts of our shite ball and making sure we retained possession with it. Thankless task one that he like Heaslip would get abused for by people with agendas but one that is crucial in any team, I’m sure he was much loved by his teammates and coaches for doing that tractor work, huge engine.

Always loved when we got a chance to beat lumps out of him in Leinster v Munster matches because if you stopped him you probably stopped Munster.

Best of luck in the future CJ :happy clapper:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Very surprised to hear this. He looked in great nick on Sunday and had a great game. Thanks CJ and good luck in the future.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I'd say we can expect a gargantuan performance against from him us in a couple of weeks.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Carried a huge burden of work on both sides of the ball. There he is in the 6N stats, leading the carries table, being the forward with the most metres made, third place in turnovers won.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:17 am Carried a huge burden of work on both sides of the ball. There he is in the 6N stats, leading the carries table, being the forward with the most metres made, third place in turnovers won.
Brilliant player. Left nothing out there in every single game he has played since he came to this Country.
Wants to go home in good health to raise a family, can't argue with that.
Still in his prime though, ran over Toby Faletau a few weeks ago, no mean feat.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

I thought Ireland is his home since he became Irish 🤔🤔
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

In a way I'm less surprised that he's retired. The work he goes through is unbelievable, relentless, and over years. He's worked his way into, deservedly, a great contract. It's diminishing returns in terms of quality of life after this.

Got to respect a guy who can run that calculus. It's like mountain climbing (of the Himalayan variety which I only know from countless books) knowing when to turn back is possibly the greatest skill. And one that deserts even the greats unfortunately.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Great player, great servant to Munster and Irish Rugby. If it was a coin toss for the IRFU between POM & Stander, its no contest for me. Stander everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.
Even when he had a bad game he left it all out on the pitch. Seems like one of the larger personalities in the Irish set up too.

Thanks CJ
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Nope. It wasn’t just a bad dream.

Still completely in shock over this one.
I am still hanging on to the hope that we could see an Isa like return at some stage, but not holding my breath.

Just wondering, is CJ the top capped non native player in Irish rugby history?
Obviously, besides the likes of ROG and Heaslip.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Kevin Maggs maybe?

Had the Isa thoughts myself last night. Skinstad did similar.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Closely followed by Simon Easterby
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

OTT wrote: March 17th, 2021, 10:29 am Kevin Maggs maybe?

Had the Isa thoughts myself last night. Skinstad did similar.
I probably should have been clearer, I was referring to project players, or full on imports.

Fairly sure that both Maggs and Easterby qualified through family ties?

Not trying to engage in a project player bad discussion, just curious, as I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that has even come close.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Yeah, it's interesting how most of the project players had rather peripheral involvement with the Irish team. CJ was absolutely central, the other players in the back row came in and out but he is the bedrock.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Jarrod Payne, Richardt Strauss, Bundee Aki. Good company
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

fourthirtythree wrote: March 17th, 2021, 12:30 pm Yeah, it's interesting how most of the project players had rather peripheral involvement with the Irish team. CJ was absolutely central, the other players in the back row came in and out but he is the bedrock.
Definitely, if you viewed CJ as a business investment, then the IRFU and Munster have gotten a considerable return on that investment.

Rumours were that he was getting a 2 year extension, so he could have conceivably reached the 70 cap mark.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

And Tyler Bleyendaal was unlucky with injury. Nathan White too.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

CJ was an excellent signing for Munster through a tough decade and gave great service to Ireland. Excellent Statement from him.

Good luck to him and his family and hope that there are no personal tragedies in the background to his decision. He has certainly left a lot of himself on the various pitches of Europe. Go well.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Good luck to him doesn't owe us anything. Left it all out there Everytime. I'd be amazed if he never steps on a rugby pitch for a professional side again though.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I thought Franno and Luke’s podcast chat about him was a bit sh!t, which isn’t surprising.

For anyone who missed it involved a lot of conjecture that this is all a smokescreen and he already has a secret contract with the Bulls and sure what would tou expect you know what these project players are like; mercenaries, no loyalty, he stole those caps from Jack Conan godammit!