Leinster Squad 20-21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster Squad 20-21

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Leo, Stuart, PC and RB have all signed new contracts (no details on how long)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster Rugby and the IRFU have this evening confirmed a one-year contract extension for Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen.

The news was formally announced by Leinster Rugby at an exclusive online Q&A event with Cullen for Official Members.

Cullen, who won 221 caps for Leinster and was captain of three Heineken Cup-winning squads, was appointed Head Coach at the start of the 2015/16 season and will now lead the province for a further season until the end of the 2021/22 season.

Leinster Rugby CEO Mick Dawson also confirmed that Stuart Lancaster, Felipe Contepomi and Robin McBryde have also been retained by Leinster Rugby for a further two years.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Great stuff.

(Was there talk about Contepomi leaving a few months ago or was that another thing I’ve contrived in my head?)
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

OTT wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:29 pm Great stuff.

(Was there talk about Contepomi leaving a few months ago or was that another thing I’ve contrived in my head?)
Was rumoured he might be off yes.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Leo - There will be good news in relation to player signings in the next couple of weeks

Make of that what you will! :shock:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:59 pm Leo - There will be good news in relation to player signings in the next couple of weeks

Bent and Toner are staying? :happy clapper:
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 16th, 2021, 6:01 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:59 pm Leo - There will be good news in relation to player signings in the next couple of weeks

Bent and Toner are staying? :happy clapper:
Well he did say that if he was to give out an unsung hero award at the moment he would give it to "Michael Bent" and went on to say how great he was playing and how valuable he was to the team.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

backrower8 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 2:50 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:45 pm
erskinechilders wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:20 pm I'm not worried about any of our backrow going to Munster. Ulster are the worry for our backrowers. Munster have :
Peter O'Mahony
Chris Cloete
Tommy O'Donnell
Jack O'Donoghue
Jack O'Sullivan
Gavin Coombes
Alex Kendellen
John Hodnett

That's a formidable list of backrowers, especially with the upside Coombes, O'Sullivan, Kendellen & Hodnett have.
TOD is done and I think Cloetes contract is up this year and he’s heading off. Two 7s gone, add to that the fact that Munster haven’t trusted many of the younger guys to date this season.
Squads are going to look a little lean under the fiscal cuts and we don’t have the Davy’s money to prop us up anymore 😉
Yeah I guess but with Munster in our league is much rather see lads moving abroad where we are less likely to come up against them. Also less chance of them bringing joy to the turnips
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Was there some online members' Q&A with Leo last night? Was it recorded anywhere?
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Has there been any news on how Max Deegan's recovery is going?
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

berliner wrote: March 17th, 2021, 12:52 pm Has there been any news on how Max Deegan's recovery is going?
Munster are keeping a close eye.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Keith wrote: March 17th, 2021, 1:39 pm
berliner wrote: March 17th, 2021, 12:52 pm Has there been any news on how Max Deegan's recovery is going?
Munster are keeping a close eye.
Not sure why. All of a sudden they have all the best back rows in the country if their loyal fans are to be believed. They can f off.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

It’s not that surprising that Munster fans think they’re stacked in the back row. All club fans overrate their players all the time, and underrate the players for rival clubs.

Trying to look at it objectively, as it stands, what does Munster’s back row look like next season?

Coombes probably takes CJ’s spot at 8, Beirne and O’Mahony take 6 and 7, assuming Snyman comes back fit and healthy.

There’s no balance there really, it lacks any real power from the 6 position. O’Sullivan and O’Donoghue have come in a good bit at 6 this season, but haven’t been great, and for all the talk of Hodnett being the next best thing, he has 2 starts for Munster and looks like he’s out for a year.

I don’t think van der Flier or Connors are what they need, they need power, Conan, Deegan and Penny fit the bill for them, they’ll get one of those.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Will you guys go big on any NIQ moving forward or is it more of the same of the production line? Is there a specific area you would like to strengthen or it is a case of getting the odd one or two experienced heads in to cover when the first teamers are away?
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Serb wrote: March 17th, 2021, 2:52 pm Coombes probably takes CJ’s spot at 8, Beirne and O’Mahony take 6 and 7,

There’s no balance there really, it lacks any real power from the 6 position.
You don't think Beirne offers enough power at 6? How? He's been immense there for Ireland over the last few weeks, and with Coombes, who is also hugely powerful, there's more than enough power in that backrow.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Serb wrote: March 17th, 2021, 2:52 pm It’s not that surprising that Munster fans think they’re stacked in the back row. All club fans overrate their players all the time, and underrate the players for rival clubs.

Trying to look at it objectively, as it stands, what does Munster’s back row look like next season?

Coombes probably takes CJ’s spot at 8, Beirne and O’Mahony take 6 and 7, assuming Snyman comes back fit and healthy.

There’s no balance there really, it lacks any real power from the 6 position. O’Sullivan and O’Donoghue have come in a good bit at 6 this season, but haven’t been great, and for all the talk of Hodnett being the next best thing, he has 2 starts for Munster and looks like he’s out for a year.

I don’t think van der Flier or Connors are what they need, they need power, Conan, Deegan and Penny fit the bill for them, they’ll get one of those.
Not a chance conan or penny go anywhere at the moment. Theres no guarantee that leavy can get back to his old self. Doris has to be managed right given his concussion history plus hes only young and will need to be rotated. Deegan might the only one who might have to consider a move and i would advise him to go anywhere but down to that shower. Even so, max isn't fit and not sure hes the big powerhouse they seem obsessed with down there. So I think those lads should and probably will stay with us. Imo!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Add Will Connors to huge injury list, mcl tear apparently.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on March 18th, 2021, 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

wixfjord wrote: March 16th, 2021, 9:18 am Frawley/Henshaw looked pretty good against Montpellier.

I agree ROL has done well, but I think the other two have a few more strings to their bow.

I'd imagine we'll see Ross, Frawley, ROL as our 10,12,13 for the league final.
Frawley starting 12 and Henshaw starting 13 this weekend, with ROL on the wing.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

JB1973 wrote: March 17th, 2021, 4:04 pm Will you guys go big on any NIQ moving forward or is it more of the same of the production line? Is there a specific area you would like to strengthen or it is a case of getting the odd one or two experienced heads in to cover when the first teamers are away?
Be shocked if we were allowed. Question is how many of what's coming through will we be allowed keep as I suspect some other provinces will also not be allowed to sign from abroad
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 18th, 2021, 3:24 pm Add Will Connors to huge injury list, mcl tear apparently.
Balls! That's a long time out right? Worse or better from a healing perspective then ACL?