Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by munster#1 »

jimbobjoe wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:55 am Anyway - Munster and Lucifora can do one if they want a Leinster backrow to replace him :evil:
I hear that Penny has a grandmother from west Cork.
He would slot in nicely into the Munster backrow.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He’ll be 31. Lots of rugby left in him of course but he plays hard in an attritional position and there’s form for players going around that time.

Gleeson went young, Nacewa the first time. He’s made enough money so why not get out while he has his health. Especially with all the concussion issues going around.

Playing through all the COVID restrictions with a young family isn’t fun either.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Like everyone I’m pretty shocked by this!

His reasoning makes complete sense and as gutted as I am that he’s leaving I think it’s brilliant in a way. There’s far more to life than just plugging away for a pay cheque and putting a strain on your family or not being able to see parents etc. Plus there’s so much talk about concussion at the moment that if there’s another option to get out while the going is good then why not take it? There’s no reason why everyone should eek out every last possible second of their rugby career.

I’d echo what M#1 said about how he is with fans as well. I’ve never spoken to him but have seen him dealing with fans on several occasions and he doesn’t just pose for a photo he’s very happy to have long chats even with lads who might be hanging out of him after having a few pints. Himself and Heaslip are the two who spring to mind when I think of players who are the nicest off the pitch.

Thanks for the memories CJ :happy clapper:
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

jimbobjoe wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:55 am Anyway - Munster and Lucifora can do one if they want a Leinster backrow to replace him :evil:
Munster fans will have zero shame lining up their next leinster backrows to replace.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:19 am
Munster fans will have zero shame lining up their next leinster backrows to replace.
Not sure if that is tongue in cheek, but for me, as a Munster fan, I would be disappointed if Munster do sign another backrow.

Munster are well stacked at the moment. They have very good options across the backrow, and IMO should back the options that they have.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:16 am Like everyone I’m pretty shocked by this!

His reasoning makes complete sense and as gutted as I am that he’s leaving I think it’s brilliant in a way. There’s far more to life than just plugging away for a pay cheque and putting a strain on your family or not being able to see parents etc. Plus there’s so much talk about concussion at the moment that if there’s another option to get out while the going is good then why not take it? There’s no reason why everyone should eek out every last possible second of their rugby career.

I’d echo what M#1 said about how he is with fans as well. I’ve never spoken to him but have seen him dealing with fans on several occasions and he doesn’t just pose for a photo he’s very happy to have long chats even with lads who might be hanging out of him after having a few pints. Himself and Heaslip are the two who spring to mind when I think of players who are the nicest off the pitch.

Thanks for the memories CJ :happy clapper:
You are very right in all that you say.
While the life of a pro rugby player may seem glamorous from the outside looking in, the big drawback is the considerable time away from family.
Whilst on tours or even in Irish camp in Dublin, CJ would have barely seen his family.

For CJ there is the added element that his parents and siblings are based in SA, which can not be easy.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well it's all already been said so I won't repeat!

As a Leinster supporter the best compliment I can give him is to say I'm pretty happy we won't be facing him again after June.

Go well young man!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

munster#1 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:31 am
Not sure if that is tongue in cheek, but for me, as a Munster fan, I would be disappointed if Munster do sign another backrow.

Munster are well stacked at the moment. They have very good options across the backrow, and IMO should back the options that they have.
Why would it be tongue in cheek? Just have a quick look on boards. Ie and there's already a list of names being thrown about... Anyway not the time for this I suppose, it's time to reflect on his great career.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:45 am
munster#1 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:31 am

Why would it be tongue in cheek? Just have a quick look on boards. Ie and there's already a list of names being thrown about... Anyway not the time for this I suppose, it's time to reflect on his great career.
I just wasn’t sure.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:43 am Well it's all already been said so I won't repeat!

As a Leinster supporter the best compliment I can give him is to say I'm pretty happy we won't be facing him again after June.

Go well young man!
Plus 1 CJ well deserves any plaudits he's been given.
That's CJ Stander not our CJ. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Blue not red blood wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:53 am A cunning plan and paves the way for Zeebs to return as an 8.
He has the body shape for it
He'd need to drop a few kgs first :wink:
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

RoboProp wrote: March 16th, 2021, 12:16 pm
Blue not red blood wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:53 am A cunning plan and paves the way for Zeebs to return as an 8.
He has the body shape for it
He'd need to drop a few kgs first :wink:
A few? :D
lotmc
Learner

Post by lotmc »

Best of luck to CJ; great player and always seemed to give 100% in red and green. Genuinely nice bloke as well.

Any thoughts on why the announcement was made 4 days before a very big game? Given that he is retiring for family reasons, there should not have been any reason not to delay the announcement until after the England game. Timing seems a bit odd to me.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

lotmc wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:34 pm Best of luck to CJ; great player and always seemed to give 100% in red and green. Genuinely nice bloke as well.

Any thoughts on why the announcement was made 4 days before a very big game? Given that he is retiring for family reasons, there should not have been any reason not to delay the announcement until after the England game. Timing seems a bit odd to me.
His last game for Ireland. So maybe he wanted it known?
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

What's going on with Hodnett, is he injured?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Keith wrote: March 16th, 2021, 2:26 pm What's going on with Hodnett, is he injured?
Yep did his Achilles which ended his season.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 16th, 2021, 2:39 pm
Keith wrote: March 16th, 2021, 2:26 pm What's going on with Hodnett, is he injured?
Cheers, Hopefully he gets back soon great prospect.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: March 16th, 2021, 2:41 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 16th, 2021, 2:39 pm
Cheers, Hopefully he gets back soon great prospect.
He does seem to be a great prospect, and would likely have gotten double digit appearances this season had he remains fit.

Hopefully he comes back stronger than ever next season, because that 7 shirt is definitely up for grabs
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Am pretty sure I'd heard a rumour a few months back suggest CJ was not renewing to return to family in SA.

So less surprised that others but will say he was an honest, gritty and hard-working player who had the respect of teammates and opponents alike.

Best of luck to him in Gauteng.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster team to face Treviso named.
This team is a clear indication that Munster are fully invested in the future 😉.

I love the look of that front row and second row, some real potential there.
The backrow will be a real nuisance for the Italians, with all three being very solid at the breakdown.

Hard to call this game, with so many changes, but I am cautiously optimistic that this team could add real flair.

MUNSTER: Jake Flannery; Andrew Conway, Alex McHenry, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; JJ Hanrahan, Paddy Patterson; Liam O’Connor, Diarmuid Barron, Keynan Knox; Cian Hurley, Thomas Ahern; Jack O’Donoghue (C), Chris Cloete, Jack O’Sullivan. Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Roman Salanoa, Jack Daly, Tommy O’Donnell, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Matt Gallagher.