Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by Keith »

sunshiner1 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 2:54 am Donnacha Ryan is out of contract at Racing. Connacht are meant to be in contact with him and you'd assume Munster would be in talks with him as well. Anyone heard anything about him?
Rumoured to be joining Vannes where he could link up with Darren o shea
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Joey was brilliant, great to see. Tough conditions so obviously he was never going to be throwing the ball around but the run for the try was outstanding, he kicked beautifully both off the tee and out of hand, and seemed to really enjoy the physical side of it.

Can’t agree with the praise of Daly by M#1, thought he had a really poor game aside from getting his try (and don’t forget Joey had to push him out of the way) and a nice offload after McCarthy’s charge down. He had at least two forward passes and one knock on and made other errors as well. He’s a habit of looking to chip over the top after a break as and ignores better options around him. I think he’s regressed a lot and is in danger of finding himself out of the Ireland squad permanently if the likes of Baloucoune come through.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 13th, 2021, 12:32 pm Joey was brilliant, great to see. Tough conditions so obviously he was never going to be throwing the ball around but the run for the try was outstanding, he kicked beautifully both off the tee and out of hand, and seemed to really enjoy the physical side of it.

Can’t agree with the praise of Daly by M#1, thought he had a really poor game aside from getting his try (and don’t forget Joey had to push him out of the way) and a nice offload after McCarthy’s charge down. He had at least two forward passes and one knock on and made other errors as well. He’s a habit of looking to chip over the top after a break as and ignores better options around him. I think he’s regressed a lot and is in danger of finding himself out of the Ireland squad permanently if the likes of Baloucoune come through.
I 100% agree there LRIP. Saw him praised elsewhere and I just don't get it. I'm a big fan of him and he's a real physical specimen, but he has gone backwards at a rate of knots imo.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 13th, 2021, 12:32 pm Joey was brilliant, great to see. Tough conditions so obviously he was never going to be throwing the ball around but the run for the try was outstanding, he kicked beautifully both off the tee and out of hand, and seemed to really enjoy the physical side of it.

In fairness, I named checked a few players, and if we are only disagreeing on one, then that is not too bad.
For me I thought he had a very good game, especially considering the conditions.
His support line for his try was very clever, as it meant that defenders had to work to stay with him, allowing Carberry space, his turn of pace to score the try was brilliant.

However, I do agree that he has regressed, and I suspect that that is the result of holding tackle bags for much of the season.
He is still learning his trade and probably would have been better off left with Munster for the full season.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

CJ Stander just announced he is retiring end of this season.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That is a massive f%~king shock!
I have Bumbleflex
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:09 am That is a massive f%~king shock!
So either niggling injury or the pay on offer (here or elsewhere) doesn't make it worthwhile - or just fatigued with it all.

It's not form or ability to play at the level
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He's playing the best rugby I've ever seen him play right now, in absolutely cracking form
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

To say that I’m in shock is an understatement.
I hope this was his own decision, and not as a result of a low ball offer from the IRFU.

He has a young family and a new business, perhaps the money just isn’t worth the time away.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Family, wants to back home in SA on the farm.
He has a farm in Africa, to steal a phrase

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/03/16/ ... of-season/
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

munster#1 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:23 am To say that I’m in shock is an understatement.
I hope this was his own decision, and not as a result of a low ball offer from the IRFU.

He has a young family and a new business, perhaps the money just isn’t worth the time away.
He always struck me as a very measured gentleman, maybe this pandemic has made him think he's raising a family away from home. I have friends in Australia who want to come home when this is all over. Can't put a price on kin. He's been an amazing servant to Irish rugby
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Statement on irishrugby.com : https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/03/16/cj ... rom-rugby/

I'm shocked. I've nothing but respect for the guy and wish him and his family the very best.

He's been such a committed, brave and tireless player for Ireland – an absolute battler that you would want beside you in every changing room and on every pitch.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

munster#1 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:23 am To say that I’m in shock is an understatement.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:33 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Not worth it.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:09 am That is a massive f%~king shock!
Thats a bit of an understatement.
Shocked to see him go - he has plenty left in the tank - but family comes first.
Best of luck to him.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

A cunning plan and paves the way for Zeebs to return as an 8.
He has the body shape for it
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Absolute warrior of a player. His statement was very touching and shows just a snippet of his character. He'll be missed on these shores.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

The line about the winter training session makes it abundantly clear that he's sick of Limerick. Hard to blame him. No doubt he'll be lining up against Munster for the Bulls or whoever in the pro 16 soon enough.

(Joking joking joking. I swear)
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Anyway - Munster and Lucifora can do one if they want a Leinster backrow to replace him :evil:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

For me CJ is everything that a Pro rugby player should be.
He is well respected by everyone the world over for his work ethic and rate.

He plays the game for 80 mins, and is as good at min 80 as min 1.
He never appears rattled by anything. He doesn’t get involved in any of the on field bs, just goes about his job.

Off the field he is a gent. I regularly bring one of my daughters to games, and you can be assured if CJ is playing that she will end up getting a photo with him as he always makes time for the fans.

Also, it was a nice touch for him to mention Axel in his statement. CJ did not have an easy start to his munster career, but thankfully Axel took him under his wing, and can be credited for greatly assisting CJ in becoming a top class international player.