Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

Post by riocard911 »

That performance exceeded my wildest expectations. Blues Talk Dave, fair play to him, called it correctly on the podcast, pointing out, that there's a reason we've way loads more lads away with Ireland then they do.

I love free flowing Leinstertainment as much as the next guy or gal, but God almighty, that tryline siege warfare at close quarters, where ever millimetre counts and handling, body positioning and pack organisation have to be top notch is enormously entertaining. Ditto Leinster's defence of their own tryline. I could watch that stuff for hours. The detail is incredible. The courage is huge and the excellent coaching, that's gone in to it, on show for all to see.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

riocard911 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 12:57 pm That performance exceeded my wildest expectations. Blues Talk Dave, fair play to him, called it correctly on the podcast, pointing out, that there's a reason we've way loads more lads away with Ireland then they do.

I love free flowing Leinstertainment as much as the next guy or gal, but God almighty, that tryline siege warfare at close quarters, where ever millimetre counts and handling, body positioning and pack organisation have to be top notch is enormously entertaining. Ditto Leinster's defence of their own tryline. I could watch that stuff for hours. The detail is incredible. The courage is huge and the excellent coaching, that's gone in to it, on show for all to see.
Agree completely. Like watching a 30 minute safety exchange in snooker compared to a quickly rattled-off century. One for the purists!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

joooooe wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:12 pm
riocard911 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 12:57 pm That performance exceeded my wildest expectations. Blues Talk Dave, fair play to him, called it correctly on the podcast, pointing out, that there's a reason we've way loads more lads away with Ireland then they do.

Agree completely. Like watching a 30 minute safety exchange in snooker compared to a quickly rattled-off century. One for the purists!
Thornley called it a farce. I’ll be mad at him for a while over that.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

ronk wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:24 pm

I wonder if he'd have a similar line if Munster won that way
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:33 pm
Assuredly not
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Totally agree. I watched with two purists in oor bubble and we all thought it was a cracking performance and that includes the sparks of genius from Balacoumbe & Lowry and even Cooney's defensive tackle to prevent Luke finishing off the MOR catch, break, offload.

There were so many good aspects, it will take a long time to catelogue and digest them all.

A quick word about Penny. He is a superb player and has excellent PODs. However, he is our Michael Hooper and takes huge punishment. His major plus point now is his ball carrying. When he moves up to International rugby, he will be required to focus on breakdown turnovers. They'll want to see him developing like Underhill but I'd like to see him continue to become Hamish Watson, but with a try a game.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

ronk wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:49 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:33 pm
Assuredly not
No it would have been 'teak tough' 'dogged old school Munster' 'back to basics' 'physical dominance' 'liginds'.........
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Watching again and God Scott Fardy was very good. Not quite the SF of old but getting involved in everything
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Seriously, why would anyone worry about what Thornley says any more ?. He invariably gets his predictions wrong, and really his rugby analysis skills have been shown up to be 'shabby' to say the least.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Our attitude looked really good. Penny really looks like hes close to demanding attention with Ireland, Baloucoune also. Michael Bent outstanding, hes in the form of his life. O'Reilly had a few moments of brilliance but his defense needs to improve. Very positive stuff!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

alanair wrote: March 7th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Seriously, why would anyone worry about what Thornley says any more ?. He invariably gets his predictions wrong, and really his rugby analysis skills have been shown up to be 'shabby' to say the least.
I really don’t bother with most rugby journalists as they genuinely know less about rugby than I do. MK and our own Hugonaut are the exceptions.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: March 7th, 2021, 10:46 am
blockhead wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:49 pm
FLIP wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:46 pm
Short of seasoning so you had to head to the salt mines blockhead?
Always good for a larf is the oul UAFC. Headbangers central.
Love when the Mexican's head up to Texas and f%~k the place up
Colonel Travis wouldn't agree.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Just sitting down to rewatch that match. Looking at the pitch the thought reoccurred that I had last night. What do the grounds people do all week up in Ravers? Or are Ulster Rugby too scabby they can't pay the water dues. It's only the beginning of March and you'd think the lads are playing on Arrakis, ffs!!!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

riocard911 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 5:21 pm Just sitting down to rewatch that match. Looking at the pitch the thought reoccurred that I had last night. What do the grounds people do all week up in Ravers? Or are Ulster Rugby too scabby they can't pay the water dues? It's only the beginning of March and you'd think the lads are playing on Arrakis, ffs!!!
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

Well played leinster. Deserving of the win. Scott Penny was very impressive. From an Ulster perspective I do feel raw about the cards.Warwick was a red but no worse than toner or obrien I thought. I thought o'Brien's was the worst of the three incidents. Baloucounes try was a try i felt as well. I thought ruddock bought the decoy and I think rhys thought that too in fairness. All that said, I thought the outcome was fair. Leinster were going to win that game. The margin was partly the ref but the result fair enough.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

blockhead wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:45 pm
Twist wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:27 pm Jesus the comments on the Ulster forum are awful. More than one saying Frank Murphy is corrupt and on the take, blaming the ex-Leinster players in the Ulster squad, saying the officials are sectarian. Really ugly stuff
That's UAFC, that's just the way they are.
It's not that bad. I just had a quick look. a few eejits on there but most are just annoyed and frustrated with the red card. their season is over now and they are venting.

I thought it was lining up to be a really decent game prior to that and I agreed with the refs initial decision..i.e. "not dangerous..just a yellow". The TMO seemed to keep asking him to watch it until it became red.

That said..I was really impressed with MOTM penny. he's been impressing for a while but I think he's going to be something special for Leinster...and Ireland.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

allezlesverres wrote: March 7th, 2021, 5:29 pm Well played leinster. Deserving of the win. Scott Penny was very impressive. From an Ulster perspective I do feel raw about the cards.Warwick was a red but no worse than toner or obrien I thought. I thought o'Brien's was the worst of the three incidents. Baloucounes try was a try i felt as well. I thought ruddock bought the decoy and I think rhys thought that too in fairness. All that said, I thought the outcome was fair. Leinster were going to win that game. The margin was partly the ref but the result fair enough.
If you're running a decoy line but are ahead of the ball (and therefore never in a position to receive it) you're way more likely to have the decision go against you even when it's a marginal call.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

cormac wrote: March 7th, 2021, 6:27 pm
allezlesverres wrote: March 7th, 2021, 5:29 pm Well played leinster. Deserving of the win. Scott Penny was very impressive. From an Ulster perspective I do feel raw about the cards.Warwick was a red but no worse than toner or obrien I thought. I thought o'Brien's was the worst of the three incidents. Baloucounes try was a try i felt as well. I thought ruddock bought the decoy and I think rhys thought that too in fairness. All that said, I thought the outcome was fair. Leinster were going to win that game. The margin was partly the ref but the result fair enough.
If you're running a decoy line but are ahead of the ball (and therefore never in a position to receive it) you're way more likely to have the decision go against you even when it's a marginal call.
True. I've seen those called both ways. In real time I have to say I thought he was a realistic carrier so not ahead when the pass was released. Ruddock thought so too as did most of the leinster team. But your point is fair, I'm not saying it was a binary yes no decision. I think however 9 times out of 10 that's a try. But as I say, not influential on the outcome. On a related topic I would be surprised if baloucoune doesnt get caps in green by this time next year.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

allezlesverres wrote: March 7th, 2021, 7:17 pm
cormac wrote: March 7th, 2021, 6:27 pm
True. I've seen those called both ways. In real time I have to say I thought he was a realistic carrier so not ahead when the pass was released. Ruddock thought so too as did most of the leinster team. But your point is fair, I'm not saying it was a binary yes no decision. I think however 9 times out of 10 that's a try. But as I say, not influential on the outcome. On a related topic I would be surprised if baloucoune doesnt get caps in green by this time next year.
You think wrong. 9/10 that’s no try. It was obvious blocking. The only questionable decision was whether JOBs card was red or yellow. Probably red for me.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Honestly, I wouldn't be complaining of it was called against us. As it has been. Numerous times.

I'd be complaining we got caught maybe.