Glasgow at Home, Sunday the 28th, 5.30pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Re: Glasgow at Home, Sunday the 28th, 5.30pm

Post by erskinechilders »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:29 am From my POV it’s based on his school days and the 20’s as well. Still a small body of work but it’s over a long period of time.

He’s got a lot going for him technically, athletically and he’s clearly a leader but for whatever reason he just doesn’t play like a ten IMO. He just strikes me as a guy who needs a good ten to get the best out of him rather than him being a ten who gets the best out of others, in fact I think he generally makes them worse.
Exactly, even in the 2019 u20 6 Nations Hawkshaw played pretty much exclusively as a 12 when he was a fit. He does a lot of things very well and I think he'll be a great player in the future but I just don't see that at 10. Irish 10's tend to be game managers and I just have never really seen that from Hawkshaw.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:29 am From my POV it’s based on his school days and the 20’s as well. Still a small body of work but it’s over a long period of time.

He’s got a lot going for him technically, athletically and he’s clearly a leader but for whatever reason he just doesn’t play like a ten IMO. He just strikes me as a guy who needs a good ten to get the best out of him rather than him being a ten who gets the best out of others, in fact I think he generally makes them worse.
The way he plays he’s like a mixed between a centre and a back row and he’s being played at outhalf. Great player but not sure if outhalf is his position long term. He’s played well when he’s come on as a centre so I’d like to see him get more game time there. He did get a touch line conversion so his kicking isn’t that bad bar the one missed pen so he does have potential to be a great kicker IMO maybe he just needs more time at out half? Would like to see him get more game time and see how it goes for him, looks like a really exciting prospect just not sure whether he should be playing out half or not.
Munsterman97

Post by Munsterman97 »

Hi guys . New poster here . I have a couple of questions for the Leinster die hard s . How good is scott Penny ? What would be is favoured/best position? He seems to be absolutely class to me and seriously fast . Also wondering about Frawley. Would he make it as a international centre ? I was very impressed with him as a 10 as well . Gutted Harry Byrne went off the other day . He was taking that game to Glasgow and dominating at times .
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Hands off!!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Munsterman97 wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:02 pm Hi guys . New poster here . I have a couple of questions for the Leinster die hard s . How good is scott Penny ? What would be is favoured/best position? He seems to be absolutely class to me and seriously fast . Also wondering about Frawley. Would he make it as a international centre ? I was very impressed with him as a 10 as well . Gutted Harry Byrne went off the other day . He was taking that game to Glasgow and dominating at times .
Hi Johann - welcome to the boards :wink:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The Doc wrote: March 1st, 2021, 1:20 pm
Munsterman97 wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:02 pm Hi guys . New poster here . I have a couple of questions for the Leinster die hard s . How good is scott Penny ? What would be is favoured/best position? He seems to be absolutely class to me and seriously fast . Also wondering about Frawley. Would he make it as a international centre ? I was very impressed with him as a 10 as well . Gutted Harry Byrne went off the other day . He was taking that game to Glasgow and dominating at times .
Hi Johann - welcome to the boards :wink:
Muncifor more like. :(
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Glad to be wrong about Cian Kelleher on Sunday. Had another good game.

I wonder was there something up with Josh Murphy, he didn't appear to reach the performance levels that we have seen from him this season.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

the spoofer wrote: March 1st, 2021, 4:43 pm Glad to be wrong about Cian Kelleher on Sunday. Had another good game.

I wonder was there something up with Josh Murphy, he didn't appear to reach the performance levels that we have seen from him this season.
He was excellent in first 20 and dropped off after that alright. I think he was trying to help the centre partnership stop them making breaks and gave away a few unnecessary pens.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

No Scott Penny here man, try South Africa
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Australia previously deployed a physical 6 with 2opensides to great effect. So it was interesting to see Leinster do it with Fardy in the row.

Penny accelerates so hard and so low he can be dominant. Glasgow started pulling him and vdF into rucks to disrupt things.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

hugonaut wrote: March 1st, 2021, 10:12 am The value that Harry Byrne brings is immense. He makes every player in the backline look better and makes the team runs much more smoothly and effectively when he's in at No10. As somebody said above, Hawkshaw looks like a good rugby player, but at this stage of his career he is nowhere near Harry's level as an outhalf. With that said, I like his moxie. He's got the competitive edge you're looking for in a Leinster player.

Luke McGrath is having a great season for us. It's between him and Rhys for our Player of the Year thus far.
Not wanting to put too fine a point on it, but there were so many instances in that match where the ball (by Harry) being passed half a metre in front of the player creates momentum and pace as the players outside are having to move forward to receive it. I've been critical of his unsympathetic passing at times, but thought he was great. Osborne fed off that too, he was Bam Bam like in how he took the ball to the line for the latest possible pass on a number of occasions.

That said, the quality of Leinsters passing in play has gone downhill in the past couple of seasons. We seem to have gotten used to the receiver of the ball jogging forward and doing that jump up with their hands reaching backwards to catch the ball. Drives me bananas.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Lock9541 wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:47 am

The way he plays he’s like a mixed between a centre and a back row and he’s being played at outhalf. Great player but not sure if outhalf is his position long term. He’s played well when he’s come on as a centre so I’d like to see him get more game time there. He did get a touch line conversion so his kicking isn’t that bad bar the one missed pen so he does have potential to be a great kicker IMO maybe he just needs more time at out half? Would like to see him get more game time and see how it goes for him, looks like a really exciting prospect just not sure whether he should be playing out half or not.
I could see him at 10 or 12. He's a fantastic athlete and a wonderful broken field runner and distributor. I see some of the comments on game management but you can learn that. I think at 12 he's running into serious physical limitations given his size. Up against 125kg and 1.95 M centres in France or England he's going to be in trouble.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Interesting comments from Robin McBride re: our tackling. Wonder who he was referring to: :shock:

"Scott Fardy spoke up and said that personal pride really is what you carry with you, a level of intensity and there is no better sign with regard to that in how you go round in defending and how much pride you take in your one-on-one tackles and we just fell off quite a few. It was very uncharacteristic of us - a certain individual in particular really - so nobody was happy.

"That's one thing that we've got to put right when you look at the threat Ulster pose, especially in the backs and the powerful runners and great footwork."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/030 ... s-glasgow/
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Well 7 players missed 3 tackles each..and 4 more missed 2 each..