Pro14 - Sooner SA teams the better

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Pro14 - Sooner SA teams the better

Post by munster#1 »

Chatting to a friend today and he was saying that the new format will see each team play each other once, with the addition of derby matches.

For the purpose of derby games the Scots and the Italians will be grouped.

That will be a massive benefit to the Scottish teams who have an additional opportunity of picking up bonus points.

This will hopefully put additional pressure on the provinces, which can only be a good thing for fans and the union.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2021, 4:51 pm Chatting to a friend today and he was saying that the new format will see each team play each other once, with the addition of derby matches.

That will be a massive benefit to the Scottish teams who have an additional opportunity of picking up bonus points.

This will hopefully put additional pressure on the provinces, which can only be a good thing for fans and the union.
cr@p! So we'll now be only getting 18 games on our season tickets instead of the 22 we used to get
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Xanthippe wrote: January 20th, 2021, 6:57 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2021, 4:51 pm Chatting to a friend today and he was saying that the new format will see each team play each other once, with the addition of derby matches.

cr@p! So we'll now be only getting 18 games on our season tickets instead of the 22 we used to get
That’s what it looks like alright.

I suppose the positive would be a reduction of games during international weekends, which would mean that we should see stronger teams all round.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

That would mean weaker teams as less games mean less need for depth and you move closer to espoirs instead of rotation.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2021, 7:08 pm

I suppose the positive would be a reduction of games during international weekends, which would mean that we should see stronger teams all round.

Which also means less time/opportunities for the academy lads to make an impression - I hope we don’t end up regretting it
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Xanthippe wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:00 am

Which also means less time/opportunities for the academy lads to make an impression - I hope we don’t end up regretting it
That is one knock on effect alright, but the positive is that when academy players do get chances they won’t be playing against the Treviso reserves during a 6 nations weekend.

Players will be playing a higher standard of rugby most weeks, so players should only improve as a result.
Teams will be battle hardened going into Europe because the games they play in the league should be a lot closer to the standard of the HC.

If game time for the academy is identified an issue, then perhaps a reserves Pro10 could be arranged similar to the B&I cup, but against the Pro16 teams from Scotland and Wales, where the A game is played on the same day as the first team game as a warm up game.
Fans could be granted early entry into the stadium to watch.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

There will have to be more 'A' matches or a separate celtic cup tournament for 'A' players, I'd say
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:48 am

There will have to be an 'A' tournament I'd say.
Agreed as I said above, however, this will have a big impact on the AIL.
Any decision will have to be carefully thought out, but I do think that an A tournament would be the best development
tool.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Mini Murrayfield is finished. 7,800 capacity (5,800 seated + 2,000 standing).
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Trying to work out the end of season situation.
Very hard to see the South African teams coming up here in April / May. If that is the case then am I correct in thinking we would have no competitive games should we progress to Heineken quarter, semi and final ?
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Trying to work out the end of season situation.
Very hard to see the South African teams coming up here in April / May. If that is the case then am I correct in thinking we would have no competitive games should we progress to Heineken quarter, semi and final ?
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

There has been no announcement but logic would dictate they would extend the pro 14 season to pay all the usual games. Lancaster was quoted stating that was his assumption too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The Rainbow Cup was being promoted during the games tonight and the South African union have arranged 4 friendly games for the likes of the Lions in March. All points to it happening, I assume they will come North and set up camp for a couple of months.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

That would be good news. Am sure the last thing Leinster want is to be finished competitive matches prior to any Heineken games
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Is there anything to be said for giving players and staff vaccines?

If it got the Lions played it could mean the 4 Unions would need less Government Bail Outs.

It could be good value. Say 2000 vaccines across ROI and the 4 devolved areas of the UK could save the Irish Exchequer another €16 million. Plus having live rugby on the telly would be something to look forward to generally and would increase interest in the Lions.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

On behalf of everyone who have no interest in rugby, no.
There are too many more deserving who need to be in front of them.
Allowing the rugby to continue in the bubbles is about all we can ask for.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Maybe if the Unions go out to the market and buy the Sputnik vaccine
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Belter of a game between Edinburgh and Scarlets
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Cardiff Blues are no more

Long live Cardiff Rugby

https://twitter.com/cardiff_rugby_/stat ... 4403238913
I have Bumbleflex
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:25 pm Cardiff Blues are no more

Long live Cardiff Rugby

https://twitter.com/cardiff_rugby_/stat ... 4403238913
That dreary old bore Phil BB and his Cardiff diehard ilk will be ecstatic with this, I bet his twitter account was on fire yesterday!

In reality it won't really make any difference, it will be please the people who already go to see them and further alienate those who insist they are not a region and never have been.