A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Glasgow at Home, Sunday the 28th, 5.30pm

Post by Morf »

Jonny tight lips wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:15 am
the spoofer wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:53 am
Dave Cahill wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:20 am I'd leave Max in situ, he was good on Friday, improving every game.
Agreed. He will certainly learn more than playing Cian Kelleher out of position.
Cian has plenty of experience at 15, it’s not about Max not playing well, just think getting TOB onto the pitch would be better
Cian is mid 20s and hasn't really shown the capacity to be a first 15 starter or even a first 23 player. Given the delicate time in MORs intro to senior rugby I'd prefer to leave him in a position where he's improving game on game.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Morf wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 7:35 pm
the spoofer wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:53 am

Agreed. He will certainly learn more than playing Cian Kelleher out of position.
Cian has plenty of experience at 15, it’s not about Max not playing well, just think getting TOB onto the pitch would be better
Cian is mid 20s and hasn't really shown the capacity to be a first 15 starter or even a first 23 player. Given the delicate time in MORs intro to senior rugby I'd prefer to leave him in a position where he's improving game on game.
I think Cian is playing well. His attitude and workrate have been exceptional since his return, despite not getting regularly selected. When selected he has performed and scored tries – 8 tries in 11 starts. His yards/carry stats last year were all-world ... he was averaging around 10m/carry, which is as good as it sounds.

We've promoted two young fullbacks up the ranks in Hugo Keenan and Jimmy O'Brien over the last year and a half; it's not a position of need for us to promote another young player. Max is only in his first year in the academy and has loads of time on his side. To be frank, I think he's looked out of his depth on a few occasions ... not unexpected, but it is what it is.

I'd be far more confident with Cian at fullback, especially if it means Tommy O'Brien is back in the side as a winger. Kelleher wasa fullback all the way up through schools and U20s and has pretty decent experience there. I think giving him the opportunity to start runs in the middle of the pitch could turn out really well for us.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:19 pmI'd be far more confident with Cian at fullback, especially if it means Tommy O'Brien is back in the side as a winger. Kelleher wasa fullback all the way up through schools and U20s and has pretty decent experience there. I think giving him the opportunity to start runs in the middle of the pitch could turn out really well for us.
Not that long ago I saw Cian in the SCT final where he knee slid into every try scorer he got near. It left me with a poorer impression of him of the kind that people still hold for Liam Williams when he was up to similar.
I may be judging him unfairly but that's my bias out there in the open.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Morf wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 6:02 am
hugonaut wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:19 pmI'd be far more confident with Cian at fullback, especially if it means Tommy O'Brien is back in the side as a winger. Kelleher wasa fullback all the way up through schools and U20s and has pretty decent experience there. I think giving him the opportunity to start runs in the middle of the pitch could turn out really well for us.
Not that long ago I saw Cian in the SCT final where he knee slid into every try scorer he got near. It left me with a poorer impression of him of the kind that people still hold for Liam Williams when he was up to similar.
I may be judging him unfairly but that's my bias out there in the open.
Yeah, I wouldn't have been his biggest fan either during his first stint. In fairness to him, I think he has matured a lot. I used to view him as a complete mé féiner, but since his return I think his attitude has been really good – exceptional even. He has missed out on selection a lot but any time that he has got the nod he has come in and delivered performances full of effort and application.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:19 pm
Morf wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 7:35 pm

I think Cian is playing well. His attitude and workrate have been exceptional since his return, despite not getting regularly selected. When selected he has performed and scored tries – 8 tries in 11 starts. His yards/carry stats last year were all-world ... he was averaging around 10m/carry, which is as good as it sounds.

We've promoted two young fullbacks up the ranks in Hugo Keenan and Jimmy O'Brien over the last year and a half; it's not a position of need for us to promote another young player. Max is only in his first year in the academy and has loads of time on his side. To be frank, I think he's looked out of his depth on a few occasions ... not unexpected, but it is what it is.

I'd be far more confident with Cian at fullback, especially if it means Tommy O'Brien is back in the side as a winger. Kelleher wasa fullback all the way up through schools and U20s and has pretty decent experience there. I think giving him the opportunity to start runs in the middle of the pitch could turn out really well for us.

His attack might be excellent but his defence has been poor.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 7:22 amYeah, I wouldn't have been his biggest fan either during his first stint. In fairness to him, I think he has matured a lot. I used to view him as a complete mé féiner, but since his return I think his attitude has been really good – exceptional even. He has missed out on selection a lot but any time that he has got the nod he has come in and delivered performances full of effort and application.
Hopefully I'm proven very much wrong by his performances and attitude.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

He is Jordan Larmour-lite. I think he should stick to playing wing. He could do fine at 15 if someone had to fill in, but, based on what I've seen, I wouldn't look to get him consistent gametime in the position over others (Frawley, MOR, Jamie Osborne) because, while you'd probably see some good individual runs, I don't think he really reads the game like a distributor. The attack would be more limited than it could be.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

the spoofer wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:26 am
His attack might be excellent but his defence has been poor.
A hell of a lot better than Max O'Reilly's – Max pulled an absolute Garbajosa for the last Dragons try!

Kelleher's tackling statistics [according to Rugbypass] are very good for an outside back:

Tackle Completion %: 89%
Tackles Made: 8
Tackles Missed: 1

Tackle Completion %: 89%
Tackles Made: 41
Tackles Missed: 5

Tackle Completion %: 93%
Tackles Made: 13
Tackles Missed: 1

[source: https://www.rugbypass.com/pro-14/teams/ ... tatistics/ ]

This is just one man's opinion, but for me it wouldn't be a hard decision at all. Max is young and very, very inexperienced. He's talented enough to get into the academy, but he's not a Ringrose or Larmour level of talent – his abilities don't demand selection.

We're really short of numbers for the upcoming game. We need to get as many of our best and most experienced players on the pitch as we can – so Josh Murphy at No8, Scott Fardy at No6, Tommy O'Brien at No14 and Kelleher at No15.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I'd be in the Kelleher or Kearney to 15 rather than O'Reilly.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Max O'Reilly has looked rushed and out of position defensively on a number of occasions. A player of his physique shouldn't be caught in possesion behind his support and he has been in each recent match. Additionally, he allows attackers determine where he makes a tackle attempt - a vital aspect for a full-back.

Young Academy player with skill on the ball. Defensively naive. Plenty of time to learn, but not in an important game. We don't want Ulster to have a smell of anything when we attive in Ravenhill.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Both Rory O’Loughlin (shoulder) and Scott Penny (neck) came through the game against Dragons with no issues after returning from injury and both are expected to be available for selection this weekend.

Michael Bent, who was named in the starting team to face Dragons last weekend but did not travel to Wales due to personal reasons, has fully recovered from his neck injury and is also expected to be available for selection.

There was also positive news on Jimmy O’Brien who will return to training this week following a hamstring injury but he will require further assessment before a final decision is made on his availability.

Similarly for Ciarán Frawley who requires further assessment this week on a minor shoulder injury before a final decision is made on his availability for the game against Glasgow.

The only injury from the game against the Dragons is Scott Fardy who was withdrawn for a Head Injury Assessment late in the second half in Rodney Parade and will follow the Graduated Return to Play Protocols this week.

Unfortunately there was less positive news for Tommy O’Brien and Adam Byrne who had both stepped up their recovery last week from ankle and hamstring injuries respectively.
JOB starting at 15 be great.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

:wink:
mildlyinterested wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 2:29 pm
Both Rory O’Loughlin (shoulder) and Scott Penny (neck) came through the game against Dragons with no issues after returning from injury and both are expected to be available for selection this weekend.

Michael Bent, who was named in the starting team to face Dragons last weekend but did not travel to Wales due to personal reasons, has fully recovered from his neck injury and is also expected to be available for selection.

There was also positive news on Jimmy O’Brien who will return to training this week following a hamstring injury but he will require further assessment before a final decision is made on his availability.

Similarly for Ciarán Frawley who requires further assessment this week on a minor shoulder injury before a final decision is made on his availability for the game against Glasgow.

The only injury from the game against the Dragons is Scott Fardy who was withdrawn for a Head Injury Assessment late in the second half in Rodney Parade and will follow the Graduated Return to Play Protocols this week.

Unfortunately there was less positive news for Tommy O’Brien and Adam Byrne who had both stepped up their recovery last week from ankle and hamstring injuries respectively.
JOB starting at 15 be great.

Tommy sustained a hamstring injury in training and is expected to be out for a number of weeks, while Adam sustained a quad injury in the final stages of his rehab and has undergone a surgical repair over the weekend. He is expected to be unavailable for a number of months.

Absolutely gutted for AB,
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Something like...

1. Dooley
2. Cronin
3. Bent
4. Molony
5. Toner
6. Soroka
7. Penny
8. Murphy
9. McGrath
10. HB
11. Kearney
12. Frawley
13. ROL
14. Kelleher
15. JOB
16. Sheehan
17. Hanan
18. Clarkson
19. Dunne
20. SOB
21. HOS
22. Hawkshaw
23. Osborne
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Doris was doing on pitch stuff today.

Looked fairly light, but good to see.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

You’d start to worry for Adam Byrne with his constant injuries he has the same problems Barry Daly had and could find himself cut. It would be a shame he has real potential if he can get his defence sorted
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 4:01 pm Something like...

1. Dooley
2. Cronin
3. Bent
4. Molony
5. Toner
6. Soroka
7. Penny
8. Murphy
9. McGrath
10. HB
11. Kearney
12. Frawley
13. ROL
14. Kelleher
15. JOB
16. Sheehan
17. Hanan
18. Clarkson
19. Dunne
20. SOB
21. HOS
22. Hawkshaw
23. Osborne
Something else to have that first 15 as a possible starting with the number of players away as well as all the injuries we have. You’d worry about the lack of leadership on the bench if we lose one or two of our generals
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Would really like to see Fardy start at 6 in that Squad.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:59 am Would really like to see Fardy start at 6 in that Squad.
suppose it depends on his return from his brain injury.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

probably unlikely but I wonder if Ruddock might be released?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Bundee Aki has been released back to Connacht so it's possible
Look out Itchy, he's Irish