Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

heno
Knowledgeable

Re: Connacht 2019/20/21

Post by heno »

Why did they go for a scrum on a penalty in the 81st minute when they were 9 points down and only had 2 tries. The penalty was very kick able. Would have got them a losing BP the same as a try would have.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

heno wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 12:21 am Why did they go for a scrum on a penalty in the 81st minute when they were 9 points down and only had 2 tries. The penalty was very kick able. Would have got them a losing BP the same as a try would have.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
It was a dreadfull call - possibly cost Connacht a place in the knockouts of the Challenge Cup - but somewhat excusable. This is an unusual season in that teams 5 - 8 in each conferance qualify for the round of 16 of the Challenge Cup. Would a relatively inexperienced captain be aware of that, or would he be thinking 'okay, we're out of europe' (meaning the champions cup) 'but lets go out swinging' and the Challenge Cup wasn't even on his radar. I think thats what happened.

You could see (and hear) O'Halloran arguing in favour of the three points, but the captain's call is the captain's call.

A young, inexperienced, Captain made a bad call, it happens (Chris Robshaw). He'll learn from it for next time.
I have Bumbleflex
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Both Jack Carty and Andrew Brace having a bit of a shocker in tonight's game!
Dont Panic!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Brace cementing his reputation as a terrible ref this evening
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dexter wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:05 pm Both Jack Carty and Andrew Brace having a bit of a shocker in tonight's game!
Brace yes, but not Carty in the game I watched. His choice of options in the multi-phase passage leading to Wootam's second try was precisely what Ireland need from a play maker. Connacht hustled that win against a physically stronger Cardiff team by good forward play, mixed with athe concession of ridiculous penalties and decent guidancee from their half-backs.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:52 pm
Dexter wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:05 pm Both Jack Carty and Andrew Brace having a bit of a shocker in tonight's game!
Brace yes, but not Carty in the game I watched. His choice of options in the multi-phase passage leading to Wootam's second try was precisely what Ireland need from a play maker. Connacht hustled that win against a physically stronger Cardiff team by good forward play, mixed with athe concession of ridiculous penalties and decent guidancee from their half-backs.
Yes, he definitely got better, I posted that after watching the first 20 mins.
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Conversely, I switched over from the other tepid encounter just in time to see Wootam score his first try and stayed with that to the end and then watched the Murrayfield encounter on replay with 'fast forward' - which still looked a tepid performance compared to the Connacht display.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

The win this weekend means that Connacht get European Rugby next season. A bit more cash in the IRFU coffers to help with contracts as well.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well played Connacht. Won all the head-to-head encounters except full back and the scoreboard. Possibly the best defensive line-out ever over 80 minutes against Munster. Carty the best looking 10 over the 80mins by a distance. Blade totally out-played Casey who must be believing his press coverage.

The only words worth hearing out of Toland and Morris on Eir Sports was the selection of Thornbury as MOTM. Well deserved.

If that's Munster's current standard, no worries. The only element of their game that works is their maul.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Well played Connacht. Won all the head-to-head encounters except full back and the scoreboard. Possibly the best defensive line-out ever over 80 minutes against Munster. Carty the best looking 10 over the 80mins by a distance. Blade totally out-played Casey who must be believing his press coverage.

The only words worth hearing out of Toland and Morris on Eir Sports was the selection of Thornbury as MOTM. Well deserved.

If that's Munster's current standard, no worries. The only element of their game that works is their maul.
Carty was shocking, "oh my teams lineout has completely dismantled munsters, better make sure not to kick for touch, sure what's the worst that can happe..wow, how did Haley do that. Again."
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:43 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote:Well played Connacht. Won all the head-to-head encounters except full back and the scoreboard. Possibly the best defensive line-out ever over 80 minutes against Munster. Carty the best looking 10 over the 80mins by a distance. Blade totally out-played Casey who must be believing his press coverage.

Carty was shocking, "oh my teams lineout has completely dismantled munsters, better make sure not to kick for touch, sure what's the worst that can happe..wow, how did Haley do that. Again."
Yeah. Take the armchair ride rather than try to win the game on your own.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Enthralling game. Connacht turned up in a big way. Munster really offer very little against teams that can match them physically. But they're still hard to beat because they're difficult to break down. Looking at what Connacht did to the Munster throw, you'd have to think starting Molony in the final would be a good call. He's Leinster's best lineout stealer.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

leinsterforever wrote: March 5th, 2021, 11:12 pm Enthralling game. Connacht turned up in a big way. Munster really offer very little against teams that can match them physically. But they're still hard to beat because they're difficult to break down. Looking at what Connacht did to the Munster throw, you'd have to think starting Molony in the final would be a good call. He's Leinster's best lineout stealer.
in fairness muinster were missing POM and Beirne in the line out but I agree..I think it was 8 lineouts stolen by connacht.
cracking game and connacht played just as well as they did against us in the RDS to end our unbeaten streak.
carthy was, by far, the best 10 on the pitch..even when Joey came on.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Dave Cahill wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:43 pm

thought carthy was, by far, the best 10 on the pitch even after joey came on.
Haleys try was quality, but, you really blame carthy for all the soft tackles or attempts at tackling him as he sauntered through the defensive line?

The variety of distribution from carthy was superb....you never knew what connacht were going to do with possession ...grubber kick behind? get it out to the wing quickly? back to the forwards for punching holes? hail mary pass (like the one for the first try)?
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Aki and Dillane impressive for me alongside Thornbury. Scratching my head a bit how they didn’t win. Dillane really is in fine form and at 27 is a pretty exciting player.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Fan with smartphone wrote: March 6th, 2021, 12:22 pm Aki and Dillane impressive for me alongside Thornbury. Scratching my head a bit how they didn’t win. Dillane really is in fine form and at 27 is a pretty exciting player.
They gave up bad penalties at the wrong time in the wrong place. Ali’s yellow card hurt them too. I thought it was desperately unfair to give him yellow for denying a line break. He passed up a king hit (coming from the blindside) on a hospital pass to go for the intercept and he had a go at catching it. He wasn’t trying to stop an overlap. Of course, once you go one handed it can be called, but upgrading to yellow was based on a misreading by the ref and TMO.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: March 6th, 2021, 12:53 pm
Fan with smartphone wrote: March 6th, 2021, 12:22 pm Aki and Dillane impressive for me alongside Thornbury. Scratching my head a bit how they didn’t win. Dillane really is in fine form and at 27 is a pretty exciting player.
They gave up bad penalties at the wrong time in the wrong place. Ali’s yellow card hurt them too. I thought it was desperately unfair to give him yellow for denying a line break. He passed up a king hit (coming from the blindside) on a hospital pass to go for the intercept and he had a go at catching it. He wasn’t trying to stop an overlap. Of course, once you go one handed it can be called, but upgrading to yellow was based on a misreading by the ref and TMO.
+1
Terrible decision and it wouldn't have happened to Munster. Also missing the clothes-hanger tackle by Cloethe on Carty was really poor as even the Eir commentators (cheerleaders) noticed it.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 6th, 2021, 3:28 pm
+1
Terrible decision and it wouldn't have happened to Munster. Also missing the clothes-hanger tackle by Cloethe on Carty was really poor as even the Eir commentators (cheerleaders) noticed it.
+2
re: the hit on carthy..that was just after he came back on....couldn't believe they didn't even look at it.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: March 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm thought carthy was, by far, the best 10 on the pitch even after joey came on.
Haleys try was quality, but, you really blame carthy for all the soft tackles or attempts at tackling him as he sauntered through the defensive line?

The variety of distribution from carthy was superb....you never knew what connacht were going to do with possession ...grubber kick behind? get it out to the wing quickly? back to the forwards for punching holes? hail mary pass (like the one for the first try)?
Thats not saying a whole lot though, you'd expect someone who is a (relatively) current international to be better than a guy in his first season and a guy who has barely played since decimalisation.

The problem with Carty, last night and previously, is not him having the ability to do something, it's him knowing when to do it. With a lineout that was destroying the opposition throw he should have been kicking for touch every time. Long kicks for position that gave possession to Munster's best player on the night were a terrible decision. I don't blame Carty for missing the tackles, but if he'd found his touch there wouldn't be any tackles to miss. The most important skill for a half back isn't their passing or kicking or whatever, its their decision making. They have the ball in their hands far more than any other player and the choices they make shape the match
I have Bumbleflex
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 6th, 2021, 3:28 pm
+1
Cloete is a helluva groundhog, and he got the steal at the death, but his discipline is just a total liability. Always feel like he is about to get a penalty reversed or a try chalked off.