Glasgow at Home, Sunday the 28th, 5.30pm

Post by mildlyinterested »

5.30 on a Sunday...

Question is who will be available?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Glasgow at Home, Sunday the 28th, 5.30pm

Post by cormac »

Well, hope there weren't any more injury worries from the Dragons match. Hopefully Michael Bent and Tommy O'Brien will be available this week. The rest depends on how big a training squad Farrell selects for the Italy game and whether he's in the mood to experiment.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Baird, Conan, Ross Byrne three starters from dragons game called up to irish squad.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

This is a huge game and we're down to bare bones.

Next two weeks could go a long way to defining our season. Quick turnaround to Ulster also.

I wonder will they bring Soroka in to play 8 or push someone else in there. Josh M would probably be the best shout but don't think he has ever played there.

We might see something like:

Dooley, Cronin, Bent, Molony, Toner, Murphy, Penny, Soroka, McGrath, Harry, DK, Frawley, ROL, Kelleher, MOR
Milne, Tracy, Clarkson, Dunne, Fardy, HOS, Hawkshaw, TOB
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Josh M has played there, never started there though for Leinster.

Expect he is the safest bet to play 8 if no Conan or Ruddock.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on February 21st, 2021, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dooley, Cronin, Bent, Molony, Toner, Fardy, Penny, Murphy, McGrath, Harry, DK, Frawley, ROL, Kelleher, MOR.
Tracy, Hanan, Clarkson, Dunne, SOB, HOS, Hawkshaw, TOB
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

probably too risky but anyone else like to see Frawley at 15 and TOB or Hawkshaw at 12? :lol:
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I think this selection needs to be viewed in the context of the Ulster match six days later.
Experience will be important against Ulster and I expect that Toner and Fardy will play in the Kingspan, so they may get a run out on Sunday. Internationals and injuries mean that once again, the squad will really be tested. For example, we’re missing our seven best back row options. I don’t see Josh Murphy as a no. 8 and would blood Soroka (Conan will be back for Ulster). Bent returning will be a big plus, he has been immense this season, particularly in the scrum. I’d like to see Frawley at 12 and really want to see Luke and Harry control the game. Unfortunately, I don’t think MOR is good enough (at this point) at 15 and would be happier to see D Kearney or C Kelleher there with T O’Brien on the wing.
With so many players missing, the next few weeks represent a massive challenge so it’s a great opportunity for the old dogs and young guns to really step up.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

wixfjord wrote: February 21st, 2021, 5:10 pm This is a huge game and we're down to bare bones.

Next two weeks could go a long way to defining our season. Quick turnaround to Ulster also.

I wonder will they bring Soroka in to play 8 or push someone else in there. Josh M would probably be the best shout but don't think he has ever played there.

Dooley, Cronin, Bent, Molony, Toner, Murphy, Penny, Soroka, McGrath, Harry, DK, Frawley, ROL, Kelleher, MOR
I’ve seen Josh M move over to 8 a few times during games, makes sense to start him there and bring Fardy in to play 6. If TOB is available I’d put him on the wing and move Cian to fullback. Other than that I’d go as you suggest with maybe Dan Sheehan on the bench

Maybe

Dooley, Cronin, Bent, Molony, Toner, Fardy, Penny, Murphy, McGrath, Harry, DK, Frawley, ROL, TOB, RK.
Sheehan, Hanan, Clarkson, Dunne, Soroka, HOS, Hawkshaw, MOR
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Jonny tight lips wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:03 am
wixfjord wrote: February 21st, 2021, 5:10 pm This is a huge game and we're down to bare bones.

I’ve seen Josh M move over to 8 a few times during games, makes sense to start him there and bring Fardy in to play 6. If TOB is available I’d put him on the wing and move Cian to fullback. Other than that I’d go as you suggest with maybe Dan Sheehan on the bench

Maybe

Dooley, Cronin, Bent, Molony, Toner, Fardy, Penny, Murphy, McGrath, Harry, DK, Frawley, ROL, TOB, RK.
Why would you drop Max O’Reilly?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

MOR was a bit ropey in his first few games, but was much better at the weekend imo, in tough conditions.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wixfjord wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 9:05 am MOR was a bit ropey in his first few games, but was much better at the weekend imo, in tough conditions.
I thought his first game was what you'd expect from a lad on debut, a bit nervous. Second was better and I too thought he did well last weekend.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

the spoofer wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:17 am
Jonny tight lips wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:03 am

Maybe

Why would you drop Max O’Reilly?
While he ran better just gone, thought he struggled in previous games and TOB has been excellent this year at wing and centre. Max is only 20 and in year one of the academy, his time will come. Next one up after this is a pretty much full strength Ulster away so if we’re going to move things around we should try it out this week.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd leave Max in situ, he was good on Friday, improving every game.
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:20 am I'd leave Max in situ, he was good on Friday, improving every game.
Agreed. He will certainly learn more than playing Cian Kelleher out of position.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Dave Cahill wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:20 am I'd leave Max in situ, he was good on Friday, improving every game.
The quality of the opposition was decreasing every game too in fairness, it will start going the other way from this week
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

the spoofer wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:53 am
Agreed. He will certainly learn more than playing Cian Kelleher out of position.
Cian has plenty of experience at 15, it’s not about Max not playing well, just think getting TOB onto the pitch would be better
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Jonny tight lips wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:15 am
Cian has plenty of experience at 15, it’s not about Max not playing well, just think getting TOB onto the pitch would be better
I'd like to see Byrne Jnr at 10, Frawley 12 and TOB at 13.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

the spoofer wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:24 am
Jonny tight lips wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:15 am

I'd like to see Byrne Jnr at 10, Frawley 12 and TOB at 13.
ROL would be unlucky to miss out. Your initial suggestion would run well too. I’m just a big TOB fan and would love to get him in the pitch if possible.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jonny tight lips wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:11 am
The quality of the opposition was decreasing every game too in fairness, it will start going the other way from this week
Even more reason to retain him so.

I'd start TOB in the centre, either spot.
I have Bumbleflex