Time for the black card to be introduced??

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Time for the black card to be introduced??

Post by Theleinsterlad »

I get the fact that since the legal case has been launched by ex rugby stars around concussion, world rugby has had to be seen to be stamping our head contact totally from the game, however the results are meaning that games are being decided by who is unlucky enough to come into contact with players in the ruck as opposed to who the better team is. I have no defence for most of the reds that have been given out over the past number of weeks (especially when I was repulsed to see no red given to wood when he nearly kills VDF in our euro game). I do though think that there is now a need to change the type of card given and where a head contact occurs like this the result should be a sending off for the player involved but an allowance for a replacement to be brought in in his stead after 10 mins bin time. Surely this is better than seeing what’s happening at the moment.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Time for the black card to be introduced??

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Definitely not. Unless the sanction is severe, players won't change their behaviour. When Ulster lost a player (Payne I think) in a European q/f for a mid-air challenge / tackle, it took about 18 months before players learned to change their behaviour and making the game safer. That was the first time that refereeing behaviour changed player behaviour for sefety reasons in the modern game.

If refs continue on the current course, the leading shoulder clear-out will be gone by the end of this season and that will certainly improve safety. Personally, I would extend it to include clear-outs of the sort which injure a player, like that which maimed Leavy in a game against Ulster.

Penalising players who attack a breakdown / pile-up dangerously is a great move and despite the impact on the matches it's the right move.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 21st, 2021, 6:59 amThat was the first time that refereeing behaviour changed player behaviour for sefety reasons in the modern game.
Rolland with the red for Warburton in RWC?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Given the red card in today's AB v Aus match (clear red in my book, studs up is reckless and if it makes contact with the head doubly so.), my thoughts on the 20min red is that it reduces the impact on the penalised team and doesn't discourage foul/reckless play enough. Hopefully the law trial is not carried forward.
Anyone But New Zealand