Tighthead Prop going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Tighthead Prop going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

OneLungDavy wrote: January 9th, 2021, 6:55 pm Sam Illo(U20/Wesley/Old Wesley)
Ben Griffin(U20/Castleknock/DUFC)
Shane Connolly(U20/Roscrea/UCD)
Ben Popplewell(U19/Wexford RFC/Lansdowne)
Rory McGuire(U19/Blackrock)
George Hadden(U18/Gorey RFC)

You think Illo or Griffin will start for the Ireland u20s this year? Any wonder-kids here?
Added Connolly to list.. I think they could start a game, if games happen, but doubt any will be clear 1st choice out the gate.. battle for bench TH between those 3.

McGuire/Hadden are both very good prospects, both are still in school so will be awhile before they push through.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster underage tighthead props playing pro rugby:

Jamie Hagan(33/Balbriggan) - Beziers
Marty Moore(29/Castleknock-Lansdowne) - starting(Ulster)
Tadhg Furlong(28/New Ross-Clontarf) - irish squad(Leinster)
Oisin Heffernan(26/Roscrea-Terenure) - Northampton
Oliver Jager(25/Blackrock) - Crusaders
Andrew Porter(25/Andrews-UCD) - irish squad(Leinster)
Vakh Abdaladze(25/Coolmine-Clontarf) - injured(Leinster)
Greg McGrath(23/Wexford-Lansdowne) - bench(Leinster)
Jack Aungier(22/Suttonians-Clontarf) - bench(Connacht)
Tom Clarkson(20/Blackrock-DUFC) - starting(Leinster)
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 19th, 2021, 5:17 pm Leinster underage tighthead props playing pro rugby:

Jamie Hagan(33/Balbriggan) - Beziers
Marty Moore(29/Castleknock-Lansdowne) - starting(Ulster)
Tadhg Furlong(28/New Ross-Clontarf) - irish squad(Leinster)
Oisin Heffernan(26/Roscrea-Terenure) - Northampton
Oliver Jager(25/Blackrock) - Crusaders
Andrew Porter(25/Andrews-UCD) - irish squad(Leinster)
Vakh Abdaladze(25/Coolmine-Clontarf) - injured(Leinster)
Greg McGrath(23/Wexford-Lansdowne) - bench(Leinster)
Jack Aungier(22/Suttonians-Clontarf) - bench(Connacht)
Tom Clarkson(20/Blackrock-DUFC) - starting(Leinster)
Good list and an impressive conveyor belt. I’m still p1ssed off at the loss of both Aungier and Salanoa at the same time.
A THP playing pro1X rugby at 20 is impressive so I’m really excited about Clarksons potential.
Vakh has been really unlucky with injuries, I really hope he gets back to full fitness and manages a run of games.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Ruaidhri O'Connor reporting that we are interested in Isi Tu'ungafasi [source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 21376.html ].
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Would be an interesting move.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

I really wish this idea of multi skilling Porter would die. He's coming into his own as a destructive and powerful tighthead, worth his weight in gold, who on form could be picked for the Lions and maybe even a test starter. For him to reach this height it's taken him getting an opportunity to be the number one TH for Leinster and Ireland while Furlong was out injured. The experience and game time gained has elevated him to this level. If he has to divide this between LH and TH it will diminish him at both.

Having a multi position prop isn't something that is needed anymore unless they go back to 7 man benches. If we want him as a LH, have him exclusively so.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 7:29 am Ruaidhri O'Connor reporting that we are interested in Isi Tu'ungafasi [source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 21376.html ].
Wow that would be an interesting one. Signing a 19 stone Islander TH would certainly add a bit of power.

Sounds like it's contingent on Porter switching to LH.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

The Nucifora effect.

Would be a good signing. So silly it was made necessary.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

The big losers would be Dooley (who could easily be an international, imo) and Milne if Porter was shifted back across. I suppose Leinster don't have much option if Ireland want it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I see Gomes Sa being mentioned in that article too, that would've been a strange signing (albeit a very good one!)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Is this necessary? We have - excluding Bent - Porter, Furlong, Clarkson, Abdaladze, plus McGrath

Is switching Porter to loosehead either necessary or a good idea? We have - excluding Healy - Byrne, Dooley, Milne and Hannon, and one of the reasons he switched to tighthead was because he wasn't actually all that good at loosehead - both Byrne and Dooley were superior and I can't imagine that spending 4 years playing A DIFFERENT POSITION will have improved him much

Cui Bono?

If we have a foreign player slot available and a budget for one, then why aren't we signing a utility back? Far more necessary.

This risks turning the current Andrew Porter into the next Jamie Hagan.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I assume they're doing the maths that:

Bent may finish up.
Porter may move to LH.
Furlong will barely play for us.
Vakh may not return.
Clarkson is 21.
McGrath probably doesn't have a future at this level.

It's also probably an attempt to get some islander power into the side.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:21 am Is this necessary? We have - excluding Bent - Porter, Furlong, Clarkson, Abdaladze, plus McGrath

Is switching Porter to loosehead either necessary or a good idea? We have - excluding Healy - Byrne, Dooley, Milne and Hannon, and one of the reasons he switched to tighthead was because he wasn't actually all that good at loosehead - both Byrne and Dooley were superior and I can't imagine that spending 4 years playing A DIFFERENT POSITION will have improved him much

Cui Bono?

If we have a foreign player slot available and a budget for one, then why aren't we signing a utility back? Far more necessary.

I really can't see how you have come to the conclusion the Porter isn't all that good at loosehead? He switched over because Fogarty & Cullen believed they were well stocked at LH with Healy, McGrath, Dooley & Byrne in the squad. Neither Dooley or Byrne have progressed to the degree Leinster have wanted which makes the idea of moving Porter back very attractive. Porter already has 34 Irish caps which shows he miles ahead of wherever Hagan was.

What I question is are they signing an NIQ TH so that he's around all the time? If not then why not target Oli Jager who is the same age and is IQ?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

erskinechilders wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:26 am
Dave Cahill wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:21 am Is this necessary? We have - excluding Bent - Porter, Furlong, Clarkson, Abdaladze, plus McGrath

Cui Bono?

I really can't see how you have come to the conclusion the Porter isn't all that good at loosehead? He switched over because Fogarty & Cullen believed they were well stocked at LH with Healy, McGrath, Dooley & Byrne in the squad. Neither Dooley or Byrne have progressed to the degree Leinster have wanted which makes the idea of moving Porter back very attractive. Porter already has 34 Irish caps which shows he miles ahead of wherever Hagan was.

What I question is are they signing an NIQ TH so that he's around all the time? If not then why not target Oli Jager who is the same age and is IQ?
Jager has turned down offers to return before and signed a new contract with the crusaders recently.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I really can't see how you have come to the conclusion the Porter isn't all that good at loosehead?
By watching him play at loosehead. Where he wasn't as good as Dooley or Byrne. And by his own admission wasn't enjoying his rugby.

I don't think it's accurate to say that Byrne and Dooley haven't progressed. Dooley has over 80 caps, and Ed Byrne, despite missing over two years with his knee injuries has over 60 and is an international - and thats despite them being in a pool with Cian Healy (Irelands greatest ever prop IMO), Jack McGrath, each other and, in terms of the national team, Kilcoyne.

And, as you say, he's miles ahead of where Hagan was, so why mess with it. Theres a definite whiff of Summer Bay about all this.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 12:06 pm
I really can't see how you have come to the conclusion the Porter isn't all that good at loosehead?
By watching him play at loosehead. Where he wasn't as good as Dooley or Byrne. And by his own admission wasn't enjoying his rugby.

I don't think it's accurate to say that Byrne and Dooley haven't progressed. Dooley has over 80 caps, and Ed Byrne, despite missing over two years with his knee injuries has over 60 and is an international - and thats despite them being in a pool with Cian Healy (Irelands greatest ever prop IMO), Jack McGrath, each other and, in terms of the national team, Kilcoyne.

And, as you say, he's miles ahead of where Hagan was, so why mess with it. Theres a definite whiff of Summer Bay about all this.
ROC floating fiction?

I do admit i'd be surprised to see leinster signing someone from abroad given the tightening budget.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Signing NIQ players doesn’t always mean we’re splashing out — I’ve no idea what Fardy would earn but I’d imagine that there’s more of an element of risk signing this lad versus a well established full international player, and the salary would likely reflect that.

Money saved from a comparative point of view and we’re also likely losing a couple more players who will not be replaced.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Serb wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 12:55 pm Signing NIQ players doesn’t always mean we’re splashing out — I’ve no idea what Fardy would earn but I’d imagine that there’s more of an element of risk signing this lad versus a well established full international player, and the salary would likely reflect that.

Money saved from a comparative point of view and we’re also likely losing a couple more players who will not be replaced.
they'll be replaced by academy players.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Sure, but those academy players are already on the books.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Might also be a bit of horse trading with the IRFU - if you move Porter to LH you can sign a new NIQ TH.