Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by ronk »

I see starting Healy. It’s putting JJ on the bench that I wonder about.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Just saw the interview with Healy.

When asked about Glasgow he gave it lots of 'I am concentrating on here and now.'

No commitment to staying at Munster. Could be a negotiating tactic but does not sound convincing.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Munster players celebrating like they won the Cup.

They just robbed Treviso of a win.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Funny old thing sport, JJ goes from zero to hero in the space of a week, redemption gained.

I have Bumbleflex
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

IanD wrote: January 30th, 2021, 6:51 pm Munster players celebrating like they won the Cup.

They just robbed Treviso of a win.
that was truly shocking stuff from munster. they seem to be getting ahead of themselves. decent win against (or was it a poor second half from) clermont and almost gave us a fright in thomond last week.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

That, Munster supporters, is what an undeserving team winning looks like. Treviso were clearly dominant and very unfortunate not to score at least two more tries. Well done to JJ.

Some lovely play by Benneton
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote: January 31st, 2021, 2:38 pm That, Munster supporters, is what an undeserving team winning looks like. Treviso were clearly dominant and very unfortunate not to score at least two more tries. Well done to JJ.

Some lovely play by Benneton
Munster were pulling away and could have finished Treviso off with the yellow card. Instead they let them back into it and were lucky to scrape the game. Fair play to JJ. Match winning drop goals are rare. Treviso must be kicking themselves that they gave up a soft penalty in possession with 45 seconds left and Munster got out of jail. You only get so many chances against heavy favourites.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

One step forward, one step back. It's like groundhog day being a munster fan. 😂

The players seem to be going back to bad habits again lately. At the start of the season it was all pop passes, forwards passing pre contact, heads up etc. Now it's the old heads down, one out runners, bad decision making.

Not sure JVG is the right man either. What was it, 60+ min and 70+ min without scoring against Leinsters in the last 2 games. He was talking about incidents, if only this happened, we were unlucky there etc. He talks a good game anyway, I'll give him that.

To end on a more positive note, my first sentence wasn't entirely accurate. It's one step and one inch forward, one step back. Progress is being made, slowly. Liam Coombes looks a good athlete too.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It’s been a disruptive season for everyone. Blowing hot and cold is to be expected.

Leinster saw the same thing with injuries and a lot of movement into national camp.

Even so Munster and Leinster are managing better than most. At least Munster don’t have 2 training camps anymore.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

That truly was a shocking performance from Munster, and one where they will be very glad to have taken 4 points from.

After 10 mins I expected Munster to push on and put up a massive score on the board, but sadly it was not to be.

For this not only do Munster need a kick up the backside, but I also think that Treviso deserve massive credit.
Treviso looked like they were playing a cup final with the intensity they brought to the game, and if they could play like that regularly then they would surely take a fair few scalps.

On the face of it, with the benefit of hindsight it would appear that Munster made too many changes, and took their foot off of the pedal far too early.

I am delighted for JJ, that was by no means an easy kick, and to have the balls to take it on after the week he would have put down is a great reflection of his character.

On a positive Munster are 15 points clear with 5 games to go, with this win putting them one step closer to that elusive final.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Good to hear that Munster have started to nail down players contracts with the 2 Scannells. JOD, Daly and Nash signing 2 year contracts along with L Coombes and McHenry agreeing to a 1 year deal

Also hearing rumours that Earls is about to sign a 1 year IRFU contract, with Stander and POM still in negotiation for 2 year contracts.

With the list including 4 back 3 players, I would assume that this means that Wooten will not be retiring to Munster following his loan to Connacht which is a shame IMO, as I believe that he is a very exciting player.

Additionally Joey is getting close to a return, so hopefully we see him return to action before seasons end.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Hard to see the value of a 2 year contact for POM, with the line out now firing a lot better with POC onboard what else does he bring that others don’t?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 19th, 2021, 9:48 am Hard to see the value of a 2 year contact for POM, with the line out now firing a lot better with POC onboard what else does he bring that others don’t?
This is one of those, what 'we pay our taxes for' moments and I'm delighted for Munster, because I don't think they'd be in a position to retain him directly. There is a cultural movement afoot down there and he is the spear-tip of it, it would have been a huge set back to lose him and I think the effects of that would damage Irish rugby as much as anything else.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 19th, 2021, 9:48 am Hard to see the value of a 2 year contact for POM, with the line out now firing a lot better with POC onboard what else does he bring that others don’t?
Right now he is considered as a starting international when available, so it is hardly a surprise to see him get a central contract, as the people selecting him to start are the same ones deciding on who gets contracts.

Whether a 2 year contract is the right move or not may come into question, but at 31, at 2 year contract seems more than fair given that he will only be 33/34 at the time of his contract expiration.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:34 am
Right now he is considered as a starting international when available, so it is hardly a surprise to see him get a central contract, as the people selecting him to start are the same ones deciding on who gets contracts.

Whether a 2 year contract is the right move or not may come into question, but at 31, at 2 year contract seems more than fair given that he will only be 33/34 at the time of his contract expiration.
Fair enough, doesn’t really explain what he brings to the table though...
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:11 am
This is one of those, what 'we pay our taxes for' moments and I'm delighted for Munster, because I don't think they'd be in a position to retain him directly. There is a cultural movement afoot down there and he is the spear-tip of it, it would have been a huge set back to lose him and I think the effects of that would damage Irish rugby as much as anything else.
I get the hearts and minds reasoning, but in fairness would they not say exactly the same thing about Keef and CJ?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 19th, 2021, 11:20 am

Without trying to sound condescending, In your opinion and some others on here POM has never been an international standard player, but his number of caps (74) and the fact that he was selected to captain the lions, would suggest that people who know a lot more about the game than you or I are of the opinion that he is an international standard player.

I am not trying to change your opinion as I suspect that would be a futile exercise, just providing you with an alternative view.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: February 19th, 2021, 11:33 am

Without trying to sound condescending, In your opinion and some others on here POM has never been an international standard player, but his number of caps (74) and the fact that he was selected to captain the lions, would suggest that people who know a lot more about the game than you or I are of the opinion that he is an international standard player.

I am not trying to change your opinion as I suspect that would be a futile exercise, just providing you with an alternative view.
So at the risk of asking the question again. Given that the Irish line out is now functioning at a much higher level, what does POM offer that others don’t?

It’s fine if you can’t offer anything tangible
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 19th, 2021, 11:45 am

So at the risk of asking the question again. Given that the Irish line out is now functioning at a much higher level, what does POM offer that others don’t?

I am a big fan of Pete, and he would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.
I could give my opinion of what he brings to the table that others don’t, but from my experience that would not be well received on here, and I will be quickly told to take my opinion elsewhere.

so instead I will further highlight that the paid professional who continually select him and offer him a contract over other options believe that he is one of the best backrow players in the country, this is the only proof of his credentials that is required.

Pete will finish his career as one of the top capped Irish backrow player (with 74 caps at 31 he already is) along with joining a short list of Irish men who captained the Lions into a test match yet will still be considered a poor player by a vocal minority.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: February 19th, 2021, 12:12 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 19th, 2021, 11:45 am

I am a big fan of Pete, and he would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.
I could give my opinion of what he brings to the table that others don’t, but from my experience that would not be well received on here, and I will be quickly told to take my opinion elsewhere.

so instead I will further highlight that the paid professional who continually select him and offer him a contract over other options believe that he is one of the best backrow players in the country, this is the only proof of his credentials that is required.

Pete will finish his career as one of the top capped Irish backrow player (with 74 caps at 31 he already is) along with joining a short list of Irish men who captained the Lions into a test match yet will still be considered a poor player by a vocal minority.
Ah cmon, don’t let the reception of your views stop you sharing your opinion.

What does he bring to the table that others don’t apart from his admittedly good defensive line out (which may no longer be required)