Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
johng
Devin Toner
Posts: 18410
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by johng »

I'll check that out.

On a totally different note. Also late to the party. Sneaky Pete on amazon prime (or your local torrent site) is very entertaining. In season 2 atm.

User avatar
ronk
Leo Cullen
Posts: 10784
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by ronk »

Does Wandavision get any better?

User avatar
Laighin Break
Mullet
Posts: 1159
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Laighin Break »

ronk wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 7:37 pm
Does Wandavision get any better?
How far into it are you? I watched the first episode last night as it seems to be popular with good reviews - it was amusing in a clearly taking the piss way but you certainly couldn't watch a whole season like that. In the trailer I saw it at least moved to being in colour so I expect it to change. Very brave pilot to release as it could easily turn plenty of people off it.

User avatar
Avenger
Brian O'Driscoll
Posts: 3446
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 3:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Avenger »

Laighin Break wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 9:44 am
ronk wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 7:37 pm
Does Wandavision get any better?
How far into it are you? I watched the first episode last night as it seems to be popular with good reviews - it was amusing in a clearly taking the piss way but you certainly couldn't watch a whole season like that. In the trailer I saw it at least moved to being in colour so I expect it to change. Very brave pilot to release as it could easily turn plenty of people off it.
I've seen 5 episodes... each one seems to move them along a decade or so at a time... it does start moving in and out of the bubble that Wanda has created so it isn't all the TV show sitcom sort of thing.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

User avatar
domhnallj
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2809
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by domhnallj »

I am enjoying Wire in the blood at the moment. Not sure how I missed it first time around. I thought ZeroZeroZero was entertaining but not at the level of Gomorah. Also getting through Preacher, Pickard and the Expanse all of which I watch after beer has been taken so not sure how they are panning out.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation

User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2530
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 10:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

My current guilty pleasure is Snow Piercer. It’s a bit preachy but It’s a decent enough premise and a good enough auld yarn and there are some very good performances in there to boot.

User avatar
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney
Posts: 9578
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 5:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia
Contact:

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Peg Leg »

JB1973 wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 9:58 am
Twist wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 10:03 am
Did anyone watch It's A Sin on Channel 4? Its available on Sky via Catch Up.

I thought it was excellent. It's about a group of gay friends living in London at the outbreak of the AIDS epidemic. Not having been there, I can only guess but it feels quite authentic. It does a great job of the initial refusal/reluctance to believe the stories about AIDS (or GRID as it was known first) and how that was slowly overcome by the reality of seeing so many young men die. Also the homophobia and genuine fear in the response of the state and the broader community.

It doesn't shy away from the role that recklessness and occasionally selfishness played in helping the disease spread, which I thought was brave.

One thing I didn't like was that Russell T Davies (the series' creator) said he'd only cast gay actors to play gay characters.

"He said: "I'm not being woke about this... but I feel strongly that if I cast someone in a story, I am casting them to act as a lover, or an enemy, or someone on drugs or a criminal or a saint... they are NOT there to 'act gay' because 'acting gay' is a bunch of codes for a performance.

"It's about authenticity, the taste of 2020." https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 58971.html

I disagree. He is being woke, with all the shallowness and one-sidedness that connotes.

Obviously this is a new rule of his, which he didn't follow for Queer As Folk. I think it's self-defeating, and pretty obviously discriminatory. When someone applies for a job, including an acting job, you can't tell them that whether or not they get it depends on their sexuality.

The obvious corollary is using the same logic not to cast gay actors in straight roles, and I thought we had moved past that. We've had an English Éamonn de Valera, non-Jewish Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List, Daniel Day Lewis doesn't have cereberal palsy, Tom Cruise wasn't paralysed in Vietnam.....its called 'acting' for a reason.

And which roles will be open to the bisexuals??

Great show, the sound track is superb , late to the party but Vikings is well worth a watch
Finale tonight was superb
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan

User avatar
Laighin Break
Mullet
Posts: 1159
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 11:28 am
My current guilty pleasure is Snow Piercer. It’s a bit preachy but It’s a decent enough premise and a good enough auld yarn and there are some very good performances in there to boot.
If you haven't seen the film you definitely should.
I haven't seen the show though, so don't know if watching the film it would ruin the storyline in the show

Post Reply