mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by mildlyinterested »

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 26th, 2021, 8:43 am https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4467658

sweet heaven
he's starting to sound like one hand clapping at this stage
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 26th, 2021, 8:43 am https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4467658

sweet heaven
He has no shame. Brace awarded their try even though he was in a horrible position to do so and the correct question would have resulted in a scrum 5.

Munster had a blatantly crooked throw also, they just didn't score off it as it was past the 13 minute mark! Thornley is like a player hanging on for another season when the legs are gone.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

desperado wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:51 pm https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4466608

Haven't read his drivel in a long time; now I know why. Mute point!
Murray K (and I'll forgive him his bias on Saturday) is the only decent rugby journalist left in this country.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

the spoofer wrote: January 26th, 2021, 9:41 am Murray K (and I'll forgive him his bias on Saturday) is the only decent rugby journalist left in this country.
100%
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

More perturbed by Cummiskey seeming to dismiss the need for any protocols to be followed, be it in relation to Covid or concussion than anything said on rugby selection.

Also, Thornley reuses to be repeating one of his usual sticks whenever Ireland play with Munster. If they have a low penalty count; he mentions this full of praise for their discipline and skill, but should they be involved in a tight game with a similar or unfavorable penalty count, he will bemoan the officials being biased against them.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Just wait for Gerry to whip out big brother Paulie and his pack-covering blanket. Le sigh
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4478365

When he isn't starting 10 for the Lions some journalists will have their books ready to go already.

He was not good on Saturday. At best he was in the lower half of performances for his team.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

fourthirtythree wrote: February 8th, 2021, 1:13 pm https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4478365

When he isn't starting 10 for the Lions some journalists will have their books ready to go already.

He was not good on Saturday. At best he was in the lower half of performances for his team.
Agreed!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

fourthirtythree wrote: February 8th, 2021, 1:13 pm https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4478365

As Dave Cahill pointed out so eloquently on Saturday: Finn Russell is schrodingers out half - he can simultaneously win and lose a game for his team. Usually lose it must be said
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I agree that he played badly but some of his passing to get outside the first few English defenders was exceptional and the constant threat he poses by being able to do something magic out of nowhere really holds the defence, so even when he's playing poorly or just making a simple pass he does still have an impact.

I think there's a lesson we can learn that it's okay to make mistakes if the overall impact is worth it.

That said, if I was his coach and he tried that drop goal then I'd kill him :lol: It's funny how himself and Gareth Davies both had massive brain farts but they'll be largely forgotten about because of the results, whereas some of our lads are being berated for lesser offences.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: February 8th, 2021, 4:19 pm I agree that he played badly but some of his passing to get outside the first few English defenders was exceptional and the constant threat he poses by being able to do something magic out of nowhere really holds the defence, so even when he's playing poorly or just making a simple pass he does still have an impact.

I think there's a lesson we can learn that it's okay to make mistakes if the overall impact is worth it.

That said, if I was his coach and he tried that drop goal then I'd kill him :lol: It's funny how himself and Gareth Davies both had massive brain farts but they'll be largely forgotten about because of the results, whereas some of our lads are being berated for lesser offences.
I love when he plays against teams that I support (except last Saturday). Scotland won despite Russell cause they seem to have discovered a pack that can go toe to toe with the others in the 6N. Russell was awful, again.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Really disagree that you can just dismiss his whole performance like that. Think of the difference to England’s defence when they’re facing someone like Russell compared to a player like Ross Byrne. The errors don’t tell the full story by any means.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: February 8th, 2021, 4:19 pm I agree that he played badly but some of his passing to get outside the first few English defenders was exceptional and the constant threat he poses by being able to do something magic out of nowhere really holds the defence, so even when he's playing poorly or just making a simple pass he does still have an impact.

some of his passing to .....

To be fair on him he did pass just over twice as often as he turned the ball over to the opposition so he's definitely in credit there.. I just thought Kitson's article was genuinely laughable hyperbole. He was more bad than good but Robert calls him the wizard weaving magic spells rather than giving credu where it was due, to Hogg, who dug Russell out of holes of his own making.

I enjoy watching him play and he's no doubt appreciated in Scotland where they have a much better back three than us possibly better able to take advantag of his off the cuff plays.

But they don't half talk a load of shite about him in the papers. There was a strong whiff of cordite about that piece.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I have a theory.

I think journalists and pundits paint a picture and then have to back it up rather than prove themselves wrong.

Hogg and Russell are prime examples. People have for a couple of years called both of them World Class and even last year were calling for both to start for the Lions.

Hogg untill Saturday usually makes a major mistake each match that causes his team massive problems/scores. It was mentioned on ITV as 'he has turned a corner' moment instead of 'he always makes a mistake moment'.

For me Russell has never controlled a game for 80 minutes. Even with Racing in matches they dominate he drifts in and out of games. I don't believe for one second he will start for the Lions ahead of Farrell or Ford. But the press have said he is great and have to keep going.

Outside of Rugby the Irish soccer journalists were harping on about Stephen Kenny while he was in charge of Dundalk. He was the Messiah. He was destined for glory. His philosophy and style of play were preached
far and wide. They wrote such glowing reports about him they forced Mccarthy out early and got their man.

And results have been shite. But to call for his head would mean saying I as an individual and we as a group of journalists got it wrong. Won't happen.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: February 8th, 2021, 5:07 pm Really disagree that you can just dismiss his whole performance like that. Think of the difference to England’s defence when they’re facing someone like Russell compared to a player like Ross Byrne. The errors don’t tell the full story by any means.
I wouldnt't have him at Leinster if he played for free.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer wrote: February 9th, 2021, 10:32 am
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: February 8th, 2021, 5:07 pm Really disagree that you can just dismiss his whole performance like that. Think of the difference to England’s defence when they’re facing someone like Russell compared to a player like Ross Byrne. The errors don’t tell the full story by any means.
I wouldnt't have him at Leinster if he played for free.
Me either. Guy's a messer, IMO.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

+ 50%

On the drop goal, the idea was good, > 7pts margin = England 0.
His passing, inside and outside, puts people in space. Ask Redpath & Jamie Richie
Jones double teamed him and Scottish backrow capitalised.

His kicking, a car crash.
The pass from the sub No 9 was cr@p, he should have abandoned.
I hope Scotland keep him for game v Ireland
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/021 ... eyor-belt/

Donal Lenihan making a pitch to change the Provincial domination by Leinster? Or is he just filling space?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Its the theme for the coming weekend.
France young guns already established internationals whilst our lot are stuck in Pro14 purgatory.
"Send them away (before they've even been capped)."
Oh wait.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!