Leinster Squad 20-21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster Squad 20-21

Post by erskinechilders »

How many head injuries/ concussions has he had? I remember he went off inside 5 minutes of his Ireland debut but after that I don't remember many.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

2 last season anyway.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Johnny Sexton closing in on Leinster and Ireland deal until 2023

"Hopefully I'll have something sorted in the next few weeks."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/johnny-s ... ons-223921
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

2 years is sorta surprising. even thought it shouldnt be.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 4:46 pm Johnny Sexton closing in on Leinster and Ireland deal until 2023

No. No. No. Surely not. 1 year only and review at the end of 2021/2 season, based on his questionable physical durability and advancing time.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

May be two year deal with heavyweight (and confidential) medical / fitness review clause twice per season by medics or S&C personnel of IRFU choice. It wouldn't be the first of it's kind.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

LeinsterLeader wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 4:46 pm Johnny Sexton closing in on Leinster and Ireland deal until 2023

IIRC, O'Gara got a similar deal at a similar age and it ended badly for all parties.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Very odd decision if true.
Especially given the IRFU’s current financial position and JS’ injury profile.

From a Leinster point of view this will likely mean that JS will be picked for all of the big games, which means that the Byrne brothers will have to bide their time to claim the 10 jersey.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

munster#1 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:15 pm Very odd decision if true.

From a Leinster point of view this will likely mean that JS will be picked for all of the big games, which means that the Byrne brothers will have to bide their time to claim the 10 jersey.
Ross Byrne has been picked for plenty of big games in recent seasons and generally won them, but i'm sure you remember that.

And if Leinster are going to win the league this year it will be because of Harry.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:18 pm
munster#1 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:15 pm Very odd decision if true.

Ross Byrne has been picked for plenty of big games in recent seasons and generally won them, but i'm sure you remember that.

And if Leinster are going to win the league this year it will be because of Harry.
Ok, my bad I should have been clearer.

When fit, you would have to suspect that as a centrally contracted player, and as a player who looks to be identified as the 10 to lead us to the RWC, that when fit JS will start, but I’m sure you already understood that.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I better tell Ross Byrne he didn't start last seasons pro14 final over a fit Sexton.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 2:29 pm I better tell Ross Byrne he didn't start last seasons pro14 final over a fit Sexton.
shots fired .... 8)
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

joooooe wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 9:32 am

IIRC, O'Gara got a similar deal at a similar age and it ended badly for all parties.
Persist with Sexton until he's obviously too out of form/too injured then hang wring about experience gulf behind him and who could've predicted he wouldn't be in peak form/condition by RWC23.

Rinse and repeat.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Morf wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 4:08 pm
joooooe wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 9:32 am

Persist with Sexton until he's obviously too out of form/too injured then hang wring about experience gulf behind him and who could've predicted he wouldn't be in peak form/condition by RWC23.

Rinse and repeat.
Sad but true.
The only real hope, and this is not something that I am wishing on Sexton, would be that he is injured for long enough periods for an alternative to get meaningful gametime, or his gametime is heavily managed to the stage where an alternative gets meaningful gametime.

The problem right now is that there is no readily available long term alternative.

Of the other outhalves available none of them are ready to fill the void.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

alanair wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 3:10 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 2:29 pm I better tell Ross Byrne he didn't start last seasons pro14 final over a fit Sexton.
shots fired .... 8)
Edited to avoid a he said she said conversation.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

If Sexton's stellar career ends as pathetically as RO'G's and/or Mike Gibson's, Philip Browne and David Nucifora should be fired. Decade follows decade and the IRFU seems incapable of learning from its mistakes.....
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Strange and disappointing attitude from some on here.

He’s a legend and it’s not like there’s even a selection controversy right now. If the IRFU think he’s worth a punt only 2 years out from a World Cup and he’s up for it then it’s all good.

Ross Byrne is Ross Byrne. He’s better off without the scrutiny. He’ll be as ready with Sexton there as without. Harry Byrne is better off without the pressure and attention. Carbery would be one for the rivalry but he’s a bigger risk than Sexton. Carty and Burns will be learning off Sexton in Ireland camp.

If Sexton is still the guy in 2 years then great. If he’s not someone else will be. It won’t be like Kidney and ROG circling the drain together.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

ronk wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 8:24 pm Strange and disappointing attitude from some on here.

He’s a legend and it’s not like there’s even a selection controversy right now. If the IRFU think he’s worth a punt only 2 years out from a World Cup and he’s up for it then it’s all good.

Ross Byrne is Ross Byrne. He’s better off without the scrutiny. He’ll be as ready with Sexton there as without. Harry Byrne is better off without the pressure and attention. Carbery would be one for the rivalry but he’s a bigger risk than Sexton. Carty and Burns will be learning off Sexton in Ireland camp.

If Sexton is still the guy in 2 years then great. If he’s not someone else will be. It won’t be like Kidney and ROG circling the drain together.
Sorry, I respect your posts most of the time, but this is delusional.

In the interests of both teams, every opportunity, within reason, needs to be taken to ramp up the minutes of next generation contenders at both national and club levels. BOD had the Captaincy removed from him as his powers waned.

Leaving Johnny as Captain of both teams this year makes no sense and is indicative of who wears the trousers. I have no doubt that Farrell and Leo would be worried at how he would react if either captaincy role was moved on for the benefit of either team. He has too big a role on and off the field and it is particularly not in Ireland's interest that he is allowed to die with his boots on.

Yes, he is the best since Kyle (I am basing that on reputation, especially the regard he was held in NZ) and still the best 10 in Ireland, but only for as long as he can block Harry's access, or for as long as it takes for Joey to get back up to speed.

Irish rugby's need is more important than any one player's goals - even those of a legend.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Party of the reason Sexton stayed captain is lack of a ready replacement. He's an experienced voice replacing a very experienced Rory Best.

BOD had POC looking for his chance too. BOD was given the jersey anytime he wanted it until he quit, then he was replaced. The priority was milking his contribution to the team.

We have rotationing situations behind Murray and it won't be clear probably until he's deposed what the pecking order is. You could ditch him to give Casey a run at the RWC. Or you could do it after the RWC unless he bolts.

Harry Byrne has more space at his current level and can build as he comes up against better defences. Is international the right thing for him right now, im not sure. Ross Byrne is a better player right now.

With a cloud over Carbery, trying to get Sexton to the RWC is a sensible strategy. If he fades, others will take over. Most likely he'll take an extended break to get 100% so there'll be plenty of chances for others.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I think that was more down to a looming European QF against Saracens than anything else.