Away to Scarlets, 30/01, Saturday @ 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Away to Scarlets, 30/01, Saturday @ 7.35pm

Post by curates_egg »

Fireworks wrote: February 1st, 2021, 8:16 pm So few kids are ever taught to run properly.
That's because PE in many/most schools in Ireland is more like playtime. In some European curriculums I know, sports is a serious compulsory subject, with very professional sports teachers. I was properly "taught" to run only in 6th year in school, and only because I wanted to learn.

All that said, running with a rugby ball (or similar) is a very peculiar type of running and requires adaptation from how you learn to run. You run with your arms (as silly as that sounds) and upper body. The rhythm and momentum generated from your arms play a crucial role in running, particularly sprinting. So, even if O'Reilly had been taught to run, that doesn't mean he would be able to apply that to running with a rugby ball.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

It was interesting the way Christian Cullen held the ball in one arm almost still doing proper sprint arm action when he was in the open.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

leinsterforever wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 8:55 am It was interesting the way Christian Cullen held the ball in one arm almost still doing proper sprint arm action when he was in the open.
Guys with hands like spades that can grip the ball in one hand can have much less disruption to natural running technique. Unfortunately, most of them are big heavy lumps that can't run fast, due to all the other mechanics. An American football is easier to run with for sure.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

curates_egg wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 7:40 am
Fireworks wrote: February 1st, 2021, 8:16 pm So few kids are ever taught to run properly.
That's because PE in many/most schools in Ireland is more like playtime. In some European curriculums I know, sports is a serious compulsory subject, with very professional sports teachers. I was properly "taught" to run only in 6th year in school, and only because I wanted to learn.

All that said, running with a rugby ball (or similar) is a very peculiar type of running and requires adaptation from how you learn to run. You run with your arms (as silly as that sounds) and upper body. The rhythm and momentum generated from your arms play a crucial role in running, particularly sprinting. So, even if O'Reilly had been taught to run, that doesn't mean he would be able to apply that to running with a rugby ball.
I coach sprints and agree with most of that. School PE is reliant on the motivation of the teacher and ignores the development of fundamental movement skills.

The arms are important and adding a ball complicates matters but I would expect that to be covered. What I saw was over striding and if he had much further to run he may have fallen on his face. There is a video on YouTube of a quarter back who goes the length of the pitch and due to over striding falls on his face with 5m left to go.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

https://youtu.be/0xblJD_3tX4

Daniel Jones of the New York Football Giants.

I think tiredness, over striding and looking over his shoulder ended up making him lose his balance.

Some more experienced runners glance up at stadium screens to see if anyone is behind them.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Fireworks wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 2:53 pm
curates_egg wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 7:40 am

I coach sprints and agree with most of that. School PE is reliant on the motivation of the teacher and ignores the development of fundamental movement skills.

The arms are important and adding a ball complicates matters but I would expect that to be covered. What I saw was over striding and if he had much further to run he may have fallen on his face. There is a video on YouTube of a quarter back who goes the length of the pitch and due to over striding falls on his face with 5m left to go.
Jaysus! What I saw was a year 1 Academy lad, who is physically immature and has been a bit flaky, collect a ball on the 10m, pull off a fabulous step and with good pace, pull away to score a fine individual try.

He was absolutely desperate to make something positive happen (he did kick a beautiful touch finder) as he knew he was getting precious game time and had been mixed to negative up to that point. He was desperate. He overstrided. But it was still an excellent piece of individual skill from a Year 1 Academy player imo.