Heineken Cup 2020/21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Heineken Cup 2020/21

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 13th, 2021, 11:17 am
D4surfer wrote: January 13th, 2021, 11:13 am Who do they have Munster down to play as that club might be our QF opponents.
Munster to be Home to Clermont!
Not sure if that is correct. From todays graudian .

Assuming that ECPR go with the normal top v bottom approach for the knockout stages:

Leinster v Gloucester,
Wasps v Exeter,
Bordeaux-Bègles v Bristol,
La Rochelle v Clermont,
Lyon v Sale,
Racing 92 v Toulon,
Toulouse v Edinburgh
Munster v Scarlets.

The same article mentions that ECPR are also looking at the idea of the quarter finals based on teams playing other teams in their same pool. In that case, Leinster would get Sale.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Alex Sanderson has taken over at Sale.

They'd be a far tougher opponent than Glos I'd say.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: January 15th, 2021, 1:15 pm Alex Sanderson has taken over at Sale.

They'd be a far tougher opponent than Glos I'd say.
He'll be perfectly at home there, a club with an avant garde interpretation of various rules and more South Africans than you can shake a isikhwili at
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: January 13th, 2021, 2:12 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: January 13th, 2021, 11:17 am
D4surfer wrote: January 13th, 2021, 11:13 am Who do they have Munster down to play as that club might be our QF opponents.
Munster to be Home to Clermont!
Not sure if that is correct. From todays graudian .

Assuming that ECPR go with the normal top v bottom approach for the knockout stages:

Leinster v Gloucester,
Wasps v Exeter,
Bordeaux-Bègles v Bristol,
La Rochelle v Clermont,
Lyon v Sale,
Racing 92 v Toulon,
Toulouse v Edinburgh
Munster v Scarlets.

The same article mentions that ECPR are also looking at the idea of the quarter finals based on teams playing other teams in their same pool. In that case, Leinster would get Sale.
That would be an unusually fortunate draw for Munster.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

The format for the next round has been decided

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/2020-21-ch ... ut-format/

I've tried and it has hurt my head but can anyone figure out who are possible opponents might me :D
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on February 24th, 2021, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Following in-depth discussions with its shareholder leagues and unions, EPCR can announce revised tournament formats for the 2020/21 Heineken Champions Cup and Challenge Cup.

Both tournaments will resume with Rounds of 16 matches on the weekend of 2/3/4 April and the knockout stages will continue with quarter-finals, semi-finals and the scheduled Marseille finals on EPCR’s allocated weekends in April and May.

As approved by the EPCR Board, the Rounds of 16 and quarter-final matches in both tournaments will now be decided by draws which will take place on Tuesday, 9 March.

Regarding the Heineken Champions Cup, the eight highest-ranked clubs in Pool A and the eight highest-ranked clubs in Pool B at the time of the suspension of the tournament have qualified for the Round of 16.

For the purposes of the draw, clubs from the same league cannot be drawn against one another, however, clubs from either pool can be drawn against one another.

A further agreed key principle of the Heineken Champions Cup draw will ensure that clubs which have won both pool stage matches on the pitch – i.e. where results were not impacted by COVID-19 – will play at home in the Round of 16. Therefore, Racing 92, Leinster Rugby, Wasps, Bordeaux-Bègles and Munster Rugby will each be guaranteed a home fixture.

The clubs which are not drawn against either Racing 92, Leinster, Wasps, Bordeaux-Bègles or Munster will have their opponents, and whether they will be playing at home or away, determined as part of the draw.

2020/21 KNOCKOUT STAGE QUALIFIERS

Heineken Champions Cup – Racing 92, Leinster Rugby, Wasps, Bordeaux-Bègles, Munster Rugby, Lyon, Toulouse, La Rochelle, Scarlets, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Bristol Bears, Exeter Chiefs, Edinburgh Rugby, Gloucester Rugby, RC Toulon, Sale Sharks

NB Racing 92, Leinster, Wasps, Bordeaux-Bègles and Munster are guaranteed home matches in the Round of 16.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

So basically we'll have a home draw against one of:

Lyon, Toulouse, La Rochelle, Scarlets, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Bristol Bears, Exeter Chiefs, Edinburgh Rugby, Gloucester Rugby, RC Toulon, Sale Sharks.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Can't play anyone from pro 14, so no edinburgh or scarlets.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:11 pm So basically we'll have a home draw against one of:

Lyon, Toulouse, La Rochelle, Scarlets, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Bristol Bears, Exeter Chiefs, Edinburgh Rugby, Gloucester Rugby, RC Toulon, Sale Sharks.
Can't get Edinburgh/Scarlets but outta the rest I'll take Exeter or Toulouse :D

No point in hoping for an easy touch. You're either good enough or you're not
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeinsterLeader wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:23 pm
wixfjord wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:11 pm So basically we'll have a home draw against one of:

:clap:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Ah, that's a cliche to be honest.

Probability matters in tournament rugby. Particularly as we are managing players through the 6 nations, the Champions cup and the Lions. You earn your right to play at home and against weaker teams by your strength. We play Glaws in the next round we go through. We play Toulouse or Exeter who knows. You have a run of Toulouse then Exeter then Racing and to be honest your chances of winning the tournament are pretty low.

Naturally this is a a difficult year but surely the principles of the tournament should be adhered to. i.e. that you earn your pathway.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd love a crack at Bristol!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Flash Gordon wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Ah, that's a cliche to be honest.

Probability matters in tournament rugby. Particularly as we are managing players through the 6 nations, the Champions cup and the Lions. You earn your right to play at home and against weaker teams by your strength. We play Glaws in the next round we go through. We play Toulouse or Exeter who knows. You have a run of Toulouse then Exeter then Racing and to be honest your chances of winning the tournament are pretty low.

Naturally this is a a difficult year but surely the principles of the tournament should be adhered to. i.e. that you earn your pathway.
I suppose it all depends on how you look at it, but another reality is this..... If we go into a game against Glouc as you say we'll probably win and then maybe we face a back to back against Racing/Exeter/Toul without having really played anyone of that caliber all season. That would be a big ask.

Tell you what how about some middle ground..... say La Rochelle or Sale :D
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lyon or Gloucester would be my preference but would not be distraught to get Toulon or Sharks. Certainly don't want Bristol or Exeter or Toulouse or Clermont.

If we were to also win back to backs, do we keep home advantage?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 24th, 2021, 7:49 pm Lyon or Gloucester would be my preference but would not be distraught to get Toulon or Sharks. Certainly don't want Bristol or Exeter or Toulouse or Clermont.

I think there's a gap between Exeter/Toulouse and Bristol/Clermont personally. I'd be very confident at home against the latter two. The former are potential tournament winners though.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Jcahill1
Bookworm

Post by Jcahill1 »

CiaranIrl wrote: February 25th, 2021, 11:51 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: February 24th, 2021, 7:49 pm Lyon or Gloucester would be my preference but would not be distraught to get Toulon or Sharks. Certainly don't want Bristol or Exeter or Toulouse or Clermont.

I think there's a gap between Exeter/Toulouse and Bristol/Clermont personally. I'd be very confident at home against the latter two. The former are potential tournament winners though.
Never confident against Clermont personally :oops:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote: February 25th, 2021, 11:51 am

+1
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Any idea who we may get?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good piece from GT explaining the draw here
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4504499

We'll get a home draw against one of:
Lyon, Toulouse, La Rochelle, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Bristol Bears, Exeter Chiefs, Gloucester Rugby, RC Toulon, Sale Sharks.

I'd take anyone except Toulouse, Exeter or La Rochelle.

The optimum would be Glos, Sale, Lyon or Toulon imo.

The QF draw will be made immediately afterwards too, so we'll know our path to a potential semi final.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Are the Qtrs and semis one off games or home and away matches still?