Leinster v Connacht Sat 2nd 19.35 Eir Sport

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Connacht Sat 2nd 19.35 Eir Sport

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 5th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Telling what happened doesn’t actually tell the story though. You could say someone passed to someone to their right while the omitting that they blew an overlap to the left, and tbf you did literally leave out two things he did on the ball, which were quite important considering it was only in about 20 minutes of rugby.
Yeah sorry. I missed two instances of him being on the ball. Both of which were positive.
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 5th, 2021, 1:30 pm
In a previous post you said about two people commenting about Sexton and that it was confirmation bias, and given that I was one of the two I’m not sure how you would think that I wouldn’t think that would apply to me.
I was referring to Gearzbox2 and Bails who both had a pop at him.

Didn't see your comment. You took that one up wrong.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

We got the first ball back because Carty dropped it, not because we did well. Really don’t see how putting up a ball that only goes just outside the 22 is a good option, that’s just asking for trouble. And hesitating and missing the chance to clear your lines and throwing a pass to a rookie fullback and expecting him to solve the problem is poor play too. Really don’t see how they’re positive bits of play just because we got lucky with the outcomes.

I don’t think you addressed my point about you constantly criticising performances over the last few months. I would suggest that if you think Sexton’s performance was fine then you can’t really complain again in future. If we put up a kick in our 22 on Friday and McIlroy catches it and makes a break then I’d be curious to see if you still think it’s good play.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

As I say I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one LRIP.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

hugonaut wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:05 am
Very interesting Wixfjord, and thanks for spending your time doing that analysis.

From my perspective, Sexton's body language very obviously tends towards the negative on the pitch and this colours a lot of views on him. He shows all his stresses. Other people temper their reactions to show less of their stress, or some people don't feel the same levels of stress.
The cameras love him! Can't but agree with your statement, however his body language does tend to be a very visible signal as to how he feels about his own game as well.
I've been struggling to catch the games live of late (usually 30-40mins behind), but I recall thinking to myself that I would have sent a whatsapp to the like minded about the head on Sexton as an indicator for our performance as the whole team were standing arms on hips watching Carty slot a peno.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Jcahill1
Bookworm

Post by Jcahill1 »

riocard911 wrote: January 5th, 2021, 1:28 pm The shocker for me was the fact, that faced with super aggressive Connacht D and linespeed, which were putting us under massive pressure, we just didn't batten down the hatches, weather the storm, play territory via kicks to touch and let the opposition blow themselves out. No instead we repeatedly ran risky moves out of our own 22 putting ourselves under pressure. I mean, that skip pass which got us into difficulties and led directly to Connacht's third try was mad stuff and essentially cost us the game. Up until them we might have won. Thereafter we had essentially no chance. That we kept digging the hole deeper in the first half, instead of implementing plan B is what disappointed me most.
I agree with this completely. The thing that shocked me was why our experienced pack and scrum half didn't just hold onto the ball. We just would not stop throwing it out to the backs when nothing was on.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

wixfjord wrote: January 4th, 2021, 10:09 pm
As for his 'kick-offs were kick passes to a grateful Jack Carty'. He kicked off once after their first try and kicked a 22 after Carty miss. Neither went to Carty.
You further indulge your bias by ignoring the fact that the kick-off (it doesn’t matter who it went to) was very poor, the equivalent of a kick-pass allowing the receiver to pick his spot as he kicked back out of the Connacht half without a scintilla of pressure applied.

Even in his pomp, arguably our greatest 10 ever, has never been able to achieve kick-offs with hang time that can helped our teams establish good platforms in the opposing half from restarts. Carter was the Master in that regard.

Johnny’s the King until somebody forceably removes it alright, but I haven’t seen anyone do that yet for province or country. But the way some of the keyboard Generals here slavishly circle the wagons is worthy of Custer’s Last Stand.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 5th, 2021, 2:06 pm We got the first ball back because Carty dropped it, not because we did well. Really don’t see how putting up a ball that only goes just outside the 22 is a good option, that’s just asking for trouble. And hesitating and missing the chance to clear your lines and throwing a pass to a rookie fullback and expecting him to solve the problem is poor play too. Really don’t see how they’re positive bits of play just because we got lucky with the outcomes.

I don’t think you addressed my point about you constantly criticising performances over the last few months. I would suggest that if you think Sexton’s performance was fine then you can’t really complain again in future. If we put up a kick in our 22 on Friday and McIlroy catches it and makes a break then I’d be curious to see if you still think it’s good play.
You’re well matched and deserve each other.

I am strongly with LRIP on this as regards Sexton.

I don’t think it was the end of the world. It was 1 game. But it was alarmingly shambolic and raises serious questions that shouldn’t be swept under the loyalty rug.

The dominant poster-Gods here don’t need to feel threatened by posters with contrarian views.

To be a success, a forum like this should flourish with a wide range of posters and views. But it has become a narrow echo chamber/ club with some would-be bullies constantly centre-stage and killing off anyone who isn’t up for a fight.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Jcahill1 wrote: January 5th, 2021, 5:25 pm
riocard911 wrote: January 5th, 2021, 1:28 pm The shocker for me was the fact, that faced with super aggressive Connacht D and linespeed, which were putting us under massive pressure, we just didn't batten down the hatches, weather the storm, play territory via kicks to touch and let the opposition blow themselves out. No instead we repeatedly ran risky moves out of our own 22 putting ourselves under pressure. I mean, that skip pass which got us into difficulties and led directly to Connacht's third try was mad stuff and essentially cost us the game. Up until them we might have won. Thereafter we had essentially no chance. That we kept digging the hole deeper in the first half, instead of implementing plan B is what disappointed me most.
I agree with this completely. The thing that shocked me was why our experienced pack and scrum half didn't just hold onto the ball. We just would not stop throwing it out to the backs when nothing was on.
Agree also. Alarmed by the lack of rugby intelligence and ability to ready what happening and react. Are the players turning into over coached robots? I certainly think that there was a lack of leadership on the pitch. There were also poor calls off it such as leaving JOB at fly half when he was clearly out of his depth. I don’t think it’s a hysterical overreaction to observe that we were out worked, out fought, out smarted and that we didn’t have the on pitch presence of mind to do anything about it. Does it mean that if we can’t beat teams into submission we have no other strings to our game? Very disappointing
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I'm not a fan of this 6-2 split thing. It used to be 4-3 back when there was only one prop on the bench. Do you really need two extra forwards?

Maybe Max O'Reilly or Andrew Smith would have had a bit more rugby under their belts and been a bit more experienced going into the Connacht game if they'd been making benches up to then.

I can see why they do it - wanting to get as many as possible of the talented backrowers involved - but I think it was a contributing factor to having to throw two uncapped back three players in at once.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinsterforever wrote: January 6th, 2021, 12:36 am I'm not a fan of this 6-2 split thing. It used to be 4-3 back when there was only one prop on the bench. Do you really need two extra forwards?

Maybe Max O'Reilly or Andrew Smith would have had a bit more rugby under their belts and been a bit more experienced going into the Connacht game if they'd been making benches up to then.

I can see why they do it - wanting to get as many as possible of the talented backrowers involved - but I think it was a contributing factor to having to throw two uncapped back three players in at once.
Leinster pulled a guy out of AIL at short notice when our Academy prop went down.

We played 2 uncapped back 3 players who are early Academy players because no one else was available.

I don't think going back to a 5-3 split was an option.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Blue Man wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:50 pm
Agree also. Alarmed by the lack of rugby intelligence and ability to ready what happening and react. Are the players turning into over coached robots? I certainly think that there was a lack of leadership on the pitch. There were also poor calls off it such as leaving JOB at fly half when he was clearly out of his depth. I don’t think it’s a hysterical overreaction to observe that we were out worked, out fought, out smarted and that we didn’t have the on pitch presence of mind to do anything about it. Does it mean that if we can’t beat teams into submission we have no other strings to our game? Very disappointing
+1
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

ronk wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:22 am
leinsterforever wrote: January 6th, 2021, 12:36 am I'm not a fan of this 6-2 split thing. It used to be 4-3 back when there was only one prop on the bench. Do you really need two extra forwards?

Leinster pulled a guy out of AIL at short notice when our Academy prop went down.

We played 2 uncapped back 3 players who are early Academy players because no one else was available.

I don't think going back to a 5-3 split was an option.
We did have a 5-3 split come game time. When Clarkson and Murphy dropped out they were replaced by 'New' McGrath and Hawkshaw - though maybe at that point we had no extra forwards left either!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:20 pm
Blue Man wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:50 pm

+1
+2