Post by LeinsterLeader »

Thought it might warrant it's own thread :shock:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 09951.html
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Two Leinster players test positive for Covid-19

Post by wixfjord »

Hope the lads are alright.

One 'positive', if you could call it that, is that there's likely to be minimal contacts as they won't have been training for last few days.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: December 29th, 2020, 11:37 am Hope the lads are alright.

One 'positive', if you could call it that, is that there's likely to be minimal contacts as they won't have been training for last few days.
It's one of those one's were you'll never know for sure but it Might have worked out well for Munster in the end, that the game wasn't hastily rescheduled when the results did come in late the other day.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

The club had a good clear run, and deserve great credit for that. Hopefully the two players aren’t too unwell. Haven’t heard of any rugby player (in the UK or France) that was seriously ill.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

curates_egg wrote: December 29th, 2020, 1:14 pm The club had a good clear run, and deserve great credit for that. Hopefully the two players aren’t too unwell. Haven’t heard of any rugby player (in the UK or France) that was seriously ill.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4334163
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Hopefully there are no long term issues here.

I had what the doctors suspected to be Covid early in the year, but given the lack of available tests I was not seen as a priority for testing.

It took close to 3 months before I could train without coughing up a lung.
However, I did not have the same level of fitness as these professional athletes, or the medical care that they have available.

I wish them a speedy recovery.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

IanD wrote: December 29th, 2020, 1:19 pm
curates_egg wrote: December 29th, 2020, 1:14 pm The club had a good clear run, and deserve great credit for that. Hopefully the two players aren’t too unwell. Haven’t heard of any rugby player (in the UK or France) that was seriously ill.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4334163
Yes. That’s a classic symptom for even asymptomatic infected people. They had an interesting study on it here in Belgium early on. People who weren’t sick at all had those lesions. Some reported shortness of breath.
But I hadn’t heard that any of those players was seriously impacted beyond 3-4 weeks.
Of course, the doom mongering Irish media reported on their scans without context.

As mentioned, I hope neither of the two players gets seriously ill and is out for more than a month.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I wouldn't worry too much, the chances of Covid being severe for an otherwise healthy person under 35 are utterly miniscule.

On an anecdotal level, I had Covid in March and was slightly unwell for two weeks. My first run back was awful, coughing up a lot of gunk, but thereafter I was absolutely fine. I know 10+ people (all 30 or under) who've had it too and have barely been sick.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

They'll be grand.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

My understanding of events is:
- Tests before the munster match showed some false positives due to false positives resulting from contamination / lab error / anomalies.
- This was rectified quickly with all tests being confirmed as negative
- There are now two positive cases

I hope this isn’t a lapse in testing standards as player protection must remain paramount.

Beyond that, it is, at very least, a strange twist of events and I’m not sure the full facts have been disclosed?