Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

Post by leinsterforever »

Should be a good game. Munster will be buzzing after their win in Clermont. Hopefully there won't be any positive cases to put the fixture in danger. Think I'd like to see something like:

1. Peter Dooley
2. Dan Sheehan
3. Michael Bent
4. Jack Dunne
5. Devin Toner
6. Josh Murphy
7. Dan Leavy
8. Caelan Doris
9. Jamison Gibson-Park
10. Harry Byrne
11. Rory O'Loughlin
12. Ciarán Frawley
13. Robbie Henshaw
14. David Kearney
15. Jimmy O'Brien

16. James Tracy
17. Michael Milne
18. Thomas Clarkson
19. Ryan Baird
20. Scott Penny
21. Luke McGrath
22. Ross Byrne
23. Hugo Keenan

A big and physical locks and flankers combo with a good amount of lineout presence is rarely a bad idea against Munster. I think Toner, Dunne and Murphy might be the guys to select for this one. Sheehan for his oomph in the carry and accurate throwing would be a good pick imo.

Who plays 8 if Doris and Ruddock are unavailable? Leavy, Murphy and Soroka would be options, I guess. Baird at 8 could be a left field pick. He'd be tall for the position at 6'5'' or 6'6'', but so's Coombes. Sheehan might be an even more left field pick. Didn't he play blindside in a game in the Cara Cup? I'd be tempted to stick Baird in. Him or Soroka probably.

Hopefully Harry Byrne and JOB are fit to play. This'd be a great game for them to show of what they can do.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'd give Doris and Henshaw the day off. Ringrose could do with the game.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd like to see

Healy
Kelleher
Furlong
Toner
Ryan
Ruddock
Leavy
Doris
McGrath
Sexton
Lowe
Henshaw
Ringrose
Kearney
O'Brien

Dooley
Tracy
Porter
Fardy
vd Flier
Gibson-Park
Harry Byrne
Frawley
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Definitely think Dunne deserves a start. He was by far the best Leinster player in the A match vs Munster, IMO.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I wonder will selection be taken out of the provinces hands for this one. A number of players (especially at Munster) have had very heavy workloads over the last couple of months. The IRFU may ask for players to be rested.

In the past (under Joe anyway) they would only allow international players to play one game (province picks) over the festivities. If that was the case you'd image we'd go locked-and-loaded for Ulster and Munster would go big for Conn as those games are potentially 10 point games for the groups.

Could be interesting!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Certainly would prefer to see Healy, Porter & Ryan locked away on 3 week R&R after a very intense 2/3 month stretch. Wouldn't mind seeing Sexton do 45/50 mins in each of two interpros and Keenan also getting a clear fortnights rest.

Hoping that Rhys didn't collect a rib cartilage injury from that no arms hit from their big winger at a maul. He also could do with some recovery as he has given huge intensity of service over the past six weeks. Baird & Leavy could carry some back-row duties in his absense, even at No 8.

Luke, Fardy & Molony can contribute to captaincy if required.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

These games are always such an anticlimax, not just because Munster generally lose, but because it usually ends up being two weakened teams playing.

I suspect that this game will be no different.
Given the workload of many of the internationals, I suspect many will be given the Christmas period off.

From a Munster perspective, I doubt we will see stander, POM, Murray of Earls play.

Saying all that, I am excited to watch this one, and I’d love to see Healy back playing in time for this game, as it would be great to see him up against mini Byrne
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

This one will be weird without fans. It was high intensity for the first game back, probably too much for that stage of the season.

Leinster could go full throttle as there isn’t the pressure to play the big names at home. But a bit of rotation is a winning formula.

Injuries have already done the job of weakening the sides. I think you have to give the likes of Ryan and Healy a two week break at least.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Judging by Leo's words after the Saints match, the internationals are all off for a long break.

Mickey mouse team will be sent down.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Logorrhea wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:06 am Judging by Leo's words after the Saints match, the internationals are all off for a long break.

In fairness I don’t think any team we send out these days is Mickey Mouse
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Theleinsterlad wrote: December 21st, 2020, 9:39 am
Logorrhea wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:06 am Judging by Leo's words after the Saints match, the internationals are all off for a long break.

In fairness I don’t think any team we send out these days is Mickey Mouse
I agree and find the original post more than a little disrespectful to the squad and the coaching staff, who I think are doing admirably to provide us with the Leinstertainment, we have become accustomed to, under very difficult circumstances.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

"Mickey mouse" was probably the wrong phase to use, but I think sending down a weakened team to our biggest rival (outside of an international and European window) disrespects the fixture (sod the competition), and the fans who really want to see these guys go after each other.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

You're right in part.
Leinster are a highly animated team.
In that context perhaps "Mighty Mouse" would have been a more accurate description of the squad that will be sent down.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Logorrhea wrote: December 21st, 2020, 11:22 am "Mickey mouse" was probably the wrong phase to use, but I think sending down a weakened team to our biggest rival (outside of an international and European window) disrespects the fixture (sod the competition), and the fans who really want to see these guys go after each other.
I too would love to see J10 and the rest of our internationals playing in Thomond Park against our biggest rivals, but IRFU considerations re player welfare rule that out - if reports about the restriction of Ireland players to one interpro over the Xmas period are true. Personally I'm happy out if I can see the likes of Baird and Dunne knocking lumps out of Coombs, the Wycherleys et al!!!!
Last edited by riocard911 on December 21st, 2020, 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote: December 20th, 2020, 8:24 pm These games are always such an anticlimax, not just because Munster generally lose, but because it usually ends up being two weakened teams playing.

I suspect that this game will be no different.
Given the workload of many of the internationals, I suspect many will be given the Christmas period off.

From a Munster perspective, I doubt we will see stander, POM, Murray of Earls play.

Saying all that, I am excited to watch this one, and I’d love to see Healy back playing in time for this game, as it would be great to see him up against mini Byrne
On the Flip side you'll see Coombes, Jack, Casey and Another, that's not too shabby.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We don’t need the biggest stars to play the best rugby.

If we pull out the big guns they will either get bogged down and we’ll be disappointed or they’ll blow Munster away. Either way the fixture loses gloss. And someone usually loses a key player for the year.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

From the Leinster Website:

Jack Conan and ED Byrne back in full training
Rhys injured Ribs. To be assessed.
JOB. Following RTPP
Gary R defo out. Reinjured his jaw.
Sexton and Doris defo out. On a week off
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ah feck. Ringrose reinjures his jaw.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeinsterLeader wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:23 pm From the Leinster Website:

Jack Conan and ED Byrne back in full training
Rhys injured Ribs. To be assessed.
JOB. Following RTPP
Gary R defo out. Reinjured his jaw.
Sexton and Doris defo out. On a week off
Also Harry Byrne being assessed for the back injury he picked up in the warm-up
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I wonder are all internationals on a ‘week off’ or are some around? If the former, I’d go with something like

Dooley, Tracy, Bent, Baird, Toner, Murphy, Leavy, Conan, McGrath, Ross/Harry, Kelleher, Frawley, ROL, DK, JOB

Cronin, Byrne, Clarkson, Fardy, Molony, Penny, HOS, Ross/Harry.

That’s also assuming Ruddock isn’t fit.

No word on Connors or Lowe either?