Heineken Cup 2020/21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Heineken Cup 2020/21

Post by riocard911 »

Mucho apologies - got my edit with my quote confused. Doh....
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Blueberry wrote: December 18th, 2020, 10:31 am Don't disagree with your sentiments on having something to watch but crowning a champion of Europe this year isn't appropriate in my opinion, just makes a farce of the title.

By all means arrange some interpro cup or some new madey up thing for one year only like the nations cup just so we don't go potty but please don't have a euro cup final when it is a farce.

And we can all hope the 2022 champ is a 5th star for Leinster !!
I'm all for the continuation of rugby (and GAA) - pretty much the highlight of each week for me.
If 2021 adds a 5th star for Leinster - great. If it adds a 3rd star for Munster then I might come around to your opinion of it being a farce :lol:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

We've already had a sports bailout also - I doubt theres much left and there won't be any more forthcoming
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Blueberry wrote: December 18th, 2020, 10:31 am Don't disagree with your sentiments on having something to watch but crowning a champion of Europe this year isn't appropriate in my opinion, just makes a farce of the title.

By all means arrange some interpro cup or some new madey up thing for one year only like the nations cup just so we don't go potty but please don't have a euro cup final when it is a farce.

And we can all hope the 2022 champ is a 5th star for Leinster !!
Players have to sacrifice more and be more disciplined than ever. Whoever wins this one has earned it.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Was it a farce when ulster won without the English teams competing?
Was it a farce when an Italian team took part without having to qualify?
Will it be a farce of we let the south Africans compete in the future?

Anything can be a farce from the right point of view if you want it to be.

Some people think a competition is a farce where from the start you have teams with different budgets and different salary cap rules competing against each other.

Some people think 30 grown adults chasing an inflated egg is a farce. And paying to watch them is an even bigger farce.

At the end of the day rugby is just another form of entertainment and needs to stitch something together to survive this like the rest of us. If you don't like the result, don't watch it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

heno wrote: December 18th, 2020, 12:54 pm Was it a farce when ulster won without the English teams competing?

Some people think a competition is a farce where from the start you have teams with different budgets and different salary cap rules competing against each other.

Some people think 30 grown adults chasing an inflated egg is a farce. And paying to watch them is an even bigger farce.

At the end of the day rugby is just another form of entertainment and needs to stitch something together to survive this like the rest of us. If you don't like the result, don't watch it.

:happy clapper:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: December 18th, 2020, 12:55 pm
heno wrote: December 18th, 2020, 12:54 pm Was it a farce when ulster won without the English teams competing?

:happy clapper:
heno you ledge
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

We all want something to watch and no wants to be here but the integrity of a competition is important. What is happening is in so many ways totally predictable and while no one knows where it will go from here it wouldn't have taken a genius to forsee the mess with teams flying around between Ireland, the UK and France.

Would watch Leinster playing anyone but don't want to win a fifth star with a giant asterix beside it !!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Blueberry wrote: December 18th, 2020, 1:54 pm

We all want something to watch and no wants to be here but the integrity of a competition is important. What is happening is in so many ways totally predictable and while no one knows where it will go from here it wouldn't have taken a genius to forsee the mess with teams flying around between Ireland, the UK and France.

Would watch Leinster playing anyone but don't want to win a fifth star with a giant asterix beside it !!
What is happening is in so many ways totally predictable and while no one knows where it will go ... Quite the juxtaposition there!

There won't actually be an asterisk beside Leinster's fifth (should it happen) - only in your mind.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Predictable that games would end up being cancelled and unpredictable as to how many..... or if the current rate of cancellation escalates presumably they will be forced to pull the plug anyway.....

Well we can probably agree on one thing - if we do win it this year the Munster brigade will have an asterix beside it 😉 regardless of what is in my head 😉
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Will the asterisk beside the star look like a 6th star?
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Suggest we let Ulster win and then they have two stars and an asterix and it would p**s off Munster who only have 2 stars !!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Blueberry wrote: December 18th, 2020, 2:57 pm Suggest we let Ulster win and then they have two stars and an asterix and it would p**s off Munster who only have 2 stars !!
That would give Ulster two stars and two asterisks!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Whatever people want to stick beside the star someone is going to win it, hopefully it’s us.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: December 17th, 2020, 10:13 pm
Dexter wrote: December 17th, 2020, 3:49 pm The EPCR made the potential Covid problem worse by having 2 "groups" of 12 teams - so a teams results impact on a lot of teams they don't even play. I know this is also a factor for the best placed 2nd position under the normal format, but it's less of a factor.
A covid issue in a group of 4 teams would be easier to deal with than a group of 12 teams (see RWC19 cancelled group games).
Of all the years to try this, this was NOT the year. I'm not sure how someone didn't think of this.... Doh!
have you thought that one through fully dexter?

in any competition where standings and points scored across pools matter.....it makes little difference if the impacted teams are in pools or in leagues, like they are in this years comp.

a tad harsh to point the finger at EPCR who are trying to make the best of a bad situation.
I'd be more cynical: saying the EPCR, set up by disgruntled English and French rugby, used the situation as an opportunity to reduce the number of pool games, which they've previously stated they wanted to do. So yeah, I would point the finger at the EPCR to some extent.
It does also have a bigger impact in 12 team pools than in 4 team pools, in my opinion, as it can potentially impact up to 11 other teams and not 3 (or 7 if you include 2nd place teams in the old pool)
Dont Panic!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Toulon have just pulled out of tonights game vs Scarlets citing health concerns. Scarlets had a positive case but the game was due to be played
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Laighin Break wrote: December 18th, 2020, 3:37 pm
Blueberry wrote: December 18th, 2020, 2:57 pm Suggest we let Ulster win and then they have two stars and an asterix and it would p**s off Munster who only have 2 stars !!
That would give Ulster two stars and two asterisks!
:green clap: :green clap:
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

The Doc wrote: December 18th, 2020, 4:09 pm Toulon have just pulled out of tonights game vs Scarlets citing health concerns. Scarlets had a positive case but the game was due to be played
So they concede the points then.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Twitter machine claims Toulon thought sanitary standards weren't up to scratch and got back on the plane.....no idea if that is true or maybe it was just pi**ing rain and they didn't fancy it.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

No doubt they will appeal it and claim health and safety and the Scaaaaaaaaarlets will claim the points and there will be piles of paperwork to complete......