Leinster v Northampton 19/12 1PM

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Northampton 19/12 1PM

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Leocaster picked on form last weekend. They are more conscious than all of us of the upcoming schedule. Internal competition for places is the biggest motivation within the Squad at present.

Line-out was the only poor set-piece on Sat. Our maul, attacking and defensively, was much improved particularly in body positions. The scrum in the first-half was excellent and Ml Bent really earned his corn. Dooley more than covered for the absence of Ed Byrne (would he really have been selected to start, if fit?).

Dev scrummed behind Bent with Rhys mostly on his flank - roughly equal weight with MontP giants - and Bent did a number on a well regarded French prop. Well done to Robyn McBride.

Dev must call more on himself and throws at 2 - before he calls throws at No 6. Throwers w/o confidence are never any use. Its exactly like putting - the more putts you hole from 3/4 ft, the easier the ones from 12 ft - you need to build up the habit and muscle memory.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The scrum issues are about more than just the second half. They’re about the Saracens game and some of the Ireland ones too when Leinster players were involved. Toner doing well behind Bent is great, but if Ryan is going to be our TH lock and Porter is in front of him then they need to improve a lot IMO. It’s very hit and miss.
injoewetrust
Beginner

Post by injoewetrust »

Resting players and playing the squad is required.

Dooley, Kelleher, Bent, Baird, Toner, Murphy, Leavy, Ruddock, JGP, H Byrne, Kearney, Frawley, Henshaw, Keenan, JOB

Healy, Tracey, Porter, Ryan, Fardy, McGrath, Sexton, Kelleher

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Serb wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:40 pm
riocard911 wrote:Ditto completely agree. Harry's right side touchline conversion of JO'B's try at the end was impressive. Also his break up the middle with JO'B was an example of the stuff he can do. The BPV away vs MON and our unbeaten run in the Rabo gives the coaches enormous leeway in terms of selection between now and the start of the 6 Nations. I imagine and certainly hope, those weren't the last points or minutes HB will accrue in Europe this season...
Jaysus, the Rabo Image but totally agree in terms of Ross Byrne not being the answer. I know he has his fans here, and there’s the whole guiding us through other European games, but I’m not a big fan of him personally and bar the Ulster quarter final, I don’t think he’s been particularly tested in any European games.

I’d love to see Harry make the bench ahead of Ross (assuming Sexton is fit). He’s definitely more of a risk taker than his brother, so we’d be trading off the reliable / predictable for the X factor / potentially costly mistake but 30 mins against this Northampton team isn’t likely to be too risky.
Reading some of the comments here about Ross makes me laugh and the way some fans can turn very fickle on true blue players to that have given their all to the jersey. I’m not a fan of Ross and would love to see Harry given a go more to get experience, but it does confuse me a bit when people run down Ross for things he is not responsible for. The commentators have it right about him, he does what he needs to do well and let’s others shine - he doesn’t have xfactor like carberry or now Harry has but every time he has been asked to front up in the blue jersey he hasn’t let us down. I think many forget his performances in other big euro games (previous Montpellier matches) and the steady Eddie he has been when we needed it with Johnny missing. The fact that some will use his missed kicks against when in fairness he nearly always gets them - it’s like the lad cannot have one off day. I would suggest people don’t need to look to far at our neighbours who would have only been delighted to have a steady Eddie for the past couple of seasons just to do the normal stuff right. I’m delighted we have Ross and even happier that we now have Harry to improve hopefully too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'm not sure that anybody is running down Ross for things he is not responsible for. Some people, including yourself, aren't massive fans but recognise what he brings to the team - Some people, including myself, are fans of his - and recognise what he brings to the team. But all of us recognise that he isn't in great form at the moment, isn't playing well currently, and that Harry is both in good form and playing well at the moment. Absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of criticism of a player as long as it's polite.
I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Theleinsterlad wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:16 am I would suggest people don’t need to look to far at our neighbours who would have only been delighted to have a steady Eddie for the past couple of seasons just to do the normal stuff right.
Ian Keatley may want to discuss that point with you in more detail. They f*cking destroyed him for not being a superstar.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Theleinsterlad wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:16 am

I think many forget his performances in other big euro games (previous Montpellier matches) and the steady Eddie he has been when we needed it with Johnny missing.

Yep, I think saying he hasn't 'been particularly tested in any European games' is a very unfair and untrue comment.

Exeter, Toulouse, Montpellier x4, Ulster QF, Lyon, Wasps, Saints, Castres.

All games he has either started or seen 55 mins+ in.

All games that we've won, bar Castres which we drew.

Not to say that he's playing well currently. And personally I think he lacks the athleticism for test level.

But I think he's more than good enough at Euro level.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Based on training photos it looks like Ringer is fit for weekend.

No sign of Sexton though, or Connors who I assume is still recovering from concussion.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That’s a bit worrying about Connors, hope he’s alright.

Amazing that we’re missing a back row of Conan, Connors, and Deegan but it doesn’t seem like a big deal because of who we can still pick, and it’s not like we’ve to pluck someone really young from the academy either.
roarlad
Learner

Post by roarlad »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:30 am I'm not sure that anybody is running down Ross for things he is not responsible for. Some people, including yourself, aren't massive fans but recognise what he brings to the team - Some people, including myself, are fans of his - and recognise what he brings to the team. But all of us recognise that he isn't in great form at the moment, isn't playing well currently, and that Harry is both in good form and playing well at the moment. Absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of criticism of a player as long as it's polite.
At the same time are we also getting ahead in our HB praise?
He needs to manage the game better, something RB does well.

For example, recently he has a habit of aimless crossfield kicks which end up in touch or otherwise..
Also, he loves to force the pass when its not on, he gave Frawley a lovely hospital pass for example at the weekend..

I'm sure he's working on these things, the hope he doesn't just become another flash in the pan like Madigan and get derailed not living up to the hype, though becoming serviceable...
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Logorrhea wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:36 am
Theleinsterlad wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:16 am I would suggest people don’t need to look to far at our neighbours who would have only been delighted to have a steady Eddie for the past couple of seasons just to do the normal stuff right.
Ian Keatley may want to discuss that point with you in more detail. They f*cking destroyed him for not being a superstar.
I was more talking about JJ as opposed to Keats
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

The bookmakers have us almost unbackable for this. They are currently giving Northampton a 42 point start. A sad indication of how Northampton are now seen by many :shock:
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Can’t afford to go to light as we have to secure the 5 points and plenty of tries.
Bordeaux with Dragons home and away plus Northampton at home could easily have 19 points at the end .
Top spot gets us a potential home semi
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Blue not red blood wrote: December 15th, 2020, 10:25 pm Can’t afford to go to light as we have to secure the 5 points and plenty of tries.
Bordeaux with Dragons home and away plus Northampton at home could easily have 19 points at the end .
Top spot gets us a potential home semi
+1.
This, not last week, is the banana skin. Boyd has many good kids in his Academy and they will arrive fired up for the opportunity and well coached.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 27az7EZYiy
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:30 am I'm not sure that anybody is running down Ross for things he is not responsible for. Some people, including yourself, aren't massive fans but recognise what he brings to the team - Some people, including myself, are fans of his - and recognise what he brings to the team. But all of us recognise that he isn't in great form at the moment, isn't playing well currently, and that Harry is both in good form and playing well at the moment. Absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of criticism of a player as long as it's polite.
That's it. Think everyone is being respectful. There is no question at all that Ross Byrne works his arse off and some elements of this game have improved (his kicking over the years being a case in point). I think he's a very good Pro 14 player who has shown glimpsesin the Champions Cup (Toulouse was a great example). As one of the biggest club teams in Europe we have to improve and get better so Sexton is the benchmark. Ross has played nearly 100 games for Leinster and 11 for Ireland so there's a pretty good body of work to evaluate and he isn't one of the top 5 outhalves in Europe. I'd also say that this needs to be looked at from an Irish perspective and Ross with Ireland has not gone well.

Regardless of all of that, Sexton is coming towards the end and is often not available so we need to develop the depth. The 2 current candidates Harry and Frawley (with Hawkshaw later) need to be developed. Harry is definitely not the finished article, I though his performance against Cardiff was average to be honest. However, as with other positions we need to be pushing these boys forward to test how good they are,
Last edited by Flash Gordon on December 16th, 2020, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

i dunno, I think as a loosehead Prop Ed makes a good outhalf :P
I have Bumbleflex
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

Will miss this live on Saturday and I can't record it. Will there be any highlights? I don't see anything listed on TG4.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 16th, 2020, 12:19 pm i dunno, I think as a loosehead Prop Ed makes a good outhalf :P
Ha ha! Sorry, Harry. Actually, now you mention it, I wonder does Ed kick?..... :lol:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

awaaf wrote: December 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm Will miss this live on Saturday and I can't record it. Will there be any highlights? I don't see anything listed on TG4.
Channel 4 have live coverage starting at 12.30 according to my TV guide.
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

riocard911 wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:25 pm
awaaf wrote: December 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm Will miss this live on Saturday and I can't record it. Will there be any highlights? I don't see anything listed on TG4.
Channel 4 have live coverage starting at 12.30 according to my TV guide.
Brilliant thanks. It wasn't listed on the Leinster fixtures page so never checked there.