Fullback options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Fullback options going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

D4surfer wrote: October 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: October 12th, 2020, 3:42 pm Dunno what the story is with O'Sullivan, no sign of him for A's or recent academy training photos.

Smith is possible, although unlikely.. probably needs a few more injuries.
Isn't O'Sullivan with Ireland 7s
last season, not sure about now... anyway you'd think given that the 7's wont be playing anytime soon, he'd be in with leinster especially as is in his final year in the academy and he could maybe get some game time..
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Rob Russell playing great stuff for Trinity at the moment, thought he was pretty unlucky not to make the academy..
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 15th, 2020, 11:13 am Rob Russell playing great stuff for Trinity at the moment, thought he was pretty unlucky not to make the academy..
He was shafted by Josh Lyman when Santos won the nomination.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

joooooe wrote: October 15th, 2020, 12:29 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: October 15th, 2020, 11:13 am Rob Russell playing great stuff for Trinity at the moment, thought he was pretty unlucky not to make the academy..
:lol: :clap:
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

joooooe wrote: October 15th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

Have watched two of Trinity's games and he's been the best player on the park in both, kicking very well too
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Quality try for Russell here: https://youtu.be/2ap-9WvHY5U?t=1562
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Another impressive performance by JOB at 15. Hope to see more of him there in the coming weeks.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 24th, 2020, 10:24 am Another impressive performance by JOB at 15. Hope to see more of him there in the coming weeks.
I thought he was excellent, some of his dinks/ kicks were excellent, makes such a difference havin a natural left footed kicking option at 15.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Yeah, I thought Jimmy did really well. It was a cake-walk of an examination of his defensive duties, but he showed an awful lot of nous in attack and it would certainly encourage the staff to give him another opportunity at No15.

He plays the position the way that Alex Goode has played for the better part of his career at Saracens, essentially the same way that Carbery briefly played for us at fullback. It's a really interesting look for us, especially with Harry Byrne and Frawley in the team ... lots of guys who have played outhalf, lots of guys who can run, pass, kick and make decisions. It reminds me of the Queensland State of Origin side with Cooper Cronk, Jonathan Thurston and Billy Slater in it.

Jimmy has had an interesting progression to this point – outhalf at school, centre at U20s, then into the Sevens program, now a fullback/centre. I wouldn't have picked either himself or Keenan out of the mix at U20s level back in 2016, but they have progressed really well. Obviously they were better players than I gave them credit for, but I also think it says a lot about the calibre of coaching that they have had at Leinster under Lancaster [which I have always been a big believer in] and the effect of playing so much Sevens rugby [of which I was much more sceptical].

I'd like to see Conor O'Brien in that team at No13. It would allow us to get some more size into the backline [especially into the wider channels of the pitch] and himself and Frawley could operate effectively switching roles occasionally. COB is an outstanding left-footed kicking option too, and another guy who spent formative years as an outhalf, but he has also played wing for the Irish U20s and Clontarf, so he's got decent speed too. He'd be a good fit in that backline.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

hugonaut wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:49 am Yeah, I thought Jimmy did really well. It was a cake-walk of an examination of his defensive duties, but he showed an awful lot of nous in attack and it would certainly encourage the staff to give him another opportunity at No15.

He plays the position the way that Alex Goode has played for the better part of his career at Saracens, essentially the same way that Carbery briefly played for us at fullback. It's a really interesting look for us, especially with Harry Byrne and Frawley in the team ... lots of guys who have played outhalf, lots of guys who can run, pass, kick and make decisions. It reminds me of the Queensland State of Origin side with Cooper Cronk, Jonathan Thurston and Billy Slater in it.

Jimmy has had an interesting progression to this point – outhalf at school, centre at U20s, then into the Sevens program, now a fullback/centre. I wouldn't have picked either himself or Keenan out of the mix at U20s level back in 2016, but they have progressed really well. Obviously they were better players than I gave them credit for, but I also think it says a lot about the calibre of coaching that they have had at Leinster under Lancaster [which I have always been a big believer in] and the effect of playing so much Sevens rugby [of which I was much more sceptical].

I'd like to see Conor O'Brien in that team at No13. It would allow us to get some more size into the backline [especially into the wider channels of the pitch] and himself and Frawley could operate effectively switching roles occasionally. COB is an outstanding left-footed kicking option too, and another guy who spent formative years as an outhalf, but he has also played wing for the Irish U20s and Clontarf, so he's got decent speed too. He'd be a good fit in that backline.
+1
Thoughtful analysis as always. The quality of coaching starts with Noel McNamara in the Academy and it's often overlooked. Leo & Stuart always have the option of including Academy guys in senior training because their fundamentals are so good. However, another key factor is the outlook and demeanour of the young guys coming through. No room for big egos but lots of encouragement for confidence in your own ability.

A really good bunch of backs on the edge of great careers to follow some of the young stand-out forwards. More good days ahead.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I think Frawley is starting to develop into a quality player. He's one of those lads that just seems to have so much time on the ball.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:49 amIt reminds me of the Queensland State of Origin side with Cooper Cronk, Jonathan Thurston and Billy Slater in it.
Surely this comparison has a Cameron Smith sized hole in it?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Morf wrote: October 24th, 2020, 9:40 pm
hugonaut wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:49 amIt reminds me of the Queensland State of Origin side with Cooper Cronk, Jonathan Thurston and Billy Slater in it.
You are correct. Cameron Smith is nominally a hooker though, so I felt conflicted including him in the comparison!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote: October 24th, 2020, 10:05 pm
Morf wrote: October 24th, 2020, 9:40 pm
You are correct. Cameron Smith is nominally a hooker though, so I felt conflicted including him in the comparison!
Very true alright. Uncertain if he's played half at Origin standard but definitely has done so for Storm with aplomb.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

JOB and Keenan the standout options at 15 for me going forward.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:49 am JOB and Keenan the standout options at 15 for me going forward.
+1. Our quality of choice is akin to the Dempsey / Murphy / Kearney era - although the ages are much closer
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:57 am
mildlyinterested wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:49 am JOB and Keenan the standout options at 15 for me going forward.
+1. Our quality of choice is akin to the Dempsey / Murphy / Kearney era - although the ages are much closer
Surprised that Jordan Larmour isn't in the frame. He's got 24 caps for Ireland and was the starting full back for Ireland before he got injured - and looked a strong possibility for the Lions squad. He might not be the finished article but neither is JOB and him and JOB are the same age. JOB, like Larmour is an outstanding attacking force but I'm not sure regarding defence and I'm not sure we'll see whether he has it till he steps up to the higher level for Leinster - he made zero tackles vs Cardiff last weekend, not because he did anything wrong but rather because he didn't have to.

Seems like Larmour has been around forever but, as he says himself, he's still learning the trade.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

prefer to see Larmour on the wing going forward, think it suits his natural game and skillset better.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 25th, 2020, 11:02 am prefer to see Larmour on the wing going forward, think it suits his natural game and skillset better.
I tend to agree.