MNR: Edinburgh in the RDS, 16/11, 8.15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: MNR: Edinburgh in the RDS, 16/11, 8.15pm

Post by dropkick »

blaker wrote: November 16th, 2020, 10:04 pm Like, great and all, and not ragging on anybody on the pitch, but this league is goosed.
Not really.

There are more games in the international window this year because if covid. That means weaker opposition.

The South Africans will improve things.

The IRFU will also be looking at this and thinking to themselves do they need to fund the provinces as much.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

MarkyDeSad wrote: November 16th, 2020, 10:14 pm Still impressed by the hunger and the skills, opposition maybe poor but our second half was very good. Think a lot of top teams in other leagues missing their internationals would have struggled against us tonight, plenty of big performances. Well done, Leinster.
+1.
That's definitely the right perspective. As stated above in the thread, our players are well coached, playing with appetite and tempo and making opponents look very ordinary. Don't knock those elements. Remember what Pivac did for two seasons @ Scarlets and be thankful that our entire squad are having a ball playing up towards the top of their potential.

Well done Leinster.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Edinburgh were terrible but you can only play what’s in front of you.
I really like having three footballers in the backline (Harry, Frawley and JOB). All three have a full range of passing and kicking skills.
Luke McG was good, he got the ball away fast and sniped well.
Our pack is too strong and experienced for any other in the League which affords the backs space and front foot ball. However, in general and in far from perfect conditions, our passing was really good tonight.
Great to see Baird come back and look as dangerous as ever. An Irish cap beckons vs Georgia.
But the undoubted highlight was Dan’s first start in a year and a half. He looked really good. I thought it would take a lot longer for him to reach that level but his footwork, physicality and smarts at the breakdown were excellent.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Fabulous result........again. Having more games during the Internationals has skewed things but only a little. We went unbeaten in the season up until March before Covid derailed things. Glasgow and Scarlets fading away from where they were previously is a disaster for the league. As another poster put it, we're 1/3 of the way through the season and we know the SF's will be Munster vs Ulster and ourselves vs tbc. That's not good.

Back on topic, J'OB and Kelleher's performances mean that, all of a sudden, we actually have a bit of depth in the Back 3. Champions Cup line up of 11. Lowe, 14 D. Kearney, 15 O'Brien, 23. Keenan with Larmour, Kelleher and TO'B competing hard also is a great place to be.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Blue Man wrote: November 16th, 2020, 10:56 pm Edinburgh were terrible but you can only play what’s in front of you.
I really like having three footballers in the backline (Harry, Frawley and JOB). All three have a full range of passing and kicking skills.
Our pack is too strong and experienced for any other in the League which affords the backs space and front foot ball. However, in general and in far from perfect conditions, our passing was really good tonight.
Great to see Baird come back and look as dangerous as ever. An Irish cap beckons vs Georgia.
But the undoubted highlight was Dan’s first start in a year and a half. He looked really good. I thought it would take a lot longer for him to reach that level but his footwork, physicality and smarts at the breakdown were excellent.
Agree with your comments on Harry [21], Frawley [22] and Jimmy [23]. It's a really skilled cluster of players to put together at this level, and I think Lancaster [especially] and Felipe are really enjoying coaching it and excited about how they go on the pitch. I'd love to see how far they can go with it. I'd pick this unit as often as possible in the league this season.

Jimmy's attacking kicking in wide channels is so accurate, well-judged and effective ... it's not as though it's never been done before, but we've never had a guy who could do it so well or so frequently. His willingness and ability to give and take the risky offloads when a try-scoring chance presents itself is another feature of his play that I'm really enthusiastic about. This is a bit of a run-of-the-mill interview with Murray Kinsella [link: https://www.the42.ie/jimmy-obrien-leins ... 8-Nov2019/ ], but I suppose its value lies in hearing how JOB puts a lot of his improvements down to adapting his game with the Sevens.

The other thing of course is that he makes so few errors ... you sort of take that for granted when it's not happening, but you have to have it in the back of your mind.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

hugonaut wrote: November 17th, 2020, 7:51 am
Blue Man wrote: November 16th, 2020, 10:56 pm Edinburgh were terrible but you can only play what’s in front of you.
Agree with your comments on Harry [21], Frawley [22] and Jimmy [23]. It's a really skilled cluster of players to put together at this level, and I think Lancaster [especially] and Felipe are really enjoying coaching it and excited about how they go on the pitch. I'd love to see how far they can go with it. I'd pick this unit as often as possible in the league this season.

Jimmy's attacking kicking in wide channels is so accurate, well-judged and effective ... it's not as though it's never been done before, but we've never had a guy who could do it so well or so frequently. His willingness and ability to give and take the risky offloads when a try-scoring chance presents itself is another feature of his play that I'm really enthusiastic about. This is a bit of a run-of-the-mill interview with Murray Kinsella [link: https://www.the42.ie/jimmy-obrien-leins ... 8-Nov2019/ ], but I suppose its value lies in hearing how JOB puts a lot of his improvements down to adapting his game with the Sevens.

The other thing of course is that he makes so few errors ... you sort of take that for granted when it's not happening, but you have to have it in the back of your mind.
+1 x 2 (both posts)

Scott Penny also consistently excellent and still only 20 for another month
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

backrower8 wrote: November 17th, 2020, 8:25 am
hugonaut wrote: November 17th, 2020, 7:51 am

+1 x 2 (both posts)

Scott Penny also consistently excellent and still only 20 for another month
again that's not correct, he is 21.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

That last Kelleher try was serious All Blacks stuff - lightning fast, super support lines, offloads.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jimmy O'Brien really adds a lot at 15.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I think we're seeing that Leinster are far better than other clubs at coping without their internationals. We lost around 17 players to Ireland and I don't think any other clubs was so severely impacted, so I'm delighted we're still posting big wins.

Away on the plastic pitch to a strengthened Glasgow these lads got a serious test and still won comfortably. I have no complaints about supporting such a good team with such good depth.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

By my reckoning we were missing 25 players from the senior squad due to internationals/injury.

International Squad: Healy, Ed Byrne, Ronan Kelleher, Porter, Ryan, Connors, vd Flier, Doris, Gibson-Park, Ross Byrne, Keenan, Lowe
International Squad/Injured: Sexton, Henshaw
Leinster Injured: Cronin, Furlong, Abdaladze, Conan, Deegan, Tommy O'Brien, Conor O'Brien, Adam Byrne, O'Loughlin, Ringrose, Larmour
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

This age thing feels like a bit.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Twist wrote: November 17th, 2020, 9:53 am I think we're seeing that Leinster are far better than other clubs at coping without their internationals. We lost around 17 players to Ireland and I don't think any other clubs was so severely impacted, so I'm delighted we're still posting big wins.

Away on the plastic pitch to a strengthened Glasgow these lads got a serious test and still won comfortably. I have no complaints about supporting such a good team with such good depth.
+1!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We played a really strong pack and a backline with 3 highly creative ballers and 2 finishers out wide.

On a good day with an open game we'd rip teams to shreds with quick ball. The pack got that, and even dominated scrum and lineout. Then Edinburgh made some early mistakes that let us get up a head of steam. On a different day that's a closer game.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

riocard911 wrote: November 17th, 2020, 10:37 am
Twist wrote: November 17th, 2020, 9:53 am I think we're seeing that Leinster are far better than other clubs at coping without their internationals. We lost around 17 players to Ireland and I don't think any other clubs was so severely impacted, so I'm delighted we're still posting big wins.

+1!!!
Well yes but we got knocked out in the quarter finals of the Champions Cup by a team that (again) did us on physicality and mental resilience.

The comments on the league are fair. The economic model is still attendance based. If you're a fan in Wales, Scotland or Italy it's not much fun to watch your team getting killed each week particularly if you have the option of watching Celtic/Rangers or Swansea/Cardiff City as an alternative.

The league has to be competitive, the South African heavy weights will help for sure but a league that has become a development plan for the Irish teams isn't a sustainable option.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Flash Gordon wrote: November 17th, 2020, 12:57 pm If you're a fan in Wales, Scotland or Italy it's not much fun to watch your team getting killed each week particularly if you have the option of watching Celtic/Rangers or Swansea/Cardiff City as an alternative.
And how do you feel when the SA clubs arrive?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 17th, 2020, 8:28 am
backrower8 wrote: November 17th, 2020, 8:25 am Scott Penny also consistently excellent and still only 20 for another month
again that's not correct, he is 21.
Again, that's pedantic of you.

His age was not my substantive point. His form was. I am wrong, by 3 months, on his age courtesy of Ultimate Rugby.

The strength in depth in midfield is remarkable considering we have 5 centres (Garry, Robbie, ROL, CO'B, TO'B) and 2 outside backs (Jordan & Adam) injured at the moment.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Flash Gordon wrote: November 17th, 2020, 12:57 pm
riocard911 wrote: November 17th, 2020, 10:37 am

+1!!!
Well yes but we got knocked out in the quarter finals of the Champions Cup by a team that (again) did us on physicality and mental resilience.

The comments on the league are fair. The economic model is still attendance based. If you're a fan in Wales, Scotland or Italy it's not much fun to watch your team getting killed each week particularly if you have the option of watching Celtic/Rangers or Swansea/Cardiff City as an alternative.

The league has to be competitive, the South African heavy weights will help for sure but a league that has become a development plan for the Irish teams isn't a sustainable option.
+1 Flash - I think you have hit the nail on the head here.....50 point hammerings will result in ever reducing fan numbers that might make the Covid crowds look massive :D :D Some level of higher competition or promotion or relegation is required to keep games relevant.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.