MNR: Glasgow away, 2nd Nov, 8.15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: MNR: Glasgow away, 2nd Nov, 8.15pm

Post by Flash Gordon »

hugonaut wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:59 am
wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 9:04 am Matawalu always causes us problems.

Big job for Kelleher to keep him quiet.

Also, interesting to see Kelleher at 14 and DK at 11. I wonder is that an Andy Farrell request?
Interesting idea.

I never played in the back three [even as a nipper] and it's part of the game where some nuances are lost on me. I understand – I think I understand – what is expected of wingers in different defensive systems, but I mostly put their selection at either left or right wing down to getting them in the team, maybe sometimes whether they favour kicking the ball with left or right foot.

For example, Stockdale and James Lowe are both left-footed, but surely one of them can play right wing without his game going to pieces? And if a left-footed kicking option in defense has become a big requirement for us, surely you can just put your left-footed winger in at fullback for one phase to make that kick – for example, you could play Hugo Keenan at fullback with Lowe or Stockdale on the left wing and just swap positions when you need a left-footed defensive clearance.

I've generally come down more in favour of big wing/small wing, players who offer different threats; for example, Shane Williams and George North for Wales in 2011-12. Both guys have pace and can beat you in small spaces – one guy by sending you the wrong way, the other guy by going through you.

Would be keen to learn more and hear different opinions.
It's a bit swings and roundabouts the kicking factor is a reason you're also passing off your stronger side (not that any of the wingers I played with ever passed!!!).

At this level these things shouldn't matter. Having played soccer at a decent level we were expected to use both feet and trained that way, never bothers me which foot I shoot with.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Kelleher has pretty much only played at 11 when he's been on the wing for us right?

And DK has played a lot more 14 than 11 too. Albeit maybe that's down to J. Lowe.

Just something that stuck out to me!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Considering International duty, I'm genuinely surprised at how strong a pack we can put out.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

hugonaut wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:59 am
wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 9:04 am Matawalu always causes us problems.

Big job for Kelleher to keep him quiet.

Also, interesting to see Kelleher at 14 and DK at 11. I wonder is that an Andy Farrell request?
Interesting idea.

I never played in the back three [even as a nipper] and it's part of the game where some nuances are lost on me. I understand – I think I understand – what is expected of wingers in different defensive systems, but I mostly put their selection at either left or right wing down to getting them in the team, maybe sometimes whether they favour kicking the ball with left or right foot.

For example, Stockdale and James Lowe are both left-footed, but surely one of them can play right wing without his game going to pieces? And if a left-footed kicking option in defense has become a big requirement for us, surely you can just put your left-footed winger in at fullback for one phase to make that kick – for example, you could play Hugo Keenan at fullback with Lowe or Stockdale on the left wing and just swap positions when you need a left-footed defensive clearance.

I've generally come down more in favour of big wing/small wing, players who offer different threats; for example, Shane Williams and George North for Wales in 2011-12. Both guys have pace and can beat you in small spaces – one guy by sending you the wrong way, the other guy by going through you.

Would be keen to learn more and hear different opinions.
Usually/historically, your better attacker played on the left wing and your better defender on the right. It's somewhat self-perpetuating as the opposition would do the same thing so you had to counter that. The logic is that most players (like most of the population) are right handed and so can pass better off their right hand (i.e. towards the left winger) and the ball will get to the wing faster/deeper/further from the pack.

There are tales of international centres only able to pass properly off one hand right up to the 80s and 90s, so it might have made sense then. Even some scrum-halves had to dive-pass when passing further off their weak hand (as an aside, dive passes are cool and I miss them). In the modern, professional game this is less of a consideration but the concept seems to have been maintained.

In terms of tonight's match, perhaps they want the pacier winger on Matawalu? Though the opposite could be argued in order to have Kearney's aerial skills against him...of course, it might just be the numbers on the backs and we see the back 3 chop and change.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

One thing that we tend to like to do on that Warriors pitch is kick to the corner and maul. Given the size/experience of the pack we have out and the number of lineout options I'd say that might be a tactic we use quite a bit.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I see Ben Shitehouse is refereeing.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 2:22 pm Kelleher has pretty much only played at 11 when he's been on the wing for us right?

And DK has played a lot more 14 than 11 too. Albeit maybe that's down to J. Lowe.

Just for the sake of keeping the facts straight :wink:

DK Starts = 129/150
At 11 = 73
At 14 = 41
At 15 = 15
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Xanthippe wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:11 pm
wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 2:22 pm Kelleher has pretty much only played at 11 when he's been on the wing for us right?

DK Starts = 129/150
At 11 = 73
At 14 = 41
At 15 = 15

You and your FACTS :lol:

Maybe it was only last season clouding my mind, I seem to remember him being on the right a lot more?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

probably because Lowe only plays 11 really.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:15 pm
Xanthippe wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:11 pm

DK Starts = 129/150
At 11 = 73
At 14 = 41
At 15 = 15

You and your FACTS :lol:

Maybe it was only last season clouding my mind, I seem to remember him being on the right a lot more?

Yep me too - I would have put a bet on his appearances at 14 being way higher. I was extremely surprised as the numbers started adding up but then I though about one of my favourite Leinster rugby pics and it all started to make sense!

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Any streams I should avoid?
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Could be getting a free hit here thanks to the Blues
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Jonny tight lips wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 7:45 pm Could be getting a free hit here thanks to the Blues
Ulster just won 11 - 7
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

I can't find any streams to avoid. Following on bloody Twitter.

And here...........
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Such a bad pass from Luke that it came back off HB's shin straight to him.

He's had a few shockers so far.

Hopefully just warming up.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Avoid vipleague.lc for streams at all costs.
Living abroad, I avoid this site for every Leinster game
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 8:21 pm Such a bad pass from Luke that it came back off HB's shin straight to him.

He's had a few shockers so far.

Hopefully just warming up.
He keeps going! Another awful one
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Beautiful stuff from HB. Lovely half break.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Take a bow - Harry B...
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

great 10 minutes from both sides.
soft tackling for JOB try....but we'll take that. great start for leinster. snubbed out two threatening attacks on their own 22.

the difference in pace and intensity compared to the blues v ulster game is stark.