2nd Row going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

TrapperChamonix wrote: September 7th, 2020, 4:01 pm
neiliog93 wrote: September 5th, 2020, 6:28 pm While Fardy has low mileage for his age and is playing in a position where some can play at the highest level until about 40, he's looked a bit slow since the season resumed and is 36 now (37 by end of the season). I wonder is he in decline? On the other hand, it might be that it's taking him time to get back up to speed, which is not uncommon in players 35+, and does necessarily meaning they won't get back to their previous standards after getting 4-5 games under their belt.
Fardy routinely takes up a position on the wing, particularly on the blind side. He does this whether he plays 6 or 5. Its noticable that Baird takes a similar position if Fardy is off and he is on.
Fardy as a role model for Baird makes a lot of sense.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

was great seeing leinster have success against munster lineout..

Scott Fardy stole two, Devin Toner picked off one, and Ryan Baird got one.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 8th, 2020, 9:38 am was great seeing leinster have success against munster lineout..

Scott Fardy stole two, Devin Toner picked off one, and Ryan Baird got one.
... thank you Murray Kinsella. How come you don't add the author/source to a lot of your material?
You add huge value to the forum, but it's a bit disingenuous to fail to mention the people putting in the work.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 49984?s=20
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Fardy makes the Pro14 dream team for this season. Only Leinster tight five player to do so.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

curates_egg wrote: September 9th, 2020, 2:12 pm Fardy makes the Pro14 dream team for this season. Only Leinster tight five player to do so.
Not having slight on this award but is that more to the fact that so many players have played in our tight 5 where fardy has been that solid consistent in our front five during the whole PRO14 season
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Maybe.
Certainly surprising to see no back make it all, despite us blowing the league out of the water.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote: September 9th, 2020, 3:24 pm Maybe.
Certainly surprising to see no back make it all, despite us blowing the league out of the water.
Must be some team.

Years ago they used to do computer predictions on boxing matches Joe Louis v Ali for example.
Would be interesting to see what a computer prediction would come up with a Leinster v Best of the Rest.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Taking that fardy could be on his last contract, I hope we are allowed to bring in another senior player from Southern Hemisphere to continue the great work and tradition that has been set up for our teams.

With that being said who would you pick to be the next brad Thorne, Hines, Elsom and now fardy of Leinster?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Theleinsterlad wrote: September 9th, 2020, 6:37 pm Taking that fardy could be on his last contract, I hope we are allowed to bring in another senior player from Southern Hemisphere to continue the great work and tradition that has been set up for our teams.

With that being said who would you pick to be the next brad Thorne, Hines, Elsom and now fardy of Leinster?
I can't see it in the short term given the likely financial hit leinster will be taking.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 9th, 2020, 6:59 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: September 9th, 2020, 6:37 pm Taking that fardy could be on his last contract, I hope we are allowed to bring in another senior player from Southern Hemisphere to continue the great work and tradition that has been set up for our teams.

I can't see it in the short term given the likely financial hit leinster will be taking.
Don't think it makes sense given existing options either tbh. An NIQ would add value while internationals are away if squad options weren't good enough, but Molony (experienced) and Dunne (physical) would be there with the other current academy players knocking around as well. If Charlie Ryan can become a real lineout expert he could be a valuable player. We saw the difference Toner made from one Munster game to the next.

The first choice matchday squad would be very strong with Ryan, Toner and Baird.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Hard to project how long Toner will play on, hopefully at least one more season after his current contract ends in 2021.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 9th, 2020, 7:24 pm Hard to project how long Toner will play on, hopefully at least one more season after his current contract ends in 2021.
He's playing well at the moment and second rows tend to have the longest careers of any position in the game – Simon Shaw was still playing for Toulon in 2013 as a 39 year old.

We won't need Dev to go that far, but we won't be quick to hand him his retirement papers either. He's a huge man at 211cm and 127kg and his lineout abilities are world class – he's genuinely one of the best lineout forwards in the world. He's also one of the most diligent, work-seeking players in the Leinster set-up.

Obviously we have the best player in Ireland in James Ryan, and are stacked with size and talent down the ranks with Baird, Dunne, Ryan, Deeny and McCarthy coming into the mix, so we are in a very strong position. Ross Molony is also a hard-nosed competitor and very reliable at Pro14 level. He's made 96 appearance for Leinster at 26 years old, and like James Tracy is a bit of an undervalued footsoldier.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

All true Hugo. Depending on the financial position it might not matter.

If the cuts are severe enough, he'll be affected.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote: September 9th, 2020, 10:07 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: September 9th, 2020, 7:24 pm Hard to project how long Toner will play on, hopefully at least one more season after his current contract ends in 2021.
He's playing well at the moment and second rows tend to have the longest careers of any position in the game – Simon Shaw was still playing for Toulon in 2013 as a 39 year old.

We won't need Dev to go that far, but we won't be quick to hand him his retirement papers either. He's a huge man at 211cm and 127kg and his lineout abilities are world class – he's genuinely one of the best lineout forwards in the world. He's also one of the most diligent, work-seeking players in the Leinster set-up.

Obviously we have the best player in Ireland in James Ryan, and are stacked with size and talent down the ranks with Baird, Dunne, Ryan, Deeny and McCarthy coming into the mix, so we are in a very strong position. Ross Molony is also a hard-nosed competitor and very reliable at Pro14 level. He's made 96 appearance for Leinster at 26 years old, and like James Tracy is a bit of an undervalued footsoldier.
I don't think anyone is rushing to see Toner call it a day.. just wonder how long he plans to continue given he only signed a 1 year deal this summer.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Wouldn't be rushing out to pick up some SH lock given the resources we have coming through. For every Thorne, Hines or Fardy there's a Finnegan, Sykes or Douglas.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

ChrisUppy wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:37 am

Wouldn't be rushing out to pick up some SH lock given the resources we have coming through. For every Thorne, Hines or Fardy there's a Finnegan, Sykes or Douglas.
Yes while I agree that the conveyor belt of talent we have coming through is fantastic there are two reasons why it’s good bringing in a player 1. All our academy players are from the same small gene pool - widening that scope is always a positive thing 2. A senior leader within the squad while the internationals are away has been proved to have a very positive and learning exp. for our younger players and that really should not be discounted in the culture of the squad that’s been created in Leinster. Finances may hamper this but I think it would be a mistake
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Toner will be around the squad while the internationals are away along with Molony.

A signing to replace Fardy will not be needed.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think our bigger need for a potential NIQ at the moment isn't in the pack but in the outside backs.

With Lowe not IQ and RK/Ferg retiring we're losing a lot of experience there.

Someone on here mentioned David Havil'i as a potential recruit before. I think a player of his profile (capped but just below being a starting All Black, loads of experience and can play centre and 15) would be brilliant. Can't see it happening albeit given the tightening budgets and the talent coming through.

Come to think of it, we had a player who had a very similar to that before, and he did pretty well...
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Theleinsterlad wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:46 am
ChrisUppy wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:37 am

Yes while I agree that the conveyor belt of talent we have coming through is fantastic there are two reasons why it’s good bringing in a player 1. All our academy players are from the same small gene pool - widening that scope is always a positive thing 2. A senior leader within the squad while the internationals are away has been proved to have a very positive and learning exp. for our younger players and that really should not be discounted in the culture of the squad that’s been created in Leinster. Finances may hamper this but I think it would be a mistake
I get that. I have said before that Leinster should be constructing bunk beds in the Fardy family's spare room to open up the Leinster nursery for blindsides and locks. I just don't think any recruit is as guaranteed to have the impact of the players you name, as evidenced by some of the duds we've gotten with similar profile.

Better use of a NIQ spot elsewhere in my opinion.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Theleinsterlad wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:46 am 1. All our academy players are from the same small gene pool - widening that scope is always a positive thing
It’s hard to express just how weird a comment that is.