Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by blockhead »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 5th, 2020, 6:42 pm Image
even if he argues the wasps player dipped into the tackle...which he does, ever so slightly....we're talking millimetres here.....I cannot see anything other than a mid range ban.
he has form for this but not many red cards (I think) unlike dylan hartley who has lots for dirty play.
Ah yes, but.
Time off for, previous good record, Captain of the chariot, playing the paddies next week, the chocolate hob nobs etc.
1 week ban.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

“We know Owen is not that kind of player”

Is he talking about some other guy named Owen?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He literally is exactly "that type of player". He's a proven track record of high, late, no arms, and clotheslines in his past which the RFU have treated with extraordinary leniency akin to certain interpro incidents in Ireland. TBH I really would prefer he was playing against us just as I think the game needs it.

But that was a rotten cheap shot on a kid, really was, and if you keep on keeping on finding excuses for what he does it only escalates. He really has a whole shedload of free pases at this stage.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

blockhead wrote: September 5th, 2020, 6:58 pm
MylesNaGapoleen wrote: September 5th, 2020, 6:42 pm Image
even if he argues the wasps player dipped into the tackle...which he does, ever so slightly....we're talking millimetres here.....I cannot see anything other than a mid range ban.
he has form for this but not many red cards (I think) unlike dylan hartley who has lots for dirty play.
Ah yes, but.
Time off for, previous good record, Captain of the chariot, playing the paddies next week, the chocolate hob nobs etc.
1 week ban.
Not disagreeing, you maybe right, but it could also be argued that he is a prime "make an example" candidate for rugby union to send out a message about unacceptable tackling. he is english rugbys poster boy.

let's see. we will find out wednesday.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Won’t be surprised if they say due to his record he will get the low end 2 week ban that will be reduced to 1 week due to the fact that the prem is playing Prem games twice a week at the mo due to Covid - sorted and available for both the champions cup and England internationals.

As a parent with kids playing rugby it will disgust me if that happens for our sport, the guy he hit is an academy player that has just come up and literally that tackle could have 1. Finished his career or 2. Caused long term illness/disability. It was totally wreckless he wanted to hurt the guy with a power tackle that he had no control of and there was f all dipping going on by Atkinson
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Theleinsterlad wrote: September 5th, 2020, 7:24 pm Won’t be surprised if they say due to his record he will get the low end 2 week ban that will be reduced to 1 week due to the fact that the prem is playing Prem games twice a week at the mo due to Covid - sorted and available for both the champions cup and England internationals.

As a parent with kids playing rugby it will disgust me if that happens for our sport, the guy he hit is an academy player that has just come up and literally that tackle could have 1. Finished his career or 2. Caused long term illness/disability. It was totally wreckless he wanted to hurt the guy with a power tackle that he had no control of and there was f all dipping going on by Atkinson
agree 100% about the dipping. I think I mentioned that there was a slight deviation in the wasps player going into the tackle....which is no excuse but I can see them using that arguing that as a mitigating factor. I also agree about the possibility they will be lenient on farrell....I don't think they will. what better "example" rugby union could make but to heavily penalise english rugbys poster boy.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

The dipping excuse, if they use it, is complete horseshit. Regardless of how much he dipped, Farrell went clean over the wasps players shoulder and nearly took his head off. There was no way he was shoulder level at any stage of his tackle. Farrell should have the stones to hold his hands up, clearly state there was no excuse, and take the ban
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Wouldn't be surprised if he only got one week. Stuff like that has happened before - O'Connell avoiding a citing after kicking a prone player in the head because Munster had a big game against Clermont coming up springs to mind. Suppose it was easier to brush that one under the carpet because he somehow avoided getting sent off. It's going to be hard to mitigate the Farrell one down to only one week with it having been acknowledged as a clearcut red card already.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

The only defence I can see for Farrell is that the player stepped towards him. He could say he was on top of him before he expected it. Not much of an excuse, though.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

leinsterforever wrote: September 5th, 2020, 11:53 pm The only defence I can see for Farrell is that the player stepped towards him. He could say he was on top of him before he expected it. Not much of an excuse, though.
It's kinda similar to Hartley's smack to the side of Sean O'Briens head a few years back v Northampton. Although Farrell does it at much higher speed. The then England captain got a straight red but I cant remember what sanction followed.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinsterforever wrote: September 5th, 2020, 11:53 pm The only defence I can see for Farrell is that the player stepped towards him. He could say he was on top of him before he expected it. Not much of an excuse, though.
It was a blindside hit. Guy had no opportunity to defend himself and didnt see it coming and Farrell was coming in hard and high to do maximum damage. It was a swinging arm that was supposed to have enough wrap that he'd get away with it.

Even if it was mistimed he's at fault for attempting a high risk and unnecessary tackle.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

leinsterforever wrote: September 5th, 2020, 11:49 pm Wouldn't be surprised if he only got one week. Stuff like that has happened before - O'Connell avoiding a citing after kicking a prone player in the head because Munster had a big game against Clermont coming up springs to mind. Suppose it was easier to brush that one under the carpet because he somehow avoided getting sent off. It's going to be hard to mitigate the Farrell one down to only one week with it having been acknowledged as a clearcut red card already.
"I was going for the ball ref"
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

leinsterforever wrote:The only defence I can see for Farrell is that the player stepped towards him. He could say he was on top of him before he expected it. Not much of an excuse, though.
Something similar happened Rob Kearney (i think) a couple of seasons back whereby Steff Evans stumbled immediately before contact and Kearney’s chest caught his head. It didnt do him any good, and it was far more pronounced than this
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

NOTE: Between the citing panel decision and the QF, Saracens have 2 league games. So a 2 match ban will see him available for the qf.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

blockhead wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:05 am NOTE: Between the citing panel decision and the QF, Saracens have 2 league games. So a 2 match ban will see him available for the qf.
Bans are in weeks not matches though right? Or has this changed?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

With reference to the game itself.
It's rugby and as we should all be well aware.
Rugby games are won by forwards and the backs only decide by how much, except when exceptional players are involved.
Farrell as good a player as he is, is not a game changer in the manner of a Brian O'Driscoll for example or Lomu.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:07 am
blockhead wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:05 am NOTE: Between the citing panel decision and the QF, Saracens have 2 league games. So a 2 match ban will see him available for the qf.
Bans are in weeks not matches though right? Or has this changed?
TBH, not sure. But that game was an early kick-off so technically......
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:07 am With reference to the game itself.
Rugby games are won by forwards and the backs only decide by how much, except when exceptional players are involved.
Farrell as good a player as he is, is not a game changer in the manner of a Brian O'Driscoll for example or Lomu.
Farrell is one of the best players on the planet.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

When he's not tackling like a tramp, he is. The best players in the world didn't resort to that kind of stuff. He's been hitting people illegally for years and his national team coach encourages it. He should have been red carded on numerous occasions but always gets away with it because he's England rugby's golden child. Personally I would rather him play against us so when we beat them, they wont have any excuses and just to see his face when we gain revenge for last year.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschool wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:07 am With reference to the game itself.
He absolutely is a game changer in that manner.

https://youtu.be/bH0Wx1irhL0?t=1094
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles