Super rugby 2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Super rugby 2020

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Bit of a niche market but starting this up in case anybody keeping an eye on these games. Standout story of week 1... the jaguares, smashing a decent lions side; and the sunwolves (with a mix of nationalities and including a Leinster alumnus), starting pretty much where japan left off. Garth April looks a fun player for them.

Rob Penny has his hands full with the Waratahs and they look like could struggle through no particular fault of his. I’m really enjoying the job Brad Thorn is doing with the reds but they just can’t get over the finishing line at times. Same story in Auckland, but Beauden Barrett coming in could swing some of their close defeats the other way.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Super rugby 2020

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought there was a slight move back towards structure and physicality over the last few years but the Crusaders game really was just a big game of tip. Leicester Fainga'anuku though...wow! Not only has he got frightening pace and power, but he's hungry in defence and even looked to steal balls on the deck.

That's the only one I've managed to see so far. The Blues game didn't record for me for some reason (have it downloaded though) which has been a common occurrence on Sky over the last year or two, and even the Crusaders game didn't record properly because the basketball ran over so missed the first 20 minutes.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Yeah the Crusaders have another great player there. He’ll get game time because Crotty is gone, so looks like Ennor will be in the centre. They don’t look much weaker for it. Young Waratahs winger also impressed. He’s still u20 this year I think.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ennor is great, should have been at the World Cup IMO.

That Waratahs winger was dangerous and finished brilliantly but his defence was brutal. Still very young though of course.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Angus Bell is some talent for the Waratahs. Only turned 19 in October but is built like a tank and is exceptionally quick and powerful. Runs great lines too but didn't pay much attention to his scrummaging. Will Harrison looks a big talent at ten as well, his long flat passes and ability to choose the right option to put someone through a gap is pretty special.

The Rob Penney coached Waratahs certainly looked like they knew what they were doing in attack with his approach to get forwards running down the sideline.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Good Win for the blues against the stormers this weekend and the jaguars pasted the bulls

The aussie teams look stronger this year which is good for the game as a whole

I'll be rooting for wakiato this year. I see Gatland had got off to a great start until the brumbies beat them last weekend so hopefully he can sort that out for this weekends game. Have to say the crusaders looking strong and anyone who beats them will proably win it

Ive only just seen Hore has left NSW as ceo and gone to the blues, not sure how he has managed to get so many high profile jobs in rugby must have learnt a lot from that other bs merchant scott johnson
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Bulls are awful.

They got cleared out after RWC. Steyn at 10 is a roadblock for creativity and Specman is a huge liability in most things that aren't broken field running.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Bell looks like an international player alright. I like Harry Wilson who has played 8 for the reds too. So far am more impressed with Loselsio at 10 for Brumbies than Harrison, but it’s early days and the Brumbies pack has been giving him a reasonable ride.

There’s more promise coming out of Australia than for a while though. Tupou is a stand out tight head at 24 and the Waratahs looked the part when they added a bit of north-south to the wide-wise stuff they’ve been trying. That’s the old criticism of Penny and I would partly agree with it, but if they can get that balance right then they could do something. I’d be pretty impressed if they do though - I’m not sure it’s a great squad.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Chiefs have lost Retallick and they just can’t replace that. Has got to take its toll as it goes on, but really looking forward to seeing Jacobsen and Cane play together.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The Sharks number 8 and the their back three are all incredible athletes, lethal with ball in hand. I know he won the World Cup and had a great final but I've only just begun to appreciate how good Am is. He's obviously a great athlete and skillful but he's a really smart player too, knits everything together and is a leader too.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Further to promising Aussies...Fraser McReight getting some game time yesterday with Queensland. Followers of u20s will be aware of him as an exceptional prospect from that level. Impressive against the crusaders in a match they could and possibly should have won. Puts his body on the line to the extreme, which will be hard to sustain mind you. Really like that reds team, but they just can’t get the wins yet.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

What is it with SR teams and many players refusing the bother trying to touch down nearer the posts?

Van Wyk preferring to dot in corner then gesture in front of camera in corner being a prime example this weekend.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Morf wrote:What is it with SR teams and many players refusing the bother trying to touch down nearer the posts?

Van Wyk preferring to dot in corner then gesture in front of camera in corner being a prime example this weekend.
I notice that as well and it always reminds me of playing tip.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Waikato were brilliant this weekend putting 50 points on nsw in aus with hooper and beale playing

The brumbies are going well to,they looked nailed on to win that conference
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

That reds team - an entire pack in their early 20s and missing Rodda. They go 17 nil down. And go on to win by about 20. Say what you want about the bulls, who yes were really poor after Strauss went off; but that is impressive. Brad Thorn is heading up a serious operation there. They’ve lost their best player from last season - Kerevi - but the collective with them is brilliant and it’s essentially kids they are doing it with. Their few veterans are in the backline and it’s great to see genuine development like that. Liam Wright was particularly good today, but it’s the togetherness that impresses most. I love watching them and hope that’s a corner turned for them in squeezing out wins.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Super Rugby will be suspended after this round

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/sanzaar- ... lOfxsk2LDD

“Following a SANZAAR Executive Committee (EXCO) teleconference in response to the announcement by the New Zealand Government that all returning travellers will have to self-isolate for 14 days, including Super Rugby players, SANZAAR believes it has no option but to suspend the 2020 Super Rugby tournament at the conclusion of this weekend’s matches for the foreseeable future.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Twist wrote:Super Rugby will be suspended after this round

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/sanzaar- ... lOfxsk2LDD

“Following a SANZAAR Executive Committee (EXCO) teleconference in response to the announcement by the New Zealand Government that all returning travellers will have to self-isolate for 14 days, including Super Rugby players, SANZAAR believes it has no option but to suspend the 2020 Super Rugby tournament at the conclusion of this weekend’s matches for the foreseeable future.”
So that's it. No more first-class rugby now scheduled anywhere before 29th March.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Shite!

I really think that this situation should lead to a complete overhaul of the competitions around the world. They already needed it and this should be a catalyst. Reduce the number of countries involved in different tournaments and the need for travel, and not just for logistics but climate change as well, both because we should all be doing our part and because the weather will likely lead to more postponements.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

How would you restructure it, if you had all the power?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

UK and Ireland league.
The Italians join up with the French.
The Super Rugby teams have a domestic block first and then there's a knockout phase with all of the countries together, still including Japan and ideally with a Pacific Island team.

Lots more to consider but that's what I'd start with.