Ireland u20 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland u20 2020

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That'll do it! Tom Ahern has been brilliant, had a great turnover a loose ball a few minutes ago that really saved us.

That English number 8 is incredibly poor. All the size and power in the world but completely ineffective and has made at least 5 terrible errors.
Agree on both. First time I'd seen Ahern play, really impressed.

That monster 8 slowed down going into contact. Fancy footwork doesn't do much if you stop and wait to be hit. He could be a much better player if he wanted to be.
He strikes me as the kind of guy who they'll try and turn into a tighthead or second row at some stage. With respect to all the tightheads and second rows out there he just has no nous or footballing ability. They should ring whoever improved Will Skelton's game. Sorry to be so harsh on the guy but I've never seen a number 8 let 4 (could have been five, one camera angle wasn't clear) let five balls go by them in the scrum and I'm still not over it.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Anybody know if there is a link to this? Even highlights? Also anyone know where there is highlights to the U20's Wales/Ireland game?
Ireland v Wales U20 is on https://www.rugbylist.ws
I tried to register with two emails but never got a confirmation email.

Is there a trick to it?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland u20 2020

Post by Twist »

Morf wrote:
blockhead wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Anybody know if there is a link to this? Even highlights? Also anyone know where there is highlights to the U20's Wales/Ireland game?
Ireland v Wales U20 is on https://www.rugbylist.ws
I tried to register with two emails but never got a confirmation email.

Is there a trick to it?
I just registered this morning. The confirmation mail went to my junk folder
Last edited by Twist on February 25th, 2020, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Would the Ireland u20 match against Italy be canceled ?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Sean O'Brien seems very adept at drawing and passing. He's just who you want as second last man if there's a man extra.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

leinsterforever wrote:Sean O'Brien seems very adept at drawing and passing. He's just who you want as second last man if there's a man extra.
Very unlike Sean O'Brien
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Anybody think that the Irish 20's could prepare for their game against France by playing a warm-up against the Irish Club team on Mar 7th. Its a closed day for AIL and Club team were successful against Scotland and aren't a "Scratch" team?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

U20 WC is in Northern Italy so that's gotta be in doubt.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

in terms of completing this years 6 Nations, if - say - the postponed games are played in the autumn, is there a danger of some of the team having aged out in the interim?
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote:in terms of completing this years 6 Nations, if - say - the postponed games are played in the autumn, is there a danger of some of the team having aged out in the interim?
The IRFU tend to re-start the age groups at the beginning of the NH season even though the eligibility runs on the calendar year. Eligibility for the U-20's in 2020 is anyone born on or after 1 Jan 2000 and, to the best of my knowledge that lasts for the full year rather than just to the end of the JWC.

Practically, I suspect that if the fixture can't be re-arranged for before the JWC it won't happen at all.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

cormac wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:in terms of completing this years 6 Nations, if - say - the postponed games are played in the autumn, is there a danger of some of the team having aged out in the interim?
The IRFU tend to re-start the age groups at the beginning of the NH season even though the eligibility runs on the calendar year. Eligibility for the U-20's in 2020 is anyone born on or after 1 Jan 2000 and, to the best of my knowledge that lasts for the full year rather than just to the end of the JWC.

Practically, I suspect that if the fixture can't be re-arranged for before the JWC it won't happen at all.
Agreed. If they cant re-arrange it soon they will call it a 0-0 draw and move on I'd say.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Was watching against the head last night on rte player (it actually worked!... for 20 min) and they had a segment with Nucifora on the U20s. He mentioned how last years group were the first to come through the player development pathway they put in place in 2016. The goal was to get younger players more prepared for professional rugby by identifying them younger and giving them access to better coaching.

It might shed some light on the performance of the current U20s (17 tries in 3 games). Its not the only factor but interesting.

Here's an article from 2016
https://www.the42.ie/david-nucifora-irf ... 3-Jun2016/
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Flights to italy not cancelled yet the U20 match was called off.

I see Benetton played in Wales tonight too.

Wales beat england 23 to 22. England scored 4 tries to 2 but the kicking was the difference.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

dropkick wrote:Flights to italy not cancelled yet the U20 match was called off.

Wales beat england 23 to 22. England scored 4 tries to 2 but the kicking was the difference.
Looks odd alright but if they call off the big game then the Womens and U20s will follow.

Benetton in Newport does seem strange on the face of it.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote:
dropkick wrote:Flights to italy not cancelled yet the U20 match was called off.

Looks odd alright but if they call off the big game then the Womens and U20s will follow.

Benetton in Newport does seem strange on the face of it.
Think Newport doesn't see worse than Corona virus every Saturday night? :shock:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Am I right in saying that a win or draw in France next week will clinch the title even without playing Italy?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Any idea where Dan Kelly is likely to end up? Having a great championship
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm guessing the 20's game is cancelled too? With northern Italy being officially shut down it's hard to see the JWC going ahead and at this stage there's so much uncertainty and the virus is spreading so rapidly that I can't imagine it'll be moved anywhere.

I've no issue with things being cancelled and there are certainly more important things going on but this really does suck for the team. They had a real chance of a grand slam and of winning the JWC, hopefully they'll still get a shot at it.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm guessing the 20's game is cancelled too? With northern Italy being officially shut down it's hard to see the JWC going ahead and at this stage there's so much uncertainty and the virus is spreading so rapidly that I can't imagine it'll be moved anywhere.

I've no issue with things being cancelled and there are certainly more important things going on but this really does suck for the team. They had a real chance of a grand slam and of winning the JWC, hopefully they'll still get a shot at it.

Decision has yet to be made. They should play it in front of the 1000 crowd that's allowed because I don't think there will be a chance to play it again. The French usually get big attendances for these matches so might want to rearrange it.