Ireland v. Italy - Sat 07 March 14.15

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I thought this thread may as well get started since the England post-mortem will morph into looking ahead to this anyway.

I wouldn’t want a complete overhaul of personnel, but we need to see the players who’ve been putting their hand up get their chance alongside the stalworths.

Assuming no injury enforced changes Id like to see Doris, Cooney and Kelleher start. I don’t think Stockdale is one of our best two wingers on current form. Healy’s been fine but Kilcoyne needs experience of starting. Deegan deserves a bench spot too. On the bench in general, I wouldnt want it to be too inexperienced.

I’d have Rhys starting but obviously that’s not happening, so;

1. Kilcoyne
2. Kelleher
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. Ryan
6. Stander
7. VDF
8. Doris

9. Cooney
10. Sexton

11. Conway
12. Aki
13. Henshaw
14. Earls
15. Larmour

16. Herring
17. Healy
18. Porter
19. Toner
20. Deegan
21. Murray
22. Byrne
23. Addison

More than personnel changes though, we need some fluency. We’ve still got lads recieving the ball in ststic positions, and backs setting off on runs with no-one running trailers behind them.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland v. Italy - Sat 07 March 14.15

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Firstly, let's figure out how many of the Italian players come from the Lombardy area and wherever else is under quarantine
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Firstly, let's figure out how many of the Italian players come from the Lombardy area and wherever else is under quarantine
Aren’t most of them South African and Australian ??
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It sounds like this might be called off but the team I'd go for is...

Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Porter
Henderson, Ryan
CJ, Connors, Doris

Cooney, Sexton

Aki, Henshaw

Earls, Conway, Addison

Heffernan, Jack McGrath, Furlong, Dillane, Deegan, Luke McGrath, Ross Byrne, Balacoune

It won't happen in a million years but Italy have been nilled in two games so I don't think there's much value in not changing things significantly. I don't particularly want to see Johnny or Aki either but you can't change everyone and I don't think the alternatives are worth trying unless Ringrose made a miraculous recovery.

I'd bring Larmour and Josh back in for the France game though. Not sure about Murray, really think we need to see if Luke can get forwards running onto the ball like he does with Leinster. That's obviously a tactical thing as well though.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Cian Healy is out for the remainder of the 6 Nations

And to prove the Union's commitment to gender equality, Lindsay Peat will miss the remainder of the 6 Nations
I have Bumbleflex
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Dave Cahill wrote:Cian Healy is out for the remainder of the 6 Nations

And to prove the Union's commitment to gender equality, Lindsay Peat will miss the remainder of the 6 Nations
lets hope that cap # 100 comes soon - was looking forward to seeing him lead the team out in Paris.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Government to advise IRFU to call off match due to corona virus (6.1 News).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Everything will be cancelled soon enough. Was hoping the 6N was able to finish.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

dropkick wrote:Everything will be cancelled soon enough. Was hoping the 6N was able to finish.
Surely not letting over any Italian supporters would be the easy solution no?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Pilotman123 wrote:
dropkick wrote:Everything will be cancelled soon enough. Was hoping the 6N was able to finish.

That's what I thought but maybe they don't want anyone from italy coming though I presume there are plane loads coming every day..
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

dropkick wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:

That's what I thought but maybe they don't want anyone from italy coming though I presume there are plane loads coming every day..
Given the number of cases of the virus which will only rise over the next couple of weeks, the only sensible option is to postpone it?
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

I hope it doesn’t come to Ireland
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Pilotman123 wrote:
Symptoms don't show for 2-3 weeks, but you can be a carrier during that period and the virus can be transmitted during that period. So 40 people get on the plane with one infected, get off the plane with two infected and then pass through the airport. It would be 2 weeks before we'd see an infection directly related to them arriving here and they'd be gone back well before then. I think they need to lock everywhere down now, tbh.
WHO reckon they're 18 months from a cure so isolation/quarantine and environmental the two likeliest ways to prevent spread.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Is there anything planned to stop Italian fans from traveling anyway? Kind of pointless otherwise.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Peg Leg wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:
Symptoms don't show for 2-3 weeks, but you can be a carrier during that period and the virus can be transmitted during that period. So 40 people get on the plane with one infected, get off the plane with two infected and then pass through the airport. It would be 2 weeks before we'd see an infection directly related to them arriving here and they'd be gone back well before then. I think they need to lock everywhere down now, tbh.
WHO reckon they're 18 months from a cure so isolation/quarantine and environmental the two likeliest ways to prevent spread.
Yeah fair
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

paddyor wrote:Is there anything planned to stop Italian fans from traveling anyway? Kind of pointless otherwise.
Fishing Nets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZSzava5Fk
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

They should close all airports for the next 2-3 weeks and when they find everybody who has the virus they should be isolated away from society and not allowed to leave the country for the next 18 months
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Their game v. England must be in serious jeopardy too. I feel really sorry for Parisse!

Actually, northern Italy is obviously very close to France. Given the incubation period, its not at all hard to see our game in Paris also being postponed if there’s outbreaks there too. Or here, for that matter
Last edited by Twist on February 26th, 2020, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

IRFU have almost certainly asked for meeting with Minister for Health in order to get a precise reason for cancellation of the game - related directly to multiple insurance claims by a wide variety of parties, including Italian fans.

It would have been far more sensible if Harris had made contact with the IRFU before he raced to the media for the 6.01 News last night. A phone call or meeting with Philip Browne would have resulted in a carefully worded statement which covered cancellation and optimised Insurance Claims.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

With some time for cold logical thought, the Government announcement of the postponement of this match may be a bad decision. A far more logical solution would have been to announce the cancellation of all flights from Italy. The key is that this will be a postponement and not a cancellation of the fixture and this has significant insurance implications.

If Italian fans decide to keep their plans to travel to Ireland, having probably already spent €750- €1,500 already on flights, hotels and match tickets, quite often without any insurance, this will present an equivalent risk to the spread of Covid 19.

Medical logic suggests that groups of Italian fans in pubs and hotels around Dublin are every bit as dangerous a threat in spreading any virus as those gathered in an open-air stadium with low ambient temperatures.

Was this a political headline-chasing exercise without adequate thought?