A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

SaS
Bookworm

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Post by SaS »

Workhorse wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
cormac wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to have a three-side permanent structure with a removable stand at the southern end of the ground and still accommodate the horse-show?
It would be in keeping with Dublins other three-quarter stadia!
Croker, Tallaght, Lansdowne, all with the north end being the outlier end which is some coincidence.
Tallaght Stadium will have a fourth stand next season and that will finish off a very neat ground...
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
curates_egg wrote: The new build was very controversial if I am not mistaken. Didn't DC United (the Indonesian billionaire) get loads of tax credits and the right to build hotels, shops and restaurants on the site that the public authority purchased?
Thank god our republic is not that banana!
Massive amount of tax credits were doled out.

American sport has somehow managed to convince legislators that a new stadium will increase the tax take for their city, create jobs, renew neighbourhoods etc. In reality they don't. People have a finite budget for entertainment and money generated by the new stadium is money lost elsewhere, jobs aren't created, they're merely transferred and neighbourhoods don't get renewed, they get gentrified - often destroying existing communities.
Gentrification doesn’t destroy existing communities, age, economic development and nimbyism does.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Seemingly there is an announcement of some major sports capital grants today. I wonder will RDS feature with an election around the corner.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

€10m announced from Shane Ross..... what's that i hear the sounds of an election??

https://www.the42.ie/grants-fai-rugby-l ... 1-Jan2020/
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

RDS get 10m of 46m cost

Connacht got 10m of 30mil cost

Munster got 1.5 of 2.8m cost

Thought Lord Ross looked after his own?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

locho wrote:€10m announced from Shane Ross..... what's that i hear the sounds of an election??

https://www.the42.ie/grants-fai-rugby-l ... 1-Jan2020/
Maybe, but still leaves RDS / Leinster / IRFU with about €7-9m to find to meet the projected costs. Given that IRFU have just blown the Newlands proceeds on buying the Office block they occupy in Lansdowne Road, it looks like they will have to dip straight into the 10-year ticket sales income.

It looks like all three parties believed in the tooth fairy.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:RDS get 10m of 46m cost

Connacht got 10m of 30mil cost

Munster got 1.5 of 2.8m cost

Thought Lord Ross looked after his own?
Lets tell him Leinster is a private school
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The indication this morning that Connacht got a further "special" €10m because of pressure from local TDs should mean that the IRFU reconsider their own allocations. Leinster has proven they can fill their stadium for every game but need to replace a stand which is past it's safe usage date. Local politicians have to be canvassed strongly on the doorsteps in the coming weeks.

No difficulty with Connacht funding but proven success must be worth something.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The indication this morning that Connacht got a further "special" €10m because of pressure from local TDs should mean that the IRFU reconsider their own allocations. Leinster has proven they can fill their stadium for every game but need to replace a stand which is past it's safe usage date. Local politicians have to be canvassed strongly on the doorsteps in the coming weeks.

We absolutely do not fill the RDS for every game. The stats that came out last week for the P14 had us on average at about 75% capacity so far this season. Given we are a capital city with infrastructure set up to easily enable people from all over the province get to the stadium we really arent doing as well as we could be. Munsters average attendance isnt too far behind us and theyve had a couple of games in the 8k seater IIP which will lower their average. Ulster are about the same as us in terms of their average. Connacht are down at just over 6k, a little under half our average.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yeah the elephant in the room for Leinster (and particularly the marketing team) is that our attendances aren't actually great when you put them in context.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

molloyjh wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:The indication this morning that Connacht got a further "special" €10m because of pressure from local TDs should mean that the IRFU reconsider their own allocations. Leinster has proven they can fill their stadium for every game but need to replace a stand which is past it's safe usage date. Local politicians have to be canvassed strongly on the doorsteps in the coming weeks.

We absolutely do not fill the RDS for every game. The stats that came out last week for the P14 had us on average at about 75% capacity so far this season. Given we are a capital city with infrastructure set up to easily enable people from all over the province get to the stadium we really arent doing as well as we could be. Munsters average attendance isnt too far behind us and theyve had a couple of games in the 8k seater IIP which will lower their average. Ulster are about the same as us in terms of their average. Connacht are down at just over 6k, a little under half our average.
A better RDS, roof over both ends, new Anglesea stand with terrace and corporate boxes etc would increase the attendance and revenue.

Also, Leinster count those who turn up, Munster count tickets sold.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Interesting to hear Keyne on OTBAM this morning saying that the reason that Connacht got the extra €10m was that the IRFU wouldn't engage with them (the politicians) and that they didn't believe there was a willingness in the IRFU to fund the rest of the stadium. I wonder is this related to the Newlands money decision and also could we be in a similar position in trying to get IRFU to fund RDS? Might help explain some of the delay's to date.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

blockhead wrote:Also, Leinster count those who turn up
Very much doubt that.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

A better RDS, roof over both ends, new Anglesea stand with terrace and corporate boxes etc would increase the attendance and revenue.

Also, Leinster count those who turn up, Munster count tickets sold.
Exactly, it's about more than attendances, it's the ability to earn via corporate and other matchday activity. Plus of course the stand sponsorship.

As an aside, we are by far the best supported club in the Champions Cup, next biggest average gates (Munster) are more than 10k behind us and last year we were by far the best supported club in the Pro 14.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Logorrhea wrote:
Very much doubt that.
They certainly count only those who turn up at the RDS as they've had crowds that are lower than the number of season tickets sold on numerous occasions in recent seasons.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Maybe they are more honest, I certainly don't know the truth of it myself, but I've sat in a half empty RDS and had them shout out figures of 14,000+ as an attendance.

I'm dubious but open to correction.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
Very much doubt that.
They certainly count only those who turn up at the RDS as they've had crowds that are lower than the number of season tickets sold on numerous occasions in recent seasons.
I don't know if this is still true or if it was a constant thing, but I know they've guessed the number in the past and been...generous.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Logorrhea wrote:Maybe they are more honest, I certainly don't know the truth of it myself, but I've sat in a half empty RDS and had them shout out figures of 14,000+ as an attendance.

I'm dubious but open to correction.
It certainly used to be like that but it changed from the start of the 15/16 season. Used to be all tickets sold (incl. season tickets) but it's certainly not that anymore. Already this season they've announced at least two attendances that were lower than the number of season tickets sold for the season. (Ospreys - 11,259 and Dragons - 10,568)
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

locho wrote:Interesting to hear Keyne on OTBAM this morning saying that the reason that Connacht got the extra €10m was that the IRFU wouldn't engage with them (the politicians) and that they didn't believe there was a willingness in the IRFU to fund the rest of the stadium. I wonder is this related to the Newlands money decision and also could we be in a similar position in trying to get IRFU to fund RDS? Might help explain some of the delay's to date.
Thought Ger's line of argument was total BS.

IRFU don't keep cash reserves ready to go. If they were helping Connacht it would be backing loans and helping to arrange better interest terms. There's no account with €10 million + waiting for a cheque to be written. The Newlands money went in to their office building to give them a more consistent financial future by eliminating risk of rent fluctuation/losing the property.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

cormac wrote:it's certainly not that anymore. Already this season they've announced at least two attendances that were lower than the number of season tickets sold for the season. (Ospreys - 11,259 and Dragons - 10,568)
Cool. Fair play. I stand corrected.