Ex-Leinster players

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd love to know what went wrong for him, he's been struggling for over three years now. I'm surprised because I've heard stories about how dedicated he always was and he seems like a popular guy so can't imagine it's an attitude thing.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd love to know what went wrong for him, he's been struggling for over three years now. I'm surprised because I've heard stories about how dedicated he always was and he seems like a popular guy so can't imagine it's an attitude thing.
Maybe he's not quite as good as assumed - or, at least, not as good outside a particular environment. This is two clubs in a row where he has struggled. Could be unfortunate. But I would have thought the Pat Lam style would have suited him
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

The Doc wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd love to know what went wrong for him, he's been struggling for over three years now. I'm surprised because I've heard stories about how dedicated he always was and he seems like a popular guy so can't imagine it's an attitude thing.
Maybe he's not quite as good as assumed - or, at least, not as good outside a particular environment. This is two clubs in a row where he has struggled. Could be unfortunate. But I would have thought the Pat Lam style would have suited him
I've a load of time for Madser. He always brought a positive attitude to Leinster and Ireland, and he gave us some absolutely outstanding moments - his play under Joe Schmidt between 2011-13 especially was out of the top drawer. Schmidt influenced his development to an enormous extent; he tuned up every aspect of his performance, as though he only had one player to concentrate on and not an entire squad.

He has never been as good under another coach. To me, it is an example of what a great coach Schmidt is, but I'd argue that it also shows that Madigan thrives in structure [like most players, in my opinion]. Leinster's play deteriorated to an enormous extent under O'Connor. Madigan's did, but so did that of Jimmy Gopperth. Andy Dunne said recently on the 42's Rugby Weekly podcast that O'Connor thought that the Leinster players were all too conditioned to instruction and couldn't play what was in front of them, but to me that's a weak argument. It would be fascinating to hear what he [O'Connor] has to say about his time in charge here, if he still holds to the belief that his second season collapse was down to outside elements [players departing, international selection restrictions, inability to contract foreign players], or if he has reassessed the value of his approach at the time.

Getting back to Mads - Bordeaux was unfortunate. It seemed like a bit of a madhouse at the time, from what he has said. He felt that preparation and conditioning was amateur [source: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.2985335 ], that gameplanning was amateur, that their coach was more interested in his personal profile than his job [Ibanez missed Bordeaux matches so he could do TV commentary on other matches, which is ass-backward] and that they weren't interested in listening to constructive criticism about how to get better.

I haven't seen anything of his time at Bristol, but it seems pretty obvious that he is really low on confidence at the moment, and that's never going to be good as an outhalf.

With regards to a return to Leinster, I'd go against the grain in that I'd love to have him back. He has been earning a fortune over the last four years [source: https://www.balls.ie/rugby/french-newsp ... aux-365413 ], so he would have to take a massive paycut – like a huge, 75% paycut. And there's no guarantee that he'd be playing week-in, week-out. But if he wanted to come back to play for Leinster, I'd love to have him back. He's a true blue and at his best is a magic player ... he plays a sh*tload of positions, is one of the best goalkickers in the NH and has a great attitude. I think he definitely wants to play for us, and if he is realistic about his earning power – which he can afford to be, he has made a mint over the last while – and we could get him past Nucifora, than I think he'd be a great pick-up.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I think it would be a mistake to re-sign him. It could lead to Harry Byrne or Ciaran Frawley not getting enough gametime and eventually leaving. There's Hawkshaw in the pipeline as well.

Madigan's a talented player, but not ideally suited to any one position imo. 12 is probably his best position, if you're looking for an Aussie-style, outhalf type IC (which would probably mean picking a Tuilagi or Te'o type 13 for balance). I prefer your Conor O'Brien type big, powerful 12.

I seem to remember thinking Madigan was lucky enough to be getting selected ahead of Marsh before he left, and, in hindsight, I think favouring him over Jackson for the Argentina quarter final was probably a mistake.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

He was the "player of the season" for Bristol in his first year. He hasn't been bad there at all, he just fell behind a good player in Sheedy last year, but still had 19 premiership appearances. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

But no, I wouldn't resign him. Ulster could do with him though.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

He's currently behind both Sheedy and and 18 year old Welsh 10.

Albeit starting on Sat in Europe for his first appearance since September.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Mads pulling all the strings in 1st half against Stade. 16-8 and he looks like he's doing an audition!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:He's currently behind both Sheedy and and 18 year old Welsh 10.

Albeit starting on Sat in Europe for his first appearance since September.
He's also versatile though
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Oisin Heffernan is rumored to be joining a prem club next season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I have it in my head that Jack McGrath is on an Ulster contract from the end of the season and not a central. Can't find any info though. Did I imagine it?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Ian Madigan “close to” signing for Ulster

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/report-ian-madigan-427959
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -xmvzz56cj

Stan Wright article in the Times in the UK. Don't pay for access so can't say what it says. May just go buy it later - need some paper for paint projects.
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Robin Copeland will join Soyaux Angoulême XV Charente
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

blockhead wrote:Robin Copeland will join Soyaux Angoulême XV Charente
I was struggling to remember if he made any impact in the Leinster academy. I found this article from 2012 which tells the story:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 14559.html
Did he even play for Leinster A? I admire guys like him that take the circuitous route to a professional career after getting cut from one of the Irish provinces: like Copeland, Downey, McKInley, James Hart (moved from Munster to Biarritz last year) and others. It shows some level of resilience to re-build a pro rugby career. It's a ruthless business.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

El Diablo wrote:
blockhead wrote:Robin Copeland will join Soyaux Angoulême XV Charente
I was struggling to remember if he made any impact in the Leinster academy. I found this article from 2012 which tells the story:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 14559.html
Did he even play for Leinster A? I admire guys like him that take the circuitous route to a professional career after getting cut from one of the Irish provinces: like Copeland, Downey, McKInley, James Hart (moved from Munster to Biarritz last year) and others. It shows some level of resilience to re-build a pro rugby career. It's a ruthless business.
Possibly a bit unfair to include McKinley in that list - he wasn’t cut by Leinster he retired due to injury.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Conor Gilsenan forced to retire.

the42.ie/conor-gilsenan-retirement-5192586-Sep2020/?utm_source=shortlink
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

OTT wrote: September 12th, 2020, 1:06 pm Noel Reid red carded last night.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/watc ... but/629858
Very unlucky. He stopped running and the guy fell into him. Still looked bad though. Was the retaliation punished? It was a solid yellow.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/feature ... g-at-bath/

Article about Freddie Burns but interesting bit about Girve here
Girvan Dempsey’s influence as Bath’s attack coach doesn’t appear that obvious, why?

‘Girvs’ is a good coach who has great ideas, but I don’t know whether he’s being overpowered by the forward pack and the way Stuart Hooper and Neal Hatley want the game played.

When I look at that Bath squad, if I was the opposition I’d be petrified of giving them broken field because with guys like Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph and the wingers I’ve mentioned, they could be devastating.

They’ve got Joe Cokanasiga to come back and guys like Cameron Redpath and Tom de Glanville are great broken-field players, so much more needs to come from Bath if they’re to beat sides like Exeter and Sale, who also have dominant packs.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Bryan Bryne starting for Bristol in the HC against ASM.
Anyone But New Zealand