Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

thecomedian
Beginner

Re: RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Post by thecomedian »

FLIP wrote:
thecomedian wrote:
FLIP wrote:That's clearly an arm not a shoulder.
Ah it’s a soft shoulder, plain stupid as the ball was there for him. No need to do it.
The arm clearly makes contact first. Don't make excuses for corruption

Grow up. We’re playing cr@p.
Our own mistakes made all their tries.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

This might be a good think for Irish rugby if it means a change to a more expansive style of rugby. NZ are just lining up to smash our players.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

dropkick wrote:This might be a good think for Irish rugby if it means a change to a more expansive style of rugby. NZ are just lining up to smash our players.
We need to bring in a new team, atleast the future for Leinster looks very bright so it’s not the end of the world, also keep in mind Ireland u20s won the grand slam this year so the future is bright
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Pilotman123 wrote:
IanD wrote:Won't happen but let's go nuts.

Larmour on at 15. Joey on at 10 or maybe 12 and let's run everything.
And while we’re at it we might aswell make stander take the kicks
Good call. He could certainly penalty kicks from hand.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Harrowing. From clashed heads in virtually the first tackle, the way the first 10 particularly was reffed, we haven’t caught a single break, nothing has worked, and New Zealand have not messed around at all. 4 more years, eh.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Game over
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Just remember that the last ref who reffed NZ right got sent death threats.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

My God Stockdale is atrocious defensively. Hasn't a clue.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Atleast I won something, I betted that NZ would win 46-14
Last edited by Pilotman123 on October 19th, 2019, 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Atleast I won something, I betted that NZ would win 46-14
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Stick up the betslip there...

What odds did you get?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Not one Irish player was errorless. Very disappointed with the number of mistakes made by individual players.

Unexpectedly inept. Enjoy the remainder of the games.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Well that performance put the tin hat on an awful year of rugby from Ireland. We weren't even second best out there today.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

wixfjord wrote:Stick up the betslip there...

What odds did you get?
How do you send in a picture
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Lovely gesture for Rory Best from New Zealand at the end there.

Makes hating New Zealand more difficult.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

IanD wrote:Lovely gesture for Rory Best from New Zealand at the end there.

Makes hating New Zealand more difficult.
Yeah agree.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Pilotman123 wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Stick up the betslip there...

What odds did you get?
How do you send in a picture
Upload it somewhere and link to it.

What odds did you get?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I said that I couldn't see us winning, but I really didn't see that kind of performance coming. Even with all the poor performances and worrying signs from this calendar year I didn't think it was possible for NZ to rack up nearly 50 points because of the experience and quality that we had. I was worried about Owens before the game but thought he was pretty good, nobody to blame but ourselves.

The handling errors were unreal. The kicking game was shocking and I can't understand why we persisted with those long kicks yet again, truly baffling that we haven't learned any lessons in that regard.

I thought Murray was really really poor and don't understand why he stayed on for so long. Earls had a bit of a mare and think that was somewhat predictable so Conway or Larmour (who I thought played really well) should have started. The centres were both very poor and Stockdale had a mare as well. He did well for one restart and one break but other than that he had that awful defensive mistake for Smith's try, should have been carded for the failed intercept that he didn't need to go for, and made loads of other errors too. Johnny looked old and unfortunately it really did look like this this was a year too far for most of that side.

Healy was poor and Furlong anonymous, although I thought Best played pretty well. His darts were alright and he worked hard to slow down NZ ball, unfortunately he was the only one. Henderson failed to show in a big game again, I think it's now clear that he's better suited to the bench at international level. He has had some great games for Ireland (France last year being one where his workrate in winning the ball back from a drop out and then carrying and rucking relentlessly until Johnny kicked the drop goal) but we need more in the engine room next year. James Ryan was alright, got involved in a few scraps at the end which showed his frustration but I really got the feeling he was letting NZ know that he'll be back, and I'd make him captain in the spring. Thought CJ played well and POM had a few big moments but was quiet as usual outside of them and the penalty he gave away was just thick. Josh fairly anonymous too really, don't think he made any errors but we missed Leavy.

Thought the bench did pretty well but most were on too late.

NZ weren't even that good IMO. So many of their scores came from our mistakes which were from pressure we put on ourselves as much as anything, and our defence out wide was shocking yet again. I don't mean that NZ were lucky or poor or anything, in actual fact I think it's the best they've played in over four years, just that we destroyed ourselves as much as they did. Their error count was very low and their skill level and accuracy was amazing. Their identification of space and ability to get into it ASAP has always been outstanding but it was on another level today and we couldn't cope at all.

I thought Kieran Read was done a year or two ago but then you see him smashing our players early on and delivering that beautiful offload under our posts. NZ backed him but cut Franks and Ben Smith, and had SBW benching. Perhaps we needed to be as ruthless as them during the 6N or at the various troubling times since then in order to put in a performance today.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Owens Refereed the Match , like he always referees - he likes to let things flow, and generally ignores side entry at ruck time.
But I know that , and goodness knows, all our players have been reffed often enough by Nigel to know it too. for what its worth, I think he had a good game today, though I still think , that if England dont make the final , Wayne Barnes should definitely get the gig.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Awful game and yes the storyline in some areas will be NZ were incredible but I am not so sure. NZ made many mistakes and lived off endless brutal play from us. I thing England may beat them and won't be surprised if they do. They cruised past Aus today.

Bizarre how bad we have got so quickly........but in hindsight I think in time we will look back at the end of Joe's reign as being too conservative and not being prepared to bring young players through and trust them and too much emphasis on trusting the old guard and players with big reputations rather than actual performances. Looking at performances a NZ coach and ethos quite possibly would not have had Murray, Kearney, Best, O'Mahony, Henderson or Stander starting today.

Sad way for Joe to go.